HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: Inflatable Boards for Winging

Postby bragnouff » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:43 am

pitbulldoug wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:53 am
(...) bit on the heavy side 9.3kg for a 6’0”, does the air inflation offset that weight a bit
Weight is weight! Nothing to offset! If anything, you should ask if that published weight is when inflated or deflated... At about 1.25kg/m³ of air at ambient temp/pressure, it's most likely a noticeable difference once your 100L+ board is fully inflated.
A while ago some surfers/shapers were saying the EPS/Epoxy construction made them much more buoyant than their traditional PU/Polyester counterpart. That's the similar kind of bullshit. It doesn't matter what the board is made off, the only things that matter for buoyancy are volume and mass.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:17 am

droffats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:13 am
Are any of these boards able to be used as a SUP? Is there a way to block the foil tracks so they don't drag in the water? Or can a fin adapter be put in the track to make some weird narrowly spaced double fin?
For flat water paddling you can use them with a US box Fin in one or both tracks. Surfing does work but not very well as there are no sharp rails and they are very short for that.

If you believe that the tracks drag, there are a few companies selling foam inserts.
--
Gunnar
Last edited by gmb13 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby br44 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:29 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:39 pm

They don't have seperatly inflated chambers. However they are very thick walled. You would have to actually stab it really hard with a very sharp object to get trough the outer skin.

--
Gunnar
The info on the Indiana site is limited.
1. What is the packed size and weight for these boards? Including the pump.
2. Average inflation time with the mini pump
3. I’m guessing these should not be left inflated at 18 PSI after the session, but could be stored partly inflated for the next time. Correct?
4. Any way to install/add one front toe hook? To help with the waterstart. Thanks.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:12 pm

br44 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:29 pm
gmb13 wrote:

They don't have seperatly inflated chambers. However they are very thick walled. You would have to actually stab it really hard with a very sharp object to get trough the outer skin.

--
Gunnar
The info on the Indiana site is limited.
1. What is the packed size and weight for these boards? Including the pump.
2. Average inflation time with the mini pump
3. I’m guessing these should not be left inflated at 18 PSI after the session, but could be stored partly inflated for the next time. Correct?
4. Any way to install/add one front toe hook? To help with the waterstart. Thanks.
1) The Pack size is the same as large iSUP. The Bag is oversized to you can put your foil parts in it too. I think it's 100cm x 40cm x 30cm. I think the total weight for the 6'4 in its Back with the pump and accessories is 13kg.

2) About 5 minutes.

3) I theory you should not leave it inflated at high pressure for a long time, but I leave mine inflated at 18 all the time. Mine has been fully inflated for 5 months now.

4) No. On the 2020 Models you only have the 3 Strap options. That will probably change for the 2021 models.

Indiana just dropped a new action video with the current boards:

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
br44 (Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:27 pm

pitbulldoug wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:53 am
gmb13 wrote:
pitbulldoug wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:09 pm
Gunnar my mistake or lack of knowledge never heard of The Indiana brand before your reply here very interesting as well where are they out of? The inflatable Foil board definitely something to consider with the newer technology in making them stiffer but what about us heavy guys 225lb you thing they will pass the pump flex test? do they have 2 air chambers so if one gets a hole the other stays afloat?what would you characterize the material pretty durable for punctures totally have no clue about these inflatables sorry for the ignorance!Just kinda hard being a kiter and thinking about pumping up a board let alone a kite after almost 2 decades but I’m game to try it one of the days cautiously optimistic for sure
Yes. Even someone with your weight will not bend the board. The internal CF plate combined with the double dropstich and (on the Indianas) the Solid box laminated to the deck and hull will prevent any bending.

--
Gunnar
Gunnar are Indiana Gear available in the states specifically Calif or we get the short end of the stick again? Do you guys have a distributor out here? Like that 6’0” 144L for my 225lb Winging,pretty much same Vol as my current Kalama supfoil board bit on the heavy side 9.3kg for a 6’0”, does the air inflation offset that weight a bit and I’m guessing the ballon effect of the inflatable might help in getting up on foil real a bit easier than usual?
I heard that they are in talks with someone who is interested in importing the products.

--
Gunnar

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:29 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:02 am
...The next generation and also be smaller sizes coming now in 44, 71 and 103L for Winging and Paddling in about a month with some cool features too...
Hi Gunnar,
as it seems GONGs Hipe is just coming with 2 straps, it would be cool to see Indiana's with three straps option again in the small sizes. It also seems that Gong is going to be pretty heavy with its big plate, would expect to be above 6 kg for their 70 l version, while I am actually at 4,5 kg with my 72 l Manta. Would hope Indiana can hit at least something inbetween. Again about straps I would prefer M6 inserts as I am happy how they work on the Manta and would expect that they give you more freedom to choose right straps or is there any reason against and for those Indiana uses actually? More than one position for straps at least for the one on the back wouldn't be bad too, to have some space to play with.

So far my wishes, even if still happy with my Manta, but anyway sure to see many improvements in the near future.
Also like the front handle idea of the Indiana.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:59 pm

The next gen Indiana's will be with V-Strap (3 strap) Straps and with M6 Inserts.

--
Gunnar

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:11 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:29 pm
(...)
as it seems GONGs Hipe is just coming with 2 straps,
(...)
We've all seen Gong's pre release pics, but wouldn't that be pretty odd that they would release their board with just front straps? The technology would be the same for adding straps at the back than at the front, so I don't know why they would do an half job like that? Unless there is no trust in that technology, and it's a hidden way to prevent jumping.

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm

Postby Whattheflock » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:58 pm

Really interested in wingfoil.. Wonder if a 7m or 9m on gongs 5'3" inflatable with my 633 and myself at 70kg would get me up in <10 knots?..

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:08 am

Whattheflock wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:58 pm
Really interested in wingfoil.. Wonder if a 7m or 9m on gongs 5'3" inflatable with my 633 and myself at 70kg would get me up in <10 knots?..
No. Not even close. You need more wind and a foil with more lift

Return to “Wingsurfing”