Style: TT and hydrofoil in light wind
Gear: flysurfer, naish, nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: flysurfer sonic3, any news?

Postby kiter4fun123 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:46 am

No comment on that one ?!!
That more then doubles the current woo record hangtime of 16.4 seconds :o
Looks unreal, some kind of upwards going winds? Fantastic flight control to handle that long-distance, 200 - 300 - 500 meters ?! :o

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:13 pm

Example of Sonic3-candy at 9m size swim out and deep water launch sitting on top of HF board..

https://www.facebook.com/antti.eerolain ... 22742/?t=0

These users thanked the author joriws for the post (total 4):
loco4viento (Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:08 am) • Breze (Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:33 am) • collider (Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:08 am) • or6 (Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:41 am)
Rating: 12.12%

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:08 am

Impressive!

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:51 pm

Nothing new. You can do this with any FS kite models since more then 17 years (starting with "Titan" from 2003)
Here is the first video I know from around 2005

Even if it is not so hard, better try it yourself first in the flat water:

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:20 pm

Dear Horsti :bye: ,Armin, Sebastian and yourself were able to do this long time ago." Impressive!" to see a real mortal rider to start such a high aspect freeracer like this. Barely filled, drifting without fline tension...and pretty no water inside :naughty: :thumb:

Here Horsts manual, you can see quite a difference btw Sonic2&3 to get much water inside

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:07 pm

The Sonic 3 takes on significantly less water than the Sonic2. Also the 3 drains much more water much quicker as well. Awesome kite.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:19 am

Exactly the point, sure water drift launch has been possible for decades on Flysurfer gear, we all know boat launch (or hot air balloon jump) video.

The video was just about continuing the beachless deep water launch saga that Sonic3 does it well too. Maybe technique tip for myself was wrapping the kite as a backbag with cord/line for swimming out. I've not done water launch since Speed4 Lotus and I imagine it would not have been fun with Sonic-FR (v1) and also Sonic2 I was a bit hesitant do try it. Maybe with Sonic3 I start utilizing my backdoor lake more often.
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
wheat (Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:23 am

So my friends, last saturday eventually THE day came: I was able to test my Sonic 13! Bought in febraury (!!), then Covid, then strong winds...
I have to say the day did not start the right way: I was alone on the beach and I had to ask to a friend of mine not very expert with foil kites to help me launch. As I wrote in another post, the launch is very tricky since it' forbidden to launch on the beach, you must stay in the water and have someone keeping your kite. Also, there are street lamps, passing pedestrians and cyclists, a real nightmare. To make the story short, I explained him to wait until the kite was well inflated but he simply throw it in the water absolutely not inflated. My fault anyway, I think I did not explain him properly, I was too eager to begin the session.
The Sonic felt in the water, wind was very very light and it really crashed in a bad way, completely folded on itself. I simply thought "ok, my mistake, but now no way to relaunch this thing in these conditions". After 4 o 5 minutes, I felt a gust and.... incredible!!! The Sonic unfolded by itself, two or three pulls on the front line and it was in the air perfectly inflated!!! I was really astonished!! It's possibile I've been simply very lucky, anyway a similar relaunch after 5 minutes folded in the water... what a surprise!
So I eventually started my session, wind very light, board Shinn Bronq XL 150x50.
The second surprise of the day was that the Sonic is not a difficult kite to handle. Not a beginner one, that's clear, but also not a "monster" for professionals only. My level is medium and I really found it confortable to fly. No problem of tips collapsing (my technique is for sure not perfect), a very nice constant pull and, most of all, an extreme responsivness to the bar sheet in/sheet out. It's like having the gas pedal of a sport car in your hands, you pull the kite pulls, you let the bar go and the kite really "kills itself" and waits for your input. Lift and hangtime are crazy, you're staying in the air forever also if you're not jumping high. Can't comment on looping since I did not test it yet. I really had a wonderful session, it's an amazing kite with an enormous potential.
To "complete" the test, yesterday I used my "old" Speed 5 21. Also considering the size (a 21 is one of a kind, can't really be compared to smaller sizes), the evolution from the Speed to the Sonic is incredible.
I don't want to add too much to these considerations since I rode it two hours but I'm really stoked with this kite.
Last edited by pmaggie on Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:08 am

Yes, we designed the SONIC 3 for more performance and also to be even more user friendly for its class.
We also continuously learn how to make foil kites relaunch better and better.

Have fun, Armin

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:25 am

joriws wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:13 pm
Example of Sonic3-candy at 9m size swim out and deep water launch sitting on top of HF board..
a deepwater packdown would be nice to see too..

Return to “Foil Kites”