Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:16 am

Just reflecting the first experience trying to galactical on a Monofoil + Peak4 :D (not sure yet, if a bit too much)

Or in other words: "Progressive Relaunch Simulator". :lol:

I was on about 12 m flying lines and therefore together with a 5 m² Peak about 17 m system lenght, which has shown to be still relevant to long so allready shorted by 2 m for the next try.

First try it nearly hits me but most time I passed behind, but still quite far away to do a serious especially flying one.

When the kite ended close to me I mostly directly winded up to do a drift start but sometimes it was even possible to start it just buy swimming around it and then relaunch it the classic way.

Here my impression of quite some drift (re)launches:
It is maybe more stable, easy and effective to just let the kite drift away on its back with absolute no line tension. The wind hooks pretty well from the back into the leading edge and the main benefit is the kite drifts and pulls itself permanently out of the water. So different technic as I so with closed cell where you allways try to keep front line tension having the kite sittin on its trailing edge. But maybe pretty important for the Peak4 you have to have it first in this position:
Ready to release line tension and to unwind fast the lines I would recommend to grab the A-center bridle line (as with closed cell) pull it out of the water to release most of the water from the tip cells as symetric you can do and take care to not launch one tip totaly as you can expect it will flip over. When done release all imeadiately and let it drift. When it is drifted all the way and you regain line tension, take care to have it most on the front line, taking the trimmer in the hand to pull it up.
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post (total 4):
jumptheshark (Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:30 pm) • joriws (Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:39 pm) • LeoLeal (Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:51 pm) • wheat (Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:55 am)
Rating: 12.12%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:31 pm

This is GOLD.

Many thanks.

Do you swim yourself upwind as you unwind the lines, or will the kite drift fast enough downwind just from the inverted LE catching some breeze that you can simply sit and unwind in place?

I'm assuming you can't just unwind it out from that position like you can with other foils seated on their TE as it is more likely to launch and flop over one or the other wingtip to LE down requiring you to start over ?

Lastly, do you pay particular attention to the trim position of the bar on the depower line before you wrap your lines for this sequence ? i.e. to prevent the kite from launching prematurely.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
andrzej351 (Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

kishtsang
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Oostvoorne, Netherlands; Kijkduin/Zandmotor, Netherlands; Rockanje, Netherlands; Ouddorp, Netherlands; Hoek van Holland, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Kailua, Hawaii; Kanaha, Hawaii; Kahala, Hawaii; Kaneohe Sandbar; Hawaii; Mui Ne, Vietnam; Langebaan, SA
Style: Strapless, Wakestyle, Freeride
Gear: Zian Hantu V3 7m, 9m, 11m
Best TS LW 15m
Flysurfer Peak 3 12m

Axis Tranq 141
Shinn Ultrasonic
Best Stubby Pro
Slingshot Alien Air + H4 Surf Wing
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kishtsang » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:38 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:10 pm
What do you weigh?

I'm 78kg and on an 1100 cm2 wing and find 12 knots to be the start of the sweet spot on the 5m.

Pretty widely reported that there is a significant jump in performance going down from 8m to 5m so It really depends on what your after.

Slower kite flying with more parked power or are you interested in flying the kite more aggressively and capitalizing on the amazing depower sensation for carving swell into winds where swell starts to build?
I'm 70kg, so I might make the 5m work with my 1500cm2 wing. What's the high end for you for the 5m and do you have experience with the 8m?

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:44 pm

First sess on the 3.. wind 19-25kts G30kts.
It’s fast, powerspike up the foil, release and ride.. riding 1m waves downwind, what a joy.
I feel the need for a 4... 8)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:46 pm

I don't have any experience with the 8m and don't plan on getting one. They may be great, but the low end performance of the 5 is where I want to start. So, I'm all keen to MAX the low end on it more than those who would rather just get a bigger kite. Long lines are already a key piece that I'm happy to shed as soon as it hits the sweet spot (12 knots). So what I call low end requires moderately good technique. At this point I can get up easy enough on the 5m in 10 knots on a long line high Y bar. Weight and wing as per previous post.

I've ridden the 5 comfortably into base 18 knots gusting 20. It took deliberate attention to minimize flapping and the riding became more up/down wind. I bought the 4m a few hours later. Rigging down will end up more contingent on the fun low end of the 4m than the fun top end of the 5. I think the 5m will be the one I grab if the wind is under 15 knots when I put it up. If it ramps while I'm out on the water, I'll want to rig down if it creeps up over 16 knots base wind. Gusts, no big deal. I would say thats to end of the sweet spot.

I've only had one three hour blissful day on the 4m in 16-18 knots. Definitely in the sweet spot. Getting up a no brainer and no flapping in gusts to 20. It died at the end. Everyone came in when it dropped to about 15 knots and I managed to keep riding while it continued to drop another knot or two. By then I was bagged and not very interested in flogging the low end but it was still doable when I came in. I think the 4m will be workable down to Thirteeeeeeeeeen.5 ~ ok 14 knots, but I won't put it up unless its reliably 15.

That should keep me from bagging out the 5m too fast.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
wheat (Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:56 am)

tomi3000
Medium Poster
Weight: 80 kg
Favorite Beaches: sandy with good parking and no dogs
Style: strapless, freeride
Gear: FS Peak

Postby tomi3000 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:43 pm

Sooo, after reading rave reviews about P4, I got tempted and got myself 5m. I got to fly it last weekend and I am very impressed. The kite is very pleasant to fly and playful. Not like any other foil kite I tried before having experience with Psycho 4, Speed 3 and Sonic FR. Previously when using foil kites I disliked them for being slow in the air, giving spongy feeling on a bar, requiring a lot of attention and generally not as fun as LEI for looping. For my foiling for the last 3 years I used mainly single struts and strutless kites.

Last weekend I used the 5m in approx 10-12knots and I could work the P4 5m to waterstart but it was just little bit too low for pulling my 85kg on low aspect foil and floaty board and I could not stay upwind. But the whole experience of having to loop the kite constantly was very cool and fun.

Now, what kite do you recommend for using from 7-8 to mid tens for freeriding? Obvious choice would be P4 8m but reports have been somehow mixed for bigger P4s. Soul, hyperlink, other? Closed cell kites never suited me previously but maybe now they are better. I am weekend warrior, like cruising around strapless and where I live we don’t have any waves so I am looking mainly for a kite that will be my wind insurance policy, can get me foiling from 8 knots and will still be fun to use.

andrzej351
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee
Favorite Beaches: Slufter, Jastarnia,
Style: Free ride, Big Air
Gear: Naish Pivot, Naish Monarch

Postby andrzej351 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:10 pm

tomi3000 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:43 pm
Sooo, after reading rave reviews about P4, I got tempted and got myself 5m. I got to fly it last weekend and I am very impressed. The kite is very pleasant to fly and playful. Not like any other foil kite I tried before having experience with Psycho 4, Speed 3 and Sonic FR. Previously when using foil kites I disliked them for being slow in the air, giving spongy feeling on a bar, requiring a lot of attention and generally not as fun as LEI for looping. For my foiling for the last 3 years I used mainly single struts and strutless kites.

Last weekend I used the 5m in approx 10-12knots and I could work the P4 5m to waterstart but it was just little bit too low for pulling my 85kg on low aspect foil and floaty board and I could not stay upwind. But the whole experience of having to loop the kite constantly was very cool and fun.

Now, what kite do you recommend for using from 7-8 to mid tens for freeriding? Obvious choice would be P4 8m but reports have been somehow mixed for bigger P4s. Soul, hyperlink, other? Closed cell kites never suited me previously but maybe now they are better. I am weekend warrior, like cruising around strapless and where I live we don’t have any waves so I am looking mainly for a kite that will be my wind insurance policy, can get me foiling from 8 knots and will still be fun to use.

I already have Peak4 5m and it is a fantastic kite for moses Onda. I will get my new 8m next week. This is another super kite giving the possibility of foiling from 8-9 knots. Get a Peak4 8m, you won't be disappointed ... :naughty:

seppalord
Medium Poster
Gear: FS

Postby seppalord » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:37 pm

@tomi3000: I have the same requirements as you mentioned and bought a used p4 in 8m. I'm very excited to see how it goes.
And I bought a used 4m for stronger winds :D
I'm so hooked on those kites, can't get enough
These users thanked the author seppalord for the post:
andrzej351 (Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:40 pm)

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:07 am

I get out on my 8m a lot in under 10 kts easy when most other kites are in the water or watching.😪😪
These users thanked the author Brian H for the post (total 2):
jakemoore (Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:36 am) • andrzej351 (Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:00 am)
Rating: 6.06%

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:12 am

I am so impressed with the Peak4 in 4 and 5m2, that I just have to try the 8m2. If someone is ready to sell it (in Europe), send me a PM. Sorry for this... :oops:

Return to “Foil Kites”