Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Progression Foot Change video review

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
TilmanHH
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

New Progression Foot Change video review

Postby TilmanHH » Mon May 18, 2020 4:07 pm

Though I can do already the foot change, the progression video made my footchanges much more consistent (before: 80%, after: 95%).

The videos come from another universe concerning the quality of explanation. There are some tutorials on youtube, but this video is much longer and much has much more details.

If you crash your footchange, you can be sure you didn´t follow one of the key aspects in the video! It´s not that you can do every footchange after watching the video, but you can find out by yourself what went wrong. My main mistakes: Kite too high, didn´t create space for the new foot before the change.

It costs 8 Euro, but for me the price is really worth it!

https://www.progression.me/blog/new-rel ... as-landed/

Hopefully they will release more foil videos soon!
These users thanked the author TilmanHH for the post:
wheat (Wed May 20, 2020 6:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Re: New Progression Foot Change video review

Postby mar menor » Mon May 18, 2020 8:10 pm

They are good but don't understand the logic ,first video riding toeside,next footchange but the last in the series ,yet to released is carving turns.Shouldn't carving turns be first or maybe second?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon May 18, 2020 9:44 pm

Bah! Just learn to ride with feet really close together, then side by side. Teaches you balance point. Then practice riding with feet close together and lift back foot up and down quickly. Teaches you you can balance on one foot. Then just do it. Then learn the down pump before foot change.

TilmanHH
Medium Poster

Postby TilmanHH » Tue May 19, 2020 7:51 am

Congrats that you obviously managed the footchange in one or two sessions. It took me years to get it right strapless in gusty and choppy conditions;)

I am surprised too that carving turns are planned before tacks in the Progression series. I think carving turns are easy.

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Tue May 19, 2020 9:44 am

Hey, Rob here from Progression. Thanks for the review @TillmanHH, great to hear the videos help to up that consistency.

On the ordering of the videos - I made the Toeside video first because its the most straight forward to teach and I had the best footage for it, I was missing footage for the others. Also in many ways having an understanding of riding toeside is key if you want to carve or do the foot change because, for both of those techniques, you end up on your toeside at some point!

I had planned to get the Carving Turns video out next but that has proved the hardest of all the videos to make - it relatively easy to teach people in person when you can adjust what you teach to the conditions, peoples foil and kite choice and their experience but it's amazing how much you tweak what you say in some fundamental ways when you can react to all those variables. Someone riding a 12m kite in 10 knots on a 700 wing compared to a 6m in 20 knots on 1200 wing - and can they downloop? In the videos, I'm trying to ensure I give an overall set of techniques and drills but allow for all these different situations.

So I jumped back onto the Foot Change video because that is the technique most people find the hardness and the fundamentals are pretty much the same for all conditions, kites and foils. Also, we've taught this to so many people on our camps and private coaching, I knew I could really explain it well and get it out quicker. I think it's probably one of the best video I've made.

Anyway, I'm working on the carving turns video now.

And a quick note on tacks - yes they are the hardest but that all also makes them the hardness to teach. The last year has been a real eye-opener on tacking and breaking it down into its various parts and working out how equipment and conditions affect it. You also have 4 different tacks and the H2T 360, and different people find different ones easier to start with, so it is quite a big project and I want to get it right. Learning to tack is so hard because you are having to carve, foot change and, critically, fly the kite through a position where you can't see it for a relatively long period, all at the same time. So teaching tacking is way easier in person because we can watch all these parts for you, and even for us filming and reviewing that footage is key. Anyway, though teaching it this last year, polish my own tacks, filming and reviewing a lot of different people tacking, the way to teach it online is becoming more apparent and will be coming in some form in the near future, part of a somewhat bigger change to the Progression online coaching platform. For now if you want to learn to tack, come on a Progression Live camp or have a 1:1 session with us :-D
These users thanked the author robclaisse for the post (total 2):
wheat (Wed May 20, 2020 6:53 pm) • Aspiremr (Sat May 23, 2020 1:53 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Tue May 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Great vids ,looking forward to carving turns.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Wed May 20, 2020 9:07 pm

Well guys I am a happy men, sinds about 3 hours I can switch feet on the foil.

Paid the 6,99 yesterday but what helped me best was:
- a few years foiling and being very confortable on the foil - mostly riding regular so always left foot forward. Just tried to switch feet a couple of times before...
- exceptionnel conditions for learning today: 12 to 14 knots with very flat water (newer rode the ocean that flat !) powered OK on my 10,4 Cloud
- TomW's tip: riding feet as close as you can. This helped the most

All advises on the video are right but riding feet at 30cm distance and DARING is the key. Also the pop is crucial.
Looking at the video made me want to try today (I barely tried before...) so worth the 6,99 ;-)

Could jibe on the aire 80% in both directions in only one (perfect conditions) session.

What surprises me is that if felt more confortable (and more succes rate) from strong side (left foot fwd to right foot fwd) then from weak side (goofy to regular). This with down loop as it was the most natural way to go.

This opens up new perspectives and gives a rest to my left knee and leg

Stoked and sooo happy :-)

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Thu May 21, 2020 9:38 am

The tutorial is the best i have seen so far. And i have seen them all. I like to watch the fluid motion of the feet doing a flying foot switch. Very good breakdown of the steps. Some new infos. Worth it absolutely
Now i can understand people watching ballett and enjoying the art of movement

alan4
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 87
Local Beach: merville franceville en france et los narejos en espagne
Favorite Beaches: narejos en espagne
Style: foil
Gear: foil ketos et duotone daytona .soul 10 et 15 mono 5et 7 et 9 rebel.
Been thanked: 0

Postby alan4 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:05 pm

I am French I bought the video however it was impossible to translate it as it is not a YouTube video too bad otherwise indeed the video is well done

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:48 pm

I bought this video, I can say it's the BEST tutorial I have seen. I can assure you that you won't regret.

I wish you have this kind of video about Surfboard Strapless freestyle tricks.

Return to “Hydrofoil”