Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
jaros
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby jaros » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:07 am

How do you guys self land a Peak4 in stronger winds? In lighter winds I just back it straight down with stalling and let it sit on the ground. In stronger winds I usually have someone to assist land me, but I am curius what would be the right technick. Thanks!

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:00 am

Tether landing is a good backup landing method, when it really blowing. Peak does it well.

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:34 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:27 pm

Have never flown a FS Soul, but I would imagine it to have okay peak power, somewhat more than the Peak4, so able to start in less wind on a foil (similar sized) - but according to you not the case, if they start in the same wind?

Agree the Peak4 has awesome "you wont have to swim" abilites when wind drops, great, on cost of going a tad lower upwind.

But something seems wrong if you can not start earlier with the Soul?

8) Peter
Not much difference between Peak 13 and Soul 12 in terms of low wind capabilities. Peak has less power spike, but is much easier to handle because develops power more gradually, and turns much better which compensates for the lower AR.

In perfect Cobra Stance I need at least 5 knots to relaunch the Soul (even on land you have to run to launch it). And if tangled, maybe half inverted, I need this little gust of 6 or rather 7 knots, or I swim to the kite and position it manually.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:18 pm

True, but isnt peak power the most important part for being able to waterstart and get up foiling when marginal?

I think it is, which is why really powerful racekites can start in the lightest wind, if lines are sufficiently long so the high AR span can loop with small loss only.

So agree that turning is important, which is one of the reasons why there often is a tradeoff where the smaller faster better turning kites deliver more peak power than a bigger kite.
This can be solved with longer lines, partically, but the bigger kites still gives less power spike IMO, eventhough more pull WHEN up to speed.

So when not for racing, I think the biggest kite does not start the earliest, and there is a particular size that works the best for absolute marginal wind.

This is very controversial, I know, many will say the opposite...

As I love peak power, I love the smaller 3-4-5 m2 Peak4 the most, as they got loads of this, compared to the more tame 8-11-13.

But I love the way the big ones handle, no tip folding like on racier kites, and can hang in next to nothing :rollgrin:

8) Peter

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:02 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:18 pm
True, but isnt peak power the most important part for being able to waterstart and get up foiling when marginal?

8) Peter
Yes, but less for big wings that have more drag. One short peak is not enough if you want to continue to fly on the foil.

I fly the Soul on short lines 17m, so after the short spike I have to redirect the kite away from the window edge to continue to have power. My Peak, which is also bigger, stays automatically closer to the powerzone. I can continuously loop the Peak until I am up and going.

I like the Soul 12 on TT, but for a beginner on foils it is definitely not the best kite.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:58 pm

Try the Soul with 30 m lines instead, for marginal wind :thumb:

F-Bear
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: SpaceBall Beach
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Kites: Switch Element V3 9m, Switch Nitro V4 14m, Best Waroo 17m, Airush DNA 13m, Pansh A15 12m with Jackomixer, Genesis 6m with Jakomixer, Flysurfer Peak4 5m
Boards: Lightwave Wing, Slingshot Wakefoiler with H2 wing
Bars: Mash-up (favorite is older Airush with ozone trimmer, Switch CL, custom lines), older Switch with ozone trimmer and modified quick release so it actually works.

Postby F-Bear » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:52 pm

Hi All, am hoping to get some advice on my 5m Peak4. Am learning how to hydrofoil with a Slingshot Hoverglide and the short mast installed. My spot is a small lake, surrounded by trees and gusty winds.

Currently, am working on the get up and go part. Since the lake is small, I want to launch as far upwind as I can get so I get maximum time/space in the water before getting blown downwind and up against the shore. The launch is very tight, between trees, with another tree line behind it. Wind is straight offshore.

The problem I'm having is the Peak will suddenly without warning just fold up..this happens when I am not moving, just sitting in the water with the board on my feet or floating by board getting ready to put it on my feet. Probably getting some big holes in the wind, or swirls or whatever, and the poor kite just can't keep tension. It literally folds up, and instantly the front lines are very very slack. I've tried pulling the front lines to recover but no joy.

Any advice on how to fly the kite to help keep it in the air? Like sheet in more or less? Keep it moving? This is hard for me....I need one hand to get the board on my feet ! Looking for ideas...

Yesterday the wind was gusting from 4-20 kts.....several times I was all set (board on feet, ready to try and start) and then BLAMMO the kite suddenly folds up and down it goes. I lack the skill to relaunch it and so this ends up with me gathering up the kite and swimming in. So of course, this is really hurting my learning since I never got the chance to actually attempt a get up and go ! The lulls are so low the Peak is only kite I own that can keep flying.

F-Bear

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:09 pm

Put in on 30m Lines or go somewhere else to learn .

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:03 pm

F-Bear, keep the kite flying in figure 8s all the time, never keep it parked.

Same thing we do with tubes if wind is really bad and gusty, or low filled with lulls.

Keep speed on the kite all the time, back and fourth, you will learn to do this with your eyes closed without thinking, if you practice :thumb:

8) Peter

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:29 pm

F-Bear wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:52 pm
The problem I'm having is the Peak will suddenly without warning just fold up..this happens when I am not moving, just sitting in the water with the board on my feet or floating by board getting ready to put it on my feet. Probably getting some big holes in the wind, or swirls or whatever, and the poor kite just can't keep tension. It literally folds up, and instantly the front lines are very very slack. I've tried pulling the front lines to recover but no joy.

Any advice on how to fly the kite to help keep it in the air? Like sheet in more or less? Keep it moving? This is hard for me....I need one hand to get the board on my feet ! Looking for ideas...
If it's collapsing with a front stall, I would sheet the bar in hard. Same thing on the bigger peaks, if they are about to collapse as you head towards them, yank in hard on the bar. I'd be after back line tension, rather than pulling the front lines.

Return to “Foil Kites”