Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Race vs VMG

For all foil kite riders
Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board
Brand Affiliation: None

Flysurfer Race vs VMG

Postby Jyoder » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:28 pm

I’m buying an old 15m Race for light wind foiling to complement my 11m foilkite. Would prefer a VMG but the Price is right! I’m not a racer but I like to ride fast, powered on short lines.

Curious about the Race and VMG bridle differences and similarities and how they compare in flight and turning.

Is VMG pretty much the same kite just with different bridle? Could one convert a Race to a VMG bridle? Should one attempt it? Race bridle sure looks messy compared to VMG simplicity.

https://flysurfer.com/files/dlm_uploads ... 5-Rev3.pdf

https://flysurfer.com/files/dlm_uploads ... P-15-1.pdf
Attachments
CF1C8ECB-85EE-45BF-9558-6B8FDA4EAF9A.jpeg
2E4F3CD9-5D49-46C9-84EF-A1EC1A1AA529.jpeg

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Re: Flysurfer Race vs VMG

Postby kitexpert » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:27 pm

Quite different kites, bridle spacing and attachment points (kite inner structure), mixer and kite (wingtip) shapes are different. No way it is possible to put VMG bridle to Race, not even close it could work.

It is noteworthy how far front brakes are located in these kites.

sheehan
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Slingshot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sheehan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:06 pm

Yes you could convert a Race into a VMG( should be easy) and vice versa (harder). To change from Race to VMG you should just have to link the split risers onto a new mixer, which you can just convert the old one.

You will also get benefit converting the VMGs mixer from 4to1 to 3to1 or 2to1. Another option is a diablo line.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster

Postby Armin Harich » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:27 pm

KIteexpert ist right. You can not convert it into a VMG.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:25 am

Armin Harich wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:27 pm
KIteexpert ist right. You can not convert it into a VMG.
So
sheenan, kiteykitekite, foiliho or the other names he has used was giving not only very confusing information, but at times wrong and misleading info
:argue:
his arrogance was world leading. !

(the quality of being unpleasantly proud and behaving as if you are more important than, or know more than, other people)
and wrong??? :argue:

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:06 am

Foil wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:25 am

So
sheenan, kiteykitekite, foiliho or the other names he has used was giving not only very confusing information, but at times wrong and misleading info
:argue:
his arrogance was world leading. !

(the quality of being unpleasantly proud and behaving as if you are more important than, or know more than, other people)
and wrong??? :argue:
I am quite sure he meant mixer exchange, which should work but IDK why it should be done. Sonic Race has actually quite clever design (with added pulley 1:8) to pull wingtip A, which means relatively less pull for wingtip B-Z. This should be favorable because of so short chord at the wingtips. There is of course one added pulley line and a pulley per side, but that is not too much added complexity.

Long time ago I tried pulling wingtip A 1:4 and B-C 1:2 and it wasn't that bad. How this kind of things work depend on wingtip shape (chord length) and line row positions on the chord, and also kite size. Kite shape and bridle attachment points are of course fixed, so some mixer should work best but you can always try something different if you feel like it or preferably have an idea how to improve kite.

kiteexpertyexpert
Rare Poster
Gear: lots and lots of kites

Postby kiteexpertyexpert » Tue May 12, 2020 10:16 pm

Look at you wet turds in the rain.

If flysurfer's line plans are to be believed, then the VMG and race are basically the same kite. Which I have read flysurfer state before as correct. With the reasoning for the 2 models being the lovely IKA IKA idiot collective. You can see on the line plan everything is mostly the same except for some bridle placement at the tip and the mixer. The bridle placement is minor, but you could likely tune other any issues locally. The mixer should be straight forward to change.

So yes you can change a Race into a VMG and vice versa.

Oh and Armin is and has been occasionally wrong. Just because you are are a nice guy and run the best foil kite companies does not mean you are right on everything. A name like "kitexpert" is about as misleading as you could be from a start.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Sat May 16, 2020 2:56 am

I have owned both, you will find plenty of people who will talk about the differences in the Race and VMG. I liked both of them and if I have to pick a favorite it would probably be the Race. I know that the VMG is the newer design and has a simple bridle and it is great. I just find that the Race is a little lower bar pressure and while the Race bridle is more complicated, I like the feel and the handling.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat May 16, 2020 4:30 am

kiteexpertyexpert wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:16 pm
Look at you wet turds in the rain.

If flysurfer's line plans are to be believed, then the VMG and race are basically the same kite. Which I have read flysurfer state before as correct. With the reasoning for the 2 models being the lovely IKA IKA idiot collective. You can see on the line plan everything is mostly the same except for some bridle placement at the tip and the mixer. The bridle placement is minor, but you could likely tune other any issues locally. The mixer should be straight forward to change.

So yes you can change a Race into a VMG and vice versa.

Oh and Armin is and has been occasionally wrong. Just because you are are a nice guy and run the best foil kite companies does not mean you are right on everything. A name like "kitexpert" is about as misleading as you could be from a start.
Foilholio, I don't know how you keep getting on here and what bug you have up your ass but please stop. You are ruining any of the good name you use to carry, it's sad.

Return to “Foil Kites”