North Twin Tip
2018 North Free Foil & Speedster Combo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Full face helmet for foiling?

Postby Kiteboarder89 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:47 pm

Hi everyone,
I found a similar thread but it was a bit older so I thought I’d pose the question again. Wondering everyone’s thoughts on the best full face helmet for foiling. I went out for my second time and took my board to the upper lip, split it open a bit and got me thinking about how much worse it could have been. Knocked out teeth, broken nose, knocked out, etc. then the possibility of the foil slicing up my face (saw some freak accident photos online).
For those of you that wear helmets while foiling, what are you wearing? I was thinking a hockey helmet or even a lacrosse helmet such as this https://sportsreplay.ca/products/201029 ... 05b2&_ss=r would work well. I’ve seen kayak/kiteboarding/water helmets but they don’t offer any face protection.
Thoughts?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Full face helmet for foiling?

Postby jakemoore » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:23 pm

Gath has a few options. I’m wearing a Gath without face mask and although is a bit goofy I like how there is a tight fit, zero bucket effect and minimal noise. It’s still hard to hear as a down side. Just put arms between board and face and turn your head away if you fall. Women dig a scar but don’t tolerate dementia.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
downunder (Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:08 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:09 am

I also do the arm thing but I would definitely add a face shield if this would be an option for my helmet. I had the foil dangling once on my head - coming after me after a fall.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:35 am

Anything can happen. But the biggest thing I found is soccer shin guards.

Also, if you wear sleeves you can wear them on your forearm, then if you do raise your arm to protect yourself it won’t hurt as much.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:16 am

jakemoore wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:23 pm
Women dig a scar but don’t tolerate dementia.
We should all try to remember....that. :rollgrin:

I can't say that I've ever seen a full face helmet at any of my kite spots. But that's not to say it's not a good idea, especially if you've already suffered a split lip. I'm using a Protec skate helmet, mainly because it's the only one I've found that fits my head. It's light weight and I barely know it's there. But it doesn't have a face shield.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:40 am

my friend caught the board right across his brow had to get stitches since then he wears a lacrosse helmet, works great for him, I would suggest using that if you are in a cold water area. Visor works good in warm climates but here the water is so cold it steams up the visor. Every accident I have seen on a foil happens because the kiter lost eye contract with his board. Usually pretty easy to avoid the board if you know where it is. Definitely a good idea to get full face protection if you think you want some. With the additional protection it lets you ride a bit harder and that's the name of the game.

Kiteboarder89
Rare Poster
Weight: 220 lbs
Gear: 2009 12m North Rebel
2016 17m Ocean Rodeo Flite
North Twin Tip

Postby Kiteboarder89 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:05 am

edt wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:40 am
my friend caught the board right across his brow had to get stitches since then he wears a lacrosse helmet, works great for him, I would suggest using that if you are in a cold water area. Visor works good in warm climates but here the water is so cold it steams up the visor. Every accident I have seen on a foil happens because the kiter lost eye contract with his board. Usually pretty easy to avoid the board if you know where it is. Definitely a good idea to get full face protection if you think you want some. With the additional protection it lets you ride a bit harder and that's the name of the game.
Yeah I was pretty good about avoiding the foil and board... but then an hour and a bit into my first session in over a year - last time was in Dominican I tried out a foil for 2 hours -- I don't even really know how it happened but the board smacked me in my face. I was water starting I think. Good to hear about the lacrosse helmet -- I was thinking of using one with a cage so no visor to fog up.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:01 am

Canoe polo helmets also exist, those have face mask. But which ever solution easiest to get.

Kiteboarder89
Rare Poster
Weight: 220 lbs
Gear: 2009 12m North Rebel
2016 17m Ocean Rodeo Flite
North Twin Tip

Postby Kiteboarder89 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:01 am

joriws wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:01 am
Canoe polo helmets also exist, those have face mask. But which ever solution easiest to get.
Thanks! I saw those mentioned here before but I've been having trouble finding them that are available and or will ship to Canada..

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:05 am

Gath full face visor gives some additional protection, thought it warps vision a little.

Are you just learning? I suspect you'll find it's a non issue pretty quick for kite foiling. Sup and surf foil ... a little longer, as there's a lot more dynamic forces at play, was scary at the start. And still get bonked once in a while.

Return to “Hydrofoil”