Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

rear line adjusters for bar

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: rear line adjusters for bar

Postby Tomlutz » Mon May 11, 2020 8:27 am

loco4viento wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:33 pm

I remember a swiveling fairlead in the past but haven’t seen one in a while.
Not the right thread: I have used a srew with eye that can rotate / swivel, see my post in viewtopic.php?p=1092148#p1092148

Wasn't so sure how long lasting this solutiuon would be, but I have used it a lot now and it is working fine. It is for a big kite for that it is seential to be able to fully pull on one side and still have complete frictionless depower movement. - Tom

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Mon May 11, 2020 8:40 am

rynhardt wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:32 am
I prototyped a rear-line adjuster a while ago, that replaces the bar floats. Which means it would work with pretty much any bar.

It would allow 20cm of trim on each rear line by turning the red adjuster nut. The black shuttle would connect to one line end and the other line end to the screw body.
The adjuster contains detents which keeps the adjuster in place as long as there is line tension.

I never took it any further but it may be of interest to others here.
Very interesting. I assume you wanted to have this on both sides. But with a system to connect both rear lines inside the bar tube (like in the Kauper Bar, I have done in my DIY bars also) you could also have it only on one side and adjust both rear lines at the same time. - Tom

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Mon May 11, 2020 7:58 pm

Tomlutz wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:40 am

Very interesting. I assume you wanted to have this on both sides. But with a system to connect both rear lines inside the bar tube (like in the Kauper Bar, I have done in my DIY bars also) you could also have it only on one side and adjust both rear lines at the same time. - Tom
Yeah, one on each side. I was aiming for a cheap retrofit to my existing bars.

haleema
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Crazyfly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby haleema » Fri May 15, 2020 9:41 pm

Let me help you here before you stick that crazy metal contraption on a bar. If you want a superior bar hole, that is articulated, gives the lowest bar forces, lowest bar friction, low weight, simple, greatest bar movement and fastest turning. Listen.

Drill a hole sideways, small, in the center of the bar, and lash a small metal ring (say 15-20mm ID) to the bar with kite line. Pass the line through the drilled hole(and ring) once or twice then multiple times around the bar(and through the ring :o) to secure it. Do it tight.

It has been entertaining to watch the many attempts at bar holes so far though. Twas just a little cruel to keep you all lingering for so long though. :lol: This has all been done more than a decade ago. :bye:

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Fri May 15, 2020 9:51 pm

haleema wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:41 pm
Let me help you here before you stick that crazy metal contraption on a bar. If you want a superior bar hole, that is articulated, gives the lowest bar forces, lowest bar friction, low weight, simple, greatest bar movement and fastest turning. Listen.

Drill a hole sideways, small, in the center of the bar, and lash a small metal ring (say 15-20mm ID) to the bar with kite line. Pass the line through the drilled hole(and ring) once or twice then multiple times around the bar(and through the ring :o) to secure it. Do it tight.

It has been entertaining to watch the many attempts at bar holes so far though. Twas just a little cruel to keep you all lingering for so long though. :lol: This has all been done more than a decade ago. :bye:
Sounds really good, but do you have a pic on it please? I just didn’t undertand this, sorry :(

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Fri May 15, 2020 10:52 pm

omg wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:51 pm

Sounds really good, but do you have a pic on it please? I just didn’t undertand this, sorry :(
Don't hold your breath...

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:57 am

Assuming that this thread is about rear line trim adjustment for a foiling bar... I understand the allure of a rear line adjustment system but the drawback is the complexity. Why not just go with a minimalistic cam cleat on an above the bar trim system. My KISS bar is simple and functional, all parts are visible. Jeff Howard at kiteboarding.com retails them.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Sat May 16, 2020 9:35 am

Kitetwin-1 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:57 am
Assuming that this thread is about rear line trim adjustment for a foiling bar... I understand the allure of a rear line adjustment system but the drawback is the complexity. Why not just go with a minimalistic cam cleat on an above the bar trim system. My KISS bar is simple and functional, all parts are visible. Jeff Howard at kiteboarding.com retails them.
You mean the bars we already built and use :) I probably did my first one of those 20 years ago when every manufacturer use a strap and buckle. But yeah, maybe backline adjusters are too complicated, but I am curious to try new solutions...

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat May 16, 2020 11:01 am

It has been duscussed a lot . Without quoting the pros and cons again, i woupd sum-up my view by saying : It is a really different feeling triming by rear line, which, I personally like. No big rope flaping in front of you, light weight. Pleasure to trim with no load ... hard to explain why actually. But i understand your point, acting of triming maybe less rapid or "plug and play", so also depending on your frequency of triming. Because when not triming, rear adjuster is more transparent during your ride (99% of my ride time), more "roots", visually more pleasant.

I still use both systems.

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:11 pm

Thank you for the feed back, another thing is I am a very light weight foiler who adjusts trim frequently so any system has to be easy to use.

Return to “Gear Builders”