Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surf eye. How Common?

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surf eye. How Common?

Postby iriejohn » Wed May 20, 2020 5:50 am

sewerrat wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:19 am
I still think staring at the friggin computer screen all day is the worst thing my eyes are subject to. :o
I don't have Pterygium (yet), but talking about computer screens ...

Years ago I got calcific tendonitis (frozen shoulder) in my right shoulder from decades of pushing a mouse ( I was a software developer working at the pixel level). The shoulder froze solid, and was incredibly painful. I had a big hydrocortisone injection directly into the shoulder. After months of painful physio got full use back again. So switched to using a track ball.

Then a few years later, after even longer looking at computer screens my eyes deteriorated to the point that I became very short sighted. So I had laser eye surgery (LASIK) in 2001 (by coincidence, on the same day as 9/11) and got my unaided distance vision back (now 20/16) which I still have because I had special glasses for computer work, and now don't look at computer screens very much. Only the tiny screens on the 'new' PCs aka mobile phones and tablets ...
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
tautologies (Thu May 21, 2020 5:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

davedej
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zandvoort, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Table view Capetown
Canos de meca Spain
Style: freestyle
Gear: North Dice 2016 5/7/9/11 m
Ride clash 140 2.1
Brand Affiliation: We Test Kites

Postby davedej » Wed May 20, 2020 8:54 am

jakemoore wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:56 pm
I’m doing two pterugium surgeries today. Wear sunglasses.
Jake take care!
Would like to know what your experiences are in protection/sunglasses.
Dave
We Test Kites

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Wed May 20, 2020 3:38 pm

I have been Windsurfing for 30 years all around the globe. 100 days a Year. Never any Problems.

Startet kiting last September. Massiv Red eyes. This is lasting for days.

Base cap is helping.
Never dared to go with sunglases. Afraid of possible Injuries from Impact. Broken Glass... what ever.

Also Not sure about cheap eBay water Sport sun glases, with relevant uva uvb Filters.....
These users thanked the author 1234567Simon for the post:
davedej (Wed May 20, 2020 4:22 pm)

davedej
Medium Poster
Canos de meca Spain
Ride clash 140 2.1

Postby davedej » Wed May 20, 2020 4:25 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:38 pm
I have been Windsurfing for 30 years all around the globe. 100 days a Year. Never any Problems.

Base cap is helping.
Never dared to go with sunglases. Afraid of possible Injuries from Impact. Broken Glass... what ever.

Also Not sure about cheap eBay water Sport sun glases, with relevant uva uvb Filters.....
Yes that last one is something we want to get into. But only if this is worth the effort.
One of our test team members is diagnosed with it recently. She bought some ones to test them. the first one is lost in the sea already :o
Thanks for contributing!

Bill C
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill C » Wed May 20, 2020 4:49 pm

I had 'surf eye' when I called into work and said I couldn't see myself coming in.
These users thanked the author Bill C for the post:
styleito (Thu May 21, 2020 7:05 pm)

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed May 20, 2020 6:36 pm

davedej wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:54 am
jakemoore wrote:
Jake take care!
Dave
We Test Kites
Just to be clear: two other person's eyes.

I'm wearing Costa Rx Reefton sunglasses with the Silver Sunrise lenses and I love them. Disclaimer is we are a dealer and Costa takes very good care of me. I wear them enough that I have a raccoon eye suntan even though I am also disciplined about putting zinc on my nose. But what really matters is not the cost or color is just that you use them. Even cheap glasses that you don't mind sacrificing to the sea are a great choice as long as you wear them.

davedej
Medium Poster
Canos de meca Spain
Ride clash 140 2.1

Postby davedej » Wed May 20, 2020 7:54 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:36 pm
davedej wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:54 am
jakemoore wrote:
Jake take care!
Dave
We Test Kites
Just to be clear: two other person's eyes.

I'm wearing Costa Rx Reefton sunglasses with the Silver Sunrise lenses and I love them. Disclaimer is we are a dealer and Costa takes very good care of me. I wear them enough that I have a raccoon eye suntan even though I am also disciplined about putting zinc on my nose. But what really matters is not the cost or color is just that you use them. Even cheap glasses that you don't mind sacrificing to the sea are a great choice as long as you wear them.
Jake :allbegood: Sorry for misunderstanding 8) . It seems you know about it really a lot more than us. If you feel like it pls let us know if you could chat up or email on some details we think is worth while discussing and/or to write down (and check).
Dave@wetestkites.com
These users thanked the author davedej for the post:
iriejohn (Wed May 20, 2020 8:03 pm)

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed May 20, 2020 8:33 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Base cap is helping.

Massive red eyes may well be from water splash running up constantly your front leg if you are on a twin tip
If you have been kiting since last September then you can change your profile: kiting since from 2000 to 2019
After 30 years windsurfing with a sail somewhat shielding your eyes from the sun rays the kite lines offer no shade
Plus you are getting older and the eyes become more and more sensitive to glare
Your crystalline lenses that are aging behind iris are diffusing bright lights a lot more
Yes base cap helps it acts like holding your hand above your eyes to lessen glare from above you
Time is now for sunglasses
Get a good fitting wraparound frame with lenses any color that are made of polycarbonate to get your uva + uvb & eye safety from lens breaking
They don't need to be polarized if you want to save money....but polar really knocks out reflected glare from the water
Sometimes too much reflections knocked out is no good to read the waves to jump off them or turn on them
Leash them good
And as the good doctor said the trick is...….to wear them

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"

Postby zlatko23 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:25 pm

I have been wearing contact lenses for many years, so when I started kiteboarding 4 years ago I was sure I need glasses at least for preventing the water going easily into my eyes and/or knocking off the lenses in wipeouts. So I always wear sunglasses when going in the water. I have had 4 different pairs of Ocean sunglasses and one pair of Barz Arfa goggles. Last year I purchased a pair of LiP Surge watershades - as a comfort and quality(and price!) these are head and shoulders above Ocean and Barz Arfa. The fit is secure and if you use the necklace these are impossible to lose.
Yes, glasses are a slight nuisance - they can fog, they can have distracting water drops, but with a good pair that is not that annoying. As @jakemoore pointed out - "...what really matters is not the cost or color is just that you use them.". Spending 2-3-4 hours on the water, in direct sunshine, without sunglasses is not the best thing for ones eyes.
These users thanked the author zlatko23 for the post:
davedej (Wed May 20, 2020 11:16 pm)

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed May 20, 2020 10:40 pm

zlatko23 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:25 pm
I have been wearing contact lenses for many years, so when I started kiteboarding 4 years ago I was sure I need glasses at least for preventing the water going easily into my eyes and/or knocking off the lenses in wipeouts. So I always wear sunglasses when going in the water. I have had 4 different pairs of Ocean sunglasses and one pair of Barz Arfa goggles. Last year I purchased a pair of LiP Surge watershades - as a comfort and quality(and price!) these are head and shoulders above Ocean and Barz Arfa. The fit is secure and if you use the necklace these are impossible to lose.
Yes, glasses are a slight nuisance - they can fog, they can have distracting water drops, but with a good pair that is not that annoying. As @jakemoore pointed out - "...what really matters is not the cost or color is just that you use them.". Spending 2-3-4 hours on the water, in direct sunshine, without sunglasses is not the best thing for ones eyes.
I don't know about Ocean and Barz Arfa, but I just do not notice when I'm wearing my Lip Surge sunglasses. I have brown lenses and it doesn't take long to adapt to reading water with polarised lenses with reduced visual definition iyswim.

Return to “Kitesurfing”