Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Freestyle kite cabrinha FX or Naish Dash

Postby Ludmil » Sun May 10, 2020 9:04 am

Kehler wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:03 pm
Hi Lumil

Went for the stomp in 138cm. must say it’s a brilliant board. Though I think I got it a size to big! I’m only 66kg in weight.

What size do you use and how much do you weigh?
I am around 75 kilos and my Stomp is 138, but oftentimes I am thinking shouldn't I have gotten the 142...
For boots I think 138 should be fine for you. Btw, I think that not only the weight is what comes into play when choosing size, height is important as much as the weight...
For boots the bigger the better. :)
L.

Kehler
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SYDVESTPYNTEN
Favorite Beaches: Strandparken
Style: TT
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Kehler » Mon May 11, 2020 8:59 pm

Ludmil wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:04 am
Kehler wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:03 pm
Hi Lumil

Went for the stomp in 138cm. must say it’s a brilliant board. Though I think I got it a size to big! I’m only 66kg in weight.

What size do you use and how much do you weigh?
I am around 75 kilos and my Stomp is 138, but oftentimes I am thinking shouldn't I have gotten the 142...
For boots I think 138 should be fine for you. Btw, I think that not only the weight is what comes into play when choosing size, height is important as much as the weight...
For boots the bigger the better. :)
L.

stoked_sender
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Naish Dash
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby stoked_sender » Thu May 21, 2020 4:56 am

Just thought i'd share my 5 cents as i currently have both, 2018 (2nd release) and 2019 (3rd release) versions in 9m and managed to take them both out recently, even thought we've entered a winter season here so the conditions are not that great.

I've read few comments here and there that 2018 is "messed up" and doesn't work as well as 2017 (which i haven't had a chance to try but i assume it's very similar to the 2019 version). While i must acknowledge that there is a massive difference between the two, and i mean MASSIVE - if i didn't know i would've thought it's actually a different kite - i wouldn't disregard the 2018 as yet. I have a very limited pure C kite experience but i'd say that if you're coming from kites such as Torch and looking for a little more crossover, yet don't want to give up that C kite feel then the 2018 version is the kite you want - Compared to the 2019 it has that amazing punchy, rocket-like feel when you take off and slack is just so much better when unhooking. This is definitely because 2018 is sitting much further forward in the window over the 2019 ... i actually struggle unhooking with the 2019 but that also might be because i suck.

The 2019 version on the other hand feels much more like pivot (but not really, it's much more playful, fun and exciting ;)) and sits deeper in the window so it feels the low-end is better. The jumps are more floaty and you definitely get better hangtime without trying too much compared to the 2018. I also felt like there is a less pull in kiteloops with the 2019. I reckon this is because of reduced LE taper in 2019 over 2018, but i'm not expert here.

Now i have not tried the 2020 (latest) version yet but it sounds like they've increased the LE taper again, bringing it closer to the 2018 and with the added bridle option it sounds like it could give you an option of 2018 behaviour and 2019 behaviour. Which i reckon is pretty great as there is no better or worse, they're just different suiting different riding style and expectation from a kite. Would be great to hear from someone who has tried the 2020?

To sum it up - When i feel like boosting i'd go for 2019, for unhooking and more "raw" feel i'd go for 2018.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Fri May 22, 2020 6:07 pm

stoked_sender wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:56 am
Just thought i'd share my 5 cents as i currently have both, 2018 (2nd release) and 2019 (3rd release) versions in 9m and managed to take them both out recently, even thought we've entered a winter season here so the conditions are not that great.

I've read few comments here and there that 2018 is "messed up" and doesn't work as well as 2017 (which i haven't had a chance to try but i assume it's very similar to the 2019 version). While i must acknowledge that there is a massive difference between the two, and i mean MASSIVE - if i didn't know i would've thought it's actually a different kite - i wouldn't disregard the 2018 as yet. I have a very limited pure C kite experience but i'd say that if you're coming from kites such as Torch and looking for a little more crossover, yet don't want to give up that C kite feel then the 2018 version is the kite you want - Compared to the 2019 it has that amazing punchy, rocket-like feel when you take off and slack is just so much better when unhooking. This is definitely because 2018 is sitting much further forward in the window over the 2019 ... i actually struggle unhooking with the 2019 but that also might be because i suck.

The 2019 version on the other hand feels much more like pivot (but not really, it's much more playful, fun and exciting ;)) and sits deeper in the window so it feels the low-end is better. The jumps are more floaty and you definitely get better hangtime without trying too much compared to the 2018. I also felt like there is a less pull in kiteloops with the 2019. I reckon this is because of reduced LE taper in 2019 over 2018, but i'm not expert here.

Now i have not tried the 2020 (latest) version yet but it sounds like they've increased the LE taper again, bringing it closer to the 2018 and with the added bridle option it sounds like it could give you an option of 2018 behaviour and 2019 behaviour. Which i reckon is pretty great as there is no better or worse, they're just different suiting different riding style and expectation from a kite. Would be great to hear from someone who has tried the 2020?

To sum it up - When i feel like boosting i'd go for 2019, for unhooking and more "raw" feel i'd go for 2018.
Interesting, thanks for sharing.
I guess you mean 2018/19, 2019/20 and the latest is 2020/21, correct?
I have 18/19 and 19/20, and honesty didn't notice that big of a difference between both models for unhooking...Especially the in the pop/slack department.
2019/20 has little more pop for me but relaunch is bit more technical in light wind. I should compare my both 11m (magic size :) ) side by side just out of curiosity...

Kehler
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SYDVESTPYNTEN
Favorite Beaches: Strandparken
Style: TT
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Kehler » Sat May 23, 2020 10:09 pm

Hi guys.

I got the dash 20/21 and also tried the 18/19. More or less the same. The unhook part is fine, but the feeling is nothing like the torch, if your only going for unhooked surf I would prefer the Torch. During the trick dash is way harder to feel where it is in sky compared to the torch, and the dash is fast as hell, a little to fast after my opinion.

The Stomp I had second thoughts about, that is absolutely a brilliant board. Pop ✔️ Landings ✔️ upwind ✔️

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun May 24, 2020 10:24 pm

Hi Kehler,

Hope you're enjoying the new kites. The Dash has grown on me now and I really like the 11m. You need the Dash on the correct Naish 55 bar to get the most out of it. I flew it on an Ozone bar and it was not good (slow turning and not reactive), I bought a 2020 Naish bar and much improved.
The unhook part is fine, but the feeling is nothing like the torch, if your only going for unhooked surf I would prefer the Torch
This I 100% agree with and think I may have said previously too. The Torch is so direct and precise unhooked, it's just brilliant unhooked. The Dash is nowhere near as good as the Torch unhooked, however the Dash is much smoother on the body and just easier all round.

Torch = perfect for unhooking, ripping you off the water jumping with good height and smooth winds. The Torch's weakness is very little float.

Dash = Hooked in boosting big air, lofty jumps and general ripping around fun. I think the Torch, size for size, is much faster turning than the Dash. Jumping is hard to call... the Dash may edge this one. I'm enjoying a mixed quiver of Dash (9,11 & 14m) & Torch's (10 & 11m) currently, both great kites :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”