Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak4 in 5 m2, truly stoked

Postby jatem » Sat May 09, 2020 8:17 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:45 am
Wow wow wow .... please censure this dangerous topic otherwise i may loose some euros on a future peak4 ...
:evil:
Haven't you tried one yet, despite being in the original peak4 thread for more than a year now?
lamza wrote: Guys
Is 5m good enough for light winds around 8 knots for my 63kgs/140 lbs?
Or should i take 8m
Depends on your skill, board floatation and wing size, maybe 9-10 knots upwards. The 5m is a good size to start with, more fun than the 8m. Once you're used to the 5m, and have gone on to purchase a 3m & 4m, the 8m is nice to have for light days, way more power.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat May 09, 2020 10:07 am

:lol: I do not think i was the originator... maybe i am wrong
I tried to try once the peak4 3m (on hydrofoil I mean), but wind was too low.
Can I have your advice , from owner only please, which would be the range of use and sweetspot between 4m and 5m ? I am 62kg with a 1200cm2 wing. Oberall i think i like to have some power.

Initially i was thinking to the 5m but reading at tomtom nice reviews, i gave a big doubt....

Use: mainly in waves when existing, quite rare, so by default also some carving and transitions plays, snowkite. Below I have the Conceptair Wave 3m that i intend to keep.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Sun May 10, 2020 8:29 am

Had a quick 30' test with the 5m this week

I was perfecly powered at 15-17 knots @ 100kg with a big wing. Same power as the 6,2 Cloud I would say. Didn't test lower end nor upper end...
Drift is amazing indeed, the kite stays where you left it and gives power on demand when needed
It turns quite fast (it is OK, no more). I used pintxo bar 52cm with 24m lines, 21m would be better I think.
Medium bar pressure (more the Cloud E but WAY less then CA Wave 8,5) so you can ride it one-handed no problem

For me 2 downsides:
- the flapping is really anoying and makes it unconfortable to ride (bar is "shacking")
- I will not try any transitions or anything risky to avoid dropping it in the water. So quite an anxious ride...

I think it makes sence if you want to surf with 0 power but if you like to work the kite and follow the kite in the surf then Clouds are a better + better allrounder.
My 2 cents.
These users thanked the author Frankieboy for the post (total 2):
a99 (Sun May 10, 2020 9:03 am) • tomtom (Sun May 10, 2020 9:05 am)
Rating: 6.06%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun May 10, 2020 9:04 am

15-17 - is too much even for 100kg - thus flapping. If it flaps you are on too big kite. Simple as that - thats why you need more sizes than "normal" kite, even though i prefer be on sweetspot on normal kite too /more sizes/. Reason for this is peak canopy cannot maintain integrity with too low AOA. Flapping is flutter. Peak canopy needs pressure on bridal to maintain integrity.
If your peak is flapping you use it incorrectly. I think clouds are similar. Also peaks cannot really give you 0 power if using too big size.
At 90kg in wetsuit i can use 3m Peak in 17knt. So you should be on 4. Then you can work kite. Actually right way to use Peaks is work the kite.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sun May 10, 2020 10:37 am

tomtom wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:04 am
15-17 - is too much even for 100kg - thus flapping. If it flaps you are on too big kite. Simple as that - thats why you need more sizes than "normal" kite, even though i prefer be on sweetspot on normal kite too /more sizes/. Reason for this is peak canopy cannot maintain integrity with too low AOA. Flapping is flutter. Peak canopy needs pressure on bridal to maintain integrity.
If your peak is flapping you use it incorrectly. I think clouds are similar. Also peaks cannot really give you 0 power if using too big size.
At 90kg in wetsuit i can use 3m Peak in 17knt. So you should be on 4. Then you can work kite. Actually right way to use Peaks is work the kite.
:thumb: :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 10, 2020 10:41 am

Frankieboy wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:29 am
Snip...

I think it makes sence if you want to surf with 0 power but if you like to work the kite and follow the kite in the surf then Clouds are a better + better allrounder.
My 2 cents.

NIce you had the chance to ride one :thumb:

It will take some time to get used to, and then it rarely flap nomore, just as tomtom wrote.

Wanting to surf with 0 power is fine indeed yes, but it is perfect for riding working the kite with lots of power, that is what I like to do often.

Wait till you get more used to it, and then you will see how magic it becomes.

You might not like it, we are all different, but you definitely need more time till you can use it, I can see reading your post from the very first day.

It is so controllable one wont believe it, till you know.

Means you have to spend a bit of time getting used to it of course.

8) Peter

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Sun May 10, 2020 11:02 am

tomtom wrote:
I guess I am mentally not ready to take a 5m is less then 15 knots :oops:

I'll give it a go in lighter wind :thumb:

Wielandt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Holten
Farø
Style: HF,
Gear: Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo, Airush Ultra, Storm Voyager, Gong strutless
LFSolo
Moses HF.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Wielandt » Sun May 10, 2020 11:05 am

Wauw seems like the Peak 4 is a new thing to try when foiling.

Have no experince with foilkites at all. Some of you mentioned that the Peak4 is a treat to launch and gets more places avaible for launching, How come ??? Is it easy to launch and land by yourself ??? Important for me as I foil 95% of the time alone.

Regards from Denmark

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun May 10, 2020 11:16 am

I asked on the general topic on peak 4 but with non answer yet , so maybe here :
I want to buy and test one :-) question is would better suit 4m or 5m in may case (as a tarter since I understand 3 and 4 and 5 are required :-) ); for memory : 63 kg, 1200cm2 Ketos ; my wave kite for highest winds is CA Wave 3m ;

I was initially on a 5m but looking at some comment , I am now hesitating with a 4m ; I do not look for lowest wind, more in the range of 12-18 knots where rare waves here start to raise. one big criteria would be the comfort wind range and absolute wind range since conditions here maybe a bit gusty

Merci for your advices

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Sun May 10, 2020 12:04 pm

tomtom wrote:
Agree with Tom on all accounts.

Mirrors my experience with 3m, 4m and 5m peaks.

Return to “Foil Kites”