which paint on epoxy board repair

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own
Brand Affiliation: None

which paint on epoxy board repair

Postby kite_hh » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:53 pm

Unfortunately I had to repair a small ding in my directional board. I did it by appplying a few layers of carbon fiber. This part has worked out well.

The board has a shiny white appearance and I would like the fixed area to also be in the same shiny white.

While hitting the same white may well be impossible I would still like the glossy appearance. So this is about the final layer.

How can I best achieve that?

I thought about using a yacht coating. I fear, however, that it might get runnners, as the area is right around the rail and I won't be able to keep it level.

Another alternative may be spray paint. This would be easy to apply and if I use two to three layers it may be solid enough. But will it be glossy and able to withstand the watery surroundings of a kite board?

Any advice?

Thanks!

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: which paint on epoxy board repair

Postby naishdude » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:30 am

2 component boat hull paint, works so nicely glossy just with small nylon paint roller
Polyester high gloss DD lack
all info here:

https://www.de-ijssel-coatings.nl/en/aquatics/products

cheers :cool2:

kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own

Postby kite_hh » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:23 am

Thanks. How many layers would you recommend?

I still think the spray would make the transition to the original coating easier, but I haven't decided yet. Should I put a layer of clear glossy coat over the coloring? And if doing so, would I need glossy white or just any white since the clear coat will be glossy.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:01 pm

kite_hh wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:23 am
Thanks. How many layers would you recommend?

I still think the spray would make the transition to the original coating easier, but I haven't decided yet. Should I put a layer of clear glossy coat over the coloring? And if doing so, would I need glossy white or just any white since the clear coat will be glossy.
if possible use the epoxy primer...2 layers ( sand each layer), 1 layer of dd lack as finisher ( color depends on the color of your board) DD glossy lack is like thin as water, if you need really hi glossy white I would go for the icewhites...

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:58 pm

If you want to go for an inexpensive paint, you can try Rustoleum appliance epoxy spray paint. I've used it on several boards and it holds up well. Less than $5 at Home Depot.

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:58 pm

autoparts stores now have rattlecan 2 part paint. You pop an actuator shake it all good. However you could get one component rattle can stuff and be totally good. There are lots of products at homedepot type stores. I like the rustolem products available in Canada at least.

Return to “Gear Builders”