Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Disappointed with Ozone v4 and v5, again!

Forum for kitesurfers
marioparacuru
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 60
Local Beach: Northeast, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Best wave spots in Ceará
Cape town
French Polynesia
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: More than 10 kites from different brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Disappointed with Ozone v4 and v5, again!

Postby marioparacuru » Sun May 17, 2020 4:07 pm

After come here to show my disappointment with the V4 5m that had terrible performance, here we come again to show more factory problems. Kind of problem that will surprise you after only 2 years: valve.

The v4 never had so good valves in my point of view. It's small, weak and don't have a good air flow. Now after 2 years all my V4s are breaking the valves. I just replaced many valves on another 2018 that belong to a friend, including the inflate valve that cracked in the base where its glued on the bladder. Hey, that kite has not more than 30 hrs of use and still, it has the same problem.

As soon as you see the first valve to fail, you can be sure: you gonna have to replace it all. Curiously, I have 2x 2014 kites from Ozone and it NEVER had any problems in the valves (although all Ozone from that year has problems in the dacron material in the struts).

I wish the new version v5 had something new. Ozone believe they kite is too good to be updated. That's the only explanation. Same shitty valves, same kite material (where's the triple or quadruple ripstop?), same shape, same inflate valve that requires adapter.

I was a fan from that brand years ago. The kite really performs good but looks like ozone doesn't give a fk to its customers. So if you're not Reo Steven's you definitely should be mad at it. Is it that hard to look at Duotone valves and realize it's much stronger/better??
20200517_113303.jpg
20200517_113221.jpg
20200505_195110.jpg
Attachments
20200517_113237.jpg
These users thanked the author marioparacuru for the post:
a99 (Sun May 17, 2020 6:24 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Disappointed with Ozone v4 and v5, again!

Postby knyfe » Sun May 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Jeez that looks horrible. What do you do to your kites? Is it a specific problem with that year? I had an edge for I don’t know how many years and never hand any valve issues until the cloth was so frail that I had to move on. I now own two othe edges, a 3-4 yo and a 2019 new one. Never seen a problem.

sewerrat
Rare Poster
Local Beach: north of santa cruz

Postby sewerrat » Sun May 17, 2020 7:38 pm

Bummer! Do you have any other brand kites that have the same storage and use and no problems? The black plastic failure looks like what happens when exposed to heat. Like maybe pump up two kites, leave one in the sun all day on hot beach... or store in car with windows rolled up, especially when stored wet? I got a used roof top Yakima box, painted it white and checked the temp. Much cooler than leaving in car. Between Slinghot, Wainman, and Ozone, only Ozone kites haven't had any valve problems of all my kites over two years old. I have Reo V4 and Reo 1. Hopefully the Ozone dealer or distributor can help you out. Besides not failing in the first place, a good brand will ship out parts fast and hopefully for free if you show you're the original owner.

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby gibsonandpickett » Mon May 18, 2020 5:17 am

I had the same problem on my V9 7 meter edge, The strut bladder hose(plastic piece) broke, Had only 5 sessions on it. Our kite repairer here says Ozone are now using very thin bladder material which makes them very hard to repair. He now will only will replace them

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby gibsonandpickett » Mon May 18, 2020 5:18 am

I had the same problem on my V9 7 meter edge, The strut bladder hose(plastic piece) broke, Had only 5 sessions on it. Our kite repairer here says Ozone are now using very thin bladder material which makes them very hard to repair. He now will only will replace them

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon May 18, 2020 7:43 am

With the risk of it sounding like a defense speech for Ozone, but obviously Ozone got a better view than any individual customer as to how often their kites fail and what causes those failures. I have had that conversation with the distributor in Norway and they seem to be on the ball - as long as customers report their issues to Ozone or their distributors of course.

If number of reported issues are overall low then it would be pretty silly to replace it with something that might be worse. Impossible to get down to 0 failures - and if product failed like for gibson regularly after 5 sessions Ozone would be out of business.

That said - those pictures are bad.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon May 18, 2020 8:56 am

I had to replace 4 valves showing similar problems from a different brand. It was one year old. Only 2 had actually split but another two were showing signs they were about to go. Its disappointing but its not just Ozone. I didn't get anything free from the importer but its worth dropping a line to the ozone rep and seeing if they can give you some free valves.

My guess was that it was to do with how the kite rolls and where the valves were placed for the standard fold into thirds when packed away.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Mon May 18, 2020 11:08 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:56 am
My guess was that it was to do with how the kite rolls and where the valves were placed for the standard fold into thirds when packed away.
No, I think it is when the kite flexes as you turn it, the tubes are too short so don't flex much, then they wiggle the black bladder nipples and eventually they just break.

F-One bladders do the same, they are the same design.

I moved to old North kites, the nipples are made of hard plastic and build like tanks. I don't care if they weigh a little more, at least I'm on the water and not at home finding leaks on my bladders :(
These users thanked the author kjorn for the post:
nothing2seehere (Tue May 19, 2020 9:40 am)
Rating: 3.03%

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Mon May 18, 2020 11:39 pm

A good point about storage which is cool NorCal garage in my case. They are not left in the baking car in the summer. Might that be a contributor?

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Wed May 20, 2020 4:22 am

Get in touch with your dealer or the country dealer. Ozone will replace these bladders for free.
We have seen a bit of this in Australia, and its unfortunately a bit random but definitely seems to occur in the warmer and more humid areas. Ozone is being exceptionally good about it though and looking after anyone that contacts them through their dealer network.

Return to “Kitesurfing”