Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Launches The Reach

Forum for kitesurfers
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue May 12, 2020 9:31 am

patternw wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:54 am
Picked up a North Reach the other week and finally had enough sessions to get a good impression of it. REAL's review is pretty well spot-on. The kite is truly a do-it-all machine. I feel like over the years this idea has been marketed quite hard, almost to the point where it's not really unlike a brand to have "that" kite. The Reach is the first one of these types of kites that truly does do it all, and does it quite well. It jumps well, loops even better. Foils well, surfs well. Unhooks pretty well (this is the only category I think it doesn't do as well as the others).

It turns very fast, almost has a snappy feel to it. I'm sure this is due to the limited bridaling. It has a big range, too. I rode it today in everything from 18 to 26 (with gusts near 30) and had a blast on a twin tip. It's very, very stable. I would definitely want something like this for someone to learn on.

I really like it in a 9m size, as this is typically the size where I'd have a crossover kite. Something that I could ride in the waves should the wind drop a bit, as well as foil, and lastly ride with a twin tip and enjoy freestyle stuff. Honestly, when the Moto came out I was hoping it would ride like this. Huge fan of the kite, can't wait to get more sessions on it. Hope this helps!
Out of interest which other do-it-all kites are you able to compare it to other than the Moto? Airush Union/Ozone Enduro/Duotone Evo/etc

User avatar
Youtch
Frequent Poster
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:00 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby Youtch » Tue May 12, 2020 10:35 am

What about stability at zenith? The other north kites seem to have trouble with this as a result of the briddle system.

luca
Medium Poster
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:56 pm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby luca » Tue May 12, 2020 11:32 am

Youtch wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:35 am
What about stability at zenith? The other north kites seem to have trouble with this as a result of the briddle system.
They don't have trouble. It is absolutely fine tuned. Especially the Orbit is performance trimmed to the end of the wind window. That makes it special in riding, looping and big air. As a rookie running fully depowered with the kite in zenith take better something differnt that is sitting more backwards in the wind window.

User avatar
Youtch
Frequent Poster
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:00 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby Youtch » Tue May 12, 2020 1:27 pm

""At the top of the wind range and when the kite is fully loaded against the edge, we found it a little too easy to over depower the kite slackening the rear lines which in turn causes the wingtips to become unstable...be sure to keep a little backline pressure. "
This is from ikitesurfingmag, there have been similar reviews by independent people with same feedback about all new North kites.

Kitefinder shared also the same feedback on north kites, people on the beach are reporting similar issue also.

Perfect kite does not exist even less with v1 version where it is nearly impossible to account for all parameters with first batch and test all sizes under every single conditions between 2 seasons. If the kite was already perfect as-is, as they are trying to convince us, there would be no need for v2.

I personnally always wait for new version to come out to learn what needed to be improved on previous version beyond marketing bullshit, before buying the previous version. If kite manufacturer would openly shared what they are working on for next versions, since next version is under design almost before old version go to full blown production, it would give them much more credibility.

North pushed marketing bullshit to new limits, it does not mean they don t do good kites, they came with a lot of very refreshing ideas and I m very glad we have a new actor in the marker, it just means that the BS made them less credible, especially with a full range of v1 kite.

Plus you cannot have the advantage of no pulley, fast turn, direct response, without the disadvantage of not having pulley. It is all about compromise.

patternw
Rare Poster
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:50 pm
Local Beach: West Michigan
Style: Surf, Wakestyle, Freestyle, Freeride
Gear: North Reach, Pulse, and Carve
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby patternw » Tue May 12, 2020 1:49 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:31 am

Out of interest which other do-it-all kites are you able to compare it to other than the Moto? Airush Union/Ozone Enduro/Duotone Evo/etc
I have actually ridden most every kite in this category, including all those mentioned. I've spent much less time on the Union and Enduro than an Evo, admittedly.

The biggest difference between the Reach and most of these other kites is the light and snappy feeling of the kite. Compared to other three-strut kites, it feels like it weighs a pound less for some reason - it's just quick and fun to fly.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I'll do my best to answer.

patternw
Rare Poster
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:50 pm
Local Beach: West Michigan
Style: Surf, Wakestyle, Freestyle, Freeride
Gear: North Reach, Pulse, and Carve
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby patternw » Tue May 12, 2020 1:51 pm

luca wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:32 am
Youtch wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:35 am
What about stability at zenith? The other north kites seem to have trouble with this as a result of the briddle system.
They don't have trouble. It is absolutely fine tuned. Especially the Orbit is performance trimmed to the end of the wind window. That makes it special in riding, looping and big air. As a rookie running fully depowered with the kite in zenith take better something differnt that is sitting more backwards in the wind window.
I'd totally agree with this. I kited in an area yesterday with some wild wind shadows and the Reach did a great job of helping me keep my kite in the sky.

User avatar
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2041
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Weight: 80kg, 1.80m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: This 'n that
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun 138x42
Ozone Enduro V2 7m/9m/12m
Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5m Aluula
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 141 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby iriejohn » Tue May 12, 2020 2:28 pm

Youtch wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:27 pm
Plus you cannot have the advantage of no pulley, fast turn, direct response, without the disadvantage of not having pulley. It is all about compromise.
This is true.

Personally I'm happy to take the direct response but give up a little top end wind range.

luca
Medium Poster
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:56 pm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby luca » Tue May 12, 2020 7:42 pm

Youtch wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:27 pm
""At the top of the wind range and when the kite is fully loaded against the edge, we found it a little too easy to over depower the kite slackening the rear lines which in turn causes the wingtips to become unstable...be sure to keep a little backline pressure. "
This is from ikitesurfingmag, there have been similar reviews by independent people with same feedback about all new North kites.

Kitefinder shared also the same feedback on north kites, people on the beach are reporting similar issue also.

Perfect kite does not exist even less with v1 version where it is nearly impossible to account for all parameters with first batch and test all sizes under every single conditions between 2 seasons. If the kite was already perfect as-is, as they are trying to convince us, there would be no need for v2.

I personnally always wait for new version to come out to learn what needed to be improved on previous version beyond marketing bullshit, before buying the previous version. If kite manufacturer would openly shared what they are working on for next versions, since next version is under design almost before old version go to full blown production, it would give them much more credibility.

North pushed marketing bullshit to new limits, it does not mean they don t do good kites, they came with a lot of very refreshing ideas and I m very glad we have a new actor in the marker, it just means that the BS made them less credible, especially with a full range of v1 kite.

Plus you cannot have the advantage of no pulley, fast turn, direct response, without the disadvantage of not having pulley. It is all about compromise.
Yeah Kitefinder is funny. In the past 10 years I landed many kites by pulling the kites at the frontlines to Frontstall and catch them. Big brands with awesome kites. If you want a kite that don‘t do that, take something with a big fronttube that sits deeper in the wind window.
But if you take this comparison. Look kitefinder Reach vs Evo 2020. they pulled the frontline in the zenith and BOTH stalled. Crazy the EVO too :naughty:

But all in all. The Orbit is not a Rookie kite. And that’s good because if you know what you do the Orbit is much better than other Kites in that category in Looping.

User avatar
Youtch
Frequent Poster
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:00 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby Youtch » Tue May 12, 2020 7:54 pm

The Evo of 2020 is also pulley less, correct?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed May 13, 2020 9:48 am

patternw wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:49 pm
nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:31 am

Out of interest which other do-it-all kites are you able to compare it to other than the Moto? Airush Union/Ozone Enduro/Duotone Evo/etc
I have actually ridden most every kite in this category, including all those mentioned. I've spent much less time on the Union and Enduro than an Evo, admittedly.

The biggest difference between the Reach and most of these other kites is the light and snappy feeling of the kite. Compared to other three-strut kites, it feels like it weighs a pound less for some reason - it's just quick and fun to fly.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I'll do my best to answer.
That comparison probably explains it nicely. I own some OR Flites so I understand the difference you feel moving to lighter kites (or kites that feel lighter in the air). My unions are allround but built tough so they don't feel light in the same way


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests