Gear: Neo 9/7m, Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m, Core Section 8,10,12m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom, Duotone Jamie Textreme
Surfboards: F-ONE Mitu 5'6", Tomo Vader, Kiteloose Nirvana, Cabrinha Skillit
Foil: F-ONE Pocket with Cloud 9 mast and wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Best glue for plywood and plywood XPS sandwich

Postby daspi » Mon May 18, 2020 6:45 pm

I have used PU glue in the past for plywood board building when I needed to glue up layers. Thinking I can save a few $$ by not having to order more epoxy. The hardware store tube glue is readily available and some are cheap. I am just contemplating what would be the best glue to get for plywood and also sandwich with foam/plywood. Looking for available products in the US market.

Here are some I consider:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LOCTITE-Pl-Pre ... 1000862148
I think this is just the new version of what I used in the past. It is pretty thick in consistency and kind of hard to spread out thin.

I have read about Titebond II and Titebond III Wood Glue. Any experience with them?

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Re: Best glue for plywood and plywood XPS sandwich

Postby direnc » Thu May 21, 2020 6:21 am

I use cheap (8$ per kg) marine grade PU wood glue for that. Did try those thicker ones... difficult to spread thin and so have to use a lot... and adds unnecessary weight.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Thu May 21, 2020 10:03 am

I did read of a bonding strength comparison test XPS/Wood & paulownia) between PU(minimal foaming) and epoxy. The guy was a pro in building kitesurfboards with theses materials. He both roughend up the xps with 60 grit. The PU was much more resistant against delamination, he said.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu May 21, 2020 10:16 am

you can get some glues that very slightly foam to ensure no non glued patches - eg gorilla glue.

Do you know that you can make a board with just a polystyrene core (about $8 worth of poly) and then vacuum on cheap ply veneer top and base - then rails.. then you install fins and then soak the plywood in lanolin

u need no glass.. it works and can last 10 years . dont have any voids water can get into and you will win.

These boards last much longer than glass boards! similar weight too.. and sooo tough.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Thu May 21, 2020 6:14 pm

To LWC: Just curious, what kind of ply veneer have you used? Thickness? Especially when doing the rails.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri May 22, 2020 10:00 am

JakeFarley wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:14 pm
To LWC: Just curious, what kind of ply veneer have you used? Thickness? Especially when doing the rails.
I will ask, not me,my friend been making them for decades.. I have surfed and kited his 12 year old ones ground them over reef etc... a single layer of glass on some of them if you dont like the idea of lanolin :-0 .. ie big fish where u ride..
These users thanked the author longwhitecloud for the post:
JakeFarley (Sat May 23, 2020 4:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

alpaia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Postby alpaia » Fri May 22, 2020 9:40 pm

I have used PU glue, it is a very good interface between wood & xps : stays elastic as opposed to hard epoxy, and fills the rough sanded surface without too much weight.
PU marine glue is designed to cure with the moisture of the wood, it s worth trying out on scraps first to make sure the humidity of the wood with dry xps is enough.
I spread the PU glue on the plywood sheet only (poplar which is light, 3mm) , consumes about 150gr / square meter than vacuum bag with the xps.

alpaia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Postby alpaia » Fri May 22, 2020 9:47 pm

So I made two boards like this ; one was too heavy because I put the gluue on the XPS, with the rough surface it consumed more glue and added more weight than it should. The second one came out at 3.1kg for a 165cmx48cm tomo surf with 3mm poplar skins and 1 layer of glassing. very happy with it.
The glue I use is Kleiberit PUR 501 : https://www.kleiberit.com/fileadmin/Con ... Leim_F.pdf
It sticks to anything and ruins any clothes etc you stain with it so do wear gloves / mask when using but super effective and guaranteed for marine use.
For sure not "organic"

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Postby direnc » Fri May 22, 2020 11:34 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:00 am
JakeFarley wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:14 pm
I will ask, not me,my friend been making them for decades.. I have surfed and kited his 12 year old ones ground them over reef etc... a single layer of glass on some of them if you dont like the idea of lanolin :-0 .. ie big fish where u ride..
Please do! I am curious about this way of board building too. Pictures would be great as well.

daspi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lynn - Nahant Long Beach, Revere Beach, Dog Beach
Favorite Beaches: The beach I can get to within 10-15 minutes
Gear: Neo 9/7m, Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m, Core Section 8,10,12m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom, Duotone Jamie Textreme
Surfboards: F-ONE Mitu 5'6", Tomo Vader, Kiteloose Nirvana, Cabrinha Skillit
Foil: F-ONE Pocket with Cloud 9 mast and wing

Postby daspi » Sun May 24, 2020 3:13 pm

OK, good stuff so far. Yes the PU link I posted is for a PU glue that is very thick. If I hear you folks right, you seem to think a thinner consistency glue would be preferred. I would really appreciate a glue recommendation that is for sale at hard ware stores in the USA.

I'm considering Tidebond III as well. But not sure if it will hold on the XPS well enough. Not a PU glue. So what other PU glue is thinner? Tired of trial and error.

I like the idea of thin plywood sandwich without glass. Was considering to get veneer instead of plywood but that would require glassing.

As to vacuum bagging, I wanted to avoid the bagging thinking it would be too complicated. Too much waist too. Are you guys reusing the plastic bags and all the other stuff needed? Needs this special absorbing material too, can it be reused? Maybe I do need to get into it.

Return to “Gear Builders”