Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: GoPro line mounts

Postby TomW » Fri May 22, 2020 10:41 pm

norcom wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:55 pm
flying doctor wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:13 am
So I plan to use the protective lenses next time, and can probably prevent fogging by putting it higher in the lines.
Just wondering if other max users have encountered the same problem.
The fogging is because of condensation from the warm camera and cool outside air. GoPros with cases fog up and the domes are no different. There are some ways you can prevent this (search I can't remember them off the top) but none of them are perfect. It always happens after some time and I usually just take the camera off at that point.
I talked to some engineers about this where I work( Sony) a few years back. It's a really difficult problem to solve. No one has done it yet. The cameras get very warm. We had some ideas, but the users are not screaming about it enough to incentivize the " money machine " to make the effort and spend some money to solve it.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 pm

TomW wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:41 pm
( Sony)
If you have an inside voice: it would be sweet if a cell phone size lens/sensor were encased in a tiny housing < 5 grams and attached via wire to the battery and recorder 4-5 meters away. It would take the weight out of the kite lines. Same with Max-360 style cameras. If the heavy battery was in the hand held side of a pole and the sensor/lens on the light end we would have a much better balanced pole. Radical videos create demand for the camera!

Back-Bone Ripcord is on the right track but the ribbon too big and not waterproof. https://www.back-bone.ca/product/ripcord2/

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Sat May 23, 2020 1:45 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 pm
TomW wrote:
( Sony)
If you have an inside voice: it would be sweet if a cell phone size lens/sensor were encased in a tiny housing < 5 grams and attached via wire to the battery and recorder 4-5 meters away. It would take the weight out of the kite lines. Same with Max-360 style cameras. If the heavy battery was in the hand held side of a pole and the sensor/lens on the light end we would have a much better balanced pole. Radical videos create demand for the camera!

Back-Bone Ripcord is on the right track but the ribbon too big and not waterproof. https://www.back-bone.ca/product/ripcord2/
Great idea, that would be an amazing innovation for us!

Jake: any experience as to how high you can place the shape way mount above the V.
I've sent a message to the developer through the site but have received no reply.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue May 26, 2020 5:57 pm

This is at 3 meters. It does bend the lines in so there is a force pulling the housing apart. I have a separate small piece of kite line wrapped all the way around the camera housing giving some extra strength from the lines pulling it apart. I use the same line to tie the tabs together with a square knot and a couple extra throws because the tabs aren't quite the right size for a go pro bolt and it was easier than going to buy a shorter bolt. So far so good.
flying doctor wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:45 pm
how high
Last edited by jakemoore on Tue May 26, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
flying doctor (Tue May 26, 2020 6:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

CARMELHILL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 165 pounds
Local Beach: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Ponce Inlet
Apollo Beach
Style: Mostly twintip, starting foiling
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V1 - 7m and 12m (2018)
Cabrinha Switchblade 14 (2017)
Pansh A15 - 15m
Switch x4 bar (2018)
Best Float 33 (2006), Cabrinha Prodigy 158 for light wind (2005)
Slingshot Alienair 2019 with Naish WS1 (2018)

Postby CARMELHILL » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:56 pm

I finally have some time to play around with the Shapeways mount and my new 360 Max. The mount feels reel rough and the grooves for the lines feel sharp. Anyone else have any concerns about the lines getting cut from this mount?

I also have a Beastmount that might be useable.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:15 pm

I was doing beta testing for Gopro years back when I suggested the very same thing to them. They developed the session afterward which really wasn’t quite the same thing.
jakemoore wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 pm
TomW wrote:
( Sony)

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:52 pm

After struggling with the camrig mount for years and being tempted by alternatives ( my buddy cracked 4 beast mounts ) I basically stopped using them. Saw this one pop up quite recently and I kinda mindlessly just went for it.

https://menteselabs.com/

Haven’t used it live yet, but I was surprised by the build quality, really really sturdy. I wanted something that could do GoPro Max. Will update when I get out.

Return to “Gear Builders”