Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surfr. New kitesurf jump app

Here you will find commercial postings of any kind. Keep checking it to find great deals on gear, camps etc
Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Style: Freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebels 6M, 8m & 11m, 15m Juice, 17m Best Roca, on my Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surfr. New kitesurf jump app?

Postby Leon van Bergen » Sat May 16, 2020 12:10 pm

andylc wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:34 am
Looks great - pre-ordered. Also assuming safe, having your phone with you is no bad thing if you get into trouble. Great idea. Surprised about the claim on the website that you won’t make any money on this - why not? Assuming it works I think most would be happy to be enough to make sure the company makes money and survives.
Totally agree, Please make money on this and don’t make the same mistakes Woo made..

mkNY
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freeride\BigAir
Gear: 2019 Duotone Rebel 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq\North NTT
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Postby mkNY » Sat May 16, 2020 12:32 pm

This seems really interesting, but at this point all my friends are on Woo and most of the fun is having your friends all on the same platform.

If you could see both leaderboards merged in one spot this would really be an option.

flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood
Has thanked: 0

Postby flysurfing » Sat May 16, 2020 1:52 pm

Amazing, cant wait to replace my Piq with this !

Also i feel safer to keep my phone on the board than leaving it in my car or board bag by the beach...

herbertv123
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: The Slufter Bay
Favorite Beaches: Capetown, Brasil, Netherlands
Gear: Core XR6, GTS5, F-One WTF board, Surfr. app

Postby herbertv123 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:13 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:10 pm
andylc wrote:
Looks great - pre-ordered. Also assuming safe, having your phone with you is no bad thing if you get into trouble. Great idea. Surprised about the claim on the website that you won’t make any money on this - why not? Assuming it works I think most would be happy to be enough to make sure the company makes money and survives.
Totally agree, Please make money on this and don’t make the same mistakes Woo made..
Thanks, but no worries.. We're funded for quite some time, also we have very low costs (no hardware device). So the main investment is my own time, which I currently have plenty of :). This all started purely as a challenge with no commercial intentions. If it picks up good than, as mentioned in the FAQ of the website, we might have to charge a small amount. At this point we really want to built the community while not introducing tresholds.

BenBen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Northern Germany
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Pivot, Airush Lithium, Crazyfly Raptor

Postby BenBen » Sat May 16, 2020 3:19 pm

That's so cool. Thank you guys! Put in a donate option, so you never run out of coffee!

we
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Huguenot, Atlantic Beach Jax
Favorite Beaches: Vieux Fort, St. Lucia
Has thanked: 0

Postby we » Sat May 16, 2020 3:59 pm

It will be interesting how accurate this is for jumps. A WOO with a purpose built accelerometer should be a lot more accurate than the built in accelerometer in a phone. My experience is the GPS in a phone (both Apple and Samsung) is very inaccurate versus a specialized GPS. With that said, this should be really cool if it works and I could see a lot of benefits having a phone with you for safety.
These users thanked the author we for the post:
Pemba (Mon May 18, 2020 8:10 am)
Rating: 8.33%

nixmatters
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sat May 16, 2020 4:12 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:10 pm
andylc wrote:
I think the biggest mistake WOO made is not doing exactly this. Had they added the possibility to use your phone for measuring jumps, they would have blocked new entrants like Surfr for quite a while. I wouldn't trust them for the waterproof case though :lol:

HALF
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 88
Gear: 9m Cabrinha Radar (2016), 12m Reedin Supermodel, 12m Cabrinha Convert(2010), 9m Flysurfer Speed5(2017), 14m Airush Ultra v2 (2019), 15m Flysurfer Soul(2018), 19m Spleene X(2010)

Postby HALF » Sat May 16, 2020 4:19 pm

Woo may not have a "purpose built accelerometer", they are selling very small amount of devices compared to phones so I am pretty sure they use the same components as a mobile phone (and probably an older generation compared to the new phones). The difference is how you use the data you get from it, are you doing a simple low pass filtering or are you implementing some sort of sensor fusion by mixing data from gyroscope, barometer, accelerometer and magnetometer (if available) and later using Kalman filtering to reduce the mean error in the data that you got.

If this app is getting very small variations in the measurements(in different devices) and is also close to the PIQ i suspect both are doing the same type of measurements. And because of that i would trust them much more than WOO.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat May 16, 2020 4:34 pm

which ever product/app shows the higher jumps, wins :lol:

Havre
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat May 16, 2020 5:21 pm

Would be brilliant if this works. Will definitely try it out.

Return to “Special Offers”