Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Does a 4 line kite work with any 4 line bar?

Forum for kitesurfers
RolandM
Rare Poster
Gear: 10m Bandit5, 12m Slingshot Rally
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does a 4 line kite work with any 4 line bar?

Postby RolandM » Fri May 15, 2020 1:37 am

Eduardo wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:26 am
tmcfarla wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:27 pm
Some bars use different pigtails, but this is an easy fix.
yes watch for that. check before you go to the beach so you can get some adapters. Otherwise, should be interchangeable. so the answer to your question is almost always yes.

But 7 years might be pushing it for other things. Are you sure the QR is in top shape? etc.
Yep, QRs are ok. I ALWAYS check it before I ride. Lines are also fine. No breaks, no stretch.... maybe because I don't have the possibility to be on the water for more than 30-35 hours on a yearly basis.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Fri May 15, 2020 6:24 am

RolandM wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:11 pm
Hi,
I'm about to replace my 12m kite. So far, whenever I bought a kite, I purchased 'its' bar as well. All of my kites are 4line kites. This time I would rather not buy another bar if the existing ones fit for the new kite. I wonder if the 2019 Cabrinha Switchblade will fly properly with my old Ozone Catalyst bar? Or with my 2013 F-One Bandit bar? At first I don't see any restriction but there may be something I miss.
Let me know your thoughts/experiences.
Also, I check the lines every time before I go for a ride. None of my lines have any problem. But I was thinking whether I should change them just because they are 7,6 and 5 years old? Do you change them just because they are old ( but apart from that there are no problems with your lines) ?
Thank in advance.
If the ozone is a 4-line single front line flagout it should work on any 4-line kite, safety wise. Only the low-V split can have a slight impact on the flying characteristics.

The monolith bar flags on both front lines and is unsafe to use on anything but the early bandits. Hell, even on those it wouldn't work in all situations like a single line flagout. That is why even Fone abandoned that system recently.
And don't get me going into details about their velcro quick release that completely becomes stuck together if you leave it untouched for a few sessions and the lever that tore off when you needed to activate the qr....

RolandM
Rare Poster
Gear: 10m Bandit5, 12m Slingshot Rally

Postby RolandM » Fri May 15, 2020 7:12 am

evan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:24 am
RolandM wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:11 pm
Hi,
I'm about to replace my 12m kite. So far, whenever I bought a kite, I purchased 'its' bar as well. All of my kites are 4line kites. This time I would rather not buy another bar if the existing ones fit for the new kite. I wonder if the 2019 Cabrinha Switchblade will fly properly with my old Ozone Catalyst bar? Or with my 2013 F-One Bandit bar? At first I don't see any restriction but there may be something I miss.
Let me know your thoughts/experiences.
Also, I check the lines every time before I go for a ride. None of my lines have any problem. But I was thinking whether I should change them just because they are 7,6 and 5 years old? Do you change them just because they are old ( but apart from that there are no problems with your lines) ?
Thank in advance.
If the ozone is a 4-line single front line flagout it should work on any 4-line kite, safety wise. Only the low-V split can have a slight impact on the flying characteristics.

The monolith bar flags on both front lines and is unsafe to use on anything but the early bandits. Hell, even on those it wouldn't work in all situations like a single line flagout. That is why even Fone abandoned that system recently.
And don't get me going into details about their velcro quick release that completely becomes stuck together if you leave it untouched for a few sessions and the lever that tore off when you needed to activate the qr....
Thanks.... so, it turns out that at the end of the day the bars are not really "idiot tax" as it's been mentioned before.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri May 15, 2020 11:01 am

RolandM wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:12 am
Thanks.... so, it turns out that at the end of the day the bars are not really "idiot tax" as it's been mentioned before.
No, they are not.

A better way to look at this is firstly to consider only bars with 4 lines, low V, equal length lines, single line flag out, reliable QR, long adjustable throw. Then when you have the bar consider only kites designed to fly on this type of bar (which is the de facto industry standard), there is plenty of choice. Ignore all other kites.

FYI I use Ozone Water V4 bars (which have SK99 lines), either 50cm (20") with 25m lines for 6/8/10/12, or 55cm (22") with 27m lines for light wind.

piper3
Rare Poster
Gear: North Neo 8 & 11

Postby piper3 » Fri May 15, 2020 9:24 pm

The thing about idiots is their endless effort to explain their position.

You have proven the point as you have quoted, but you fail to see it.

You can get most the components to make a bar off some where like aliexpress. You can also convert any bar to be compatible with any kite quite easily.

The myth of this bar only goes with this kite is pushed by people that want your money and the fools that believe them.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:20 am

Dude, in your fourth post you're calling someone an idiot?

You must be a very nice person, I'm sure we'd get along like a house on fire on the water.

What's wrong with some measure of politeness?

Return to “Kitesurfing”