Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GPS tracker for travel kiteboard bag?

Forum for kitesurfers
DariKite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Kite: 12mt Liquid Force WOW ; 9mt Cabrinha SwitchBlade
Board: Cabrinha Ace ; Wainmann Hawaii Passport 5'7" ; F-One Mitu Pro Convertible 2016 (Hydrofoil/Surf)
Brand Affiliation: None

GPS tracker for travel kiteboard bag?

Postby DariKite » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:52 pm

I heard that kiteboard bags get "lost" often at airports and was wondering if there's any reliable GPS trackers I could use. I want one that allows you to insert your own SIM card/cellphone chip, not those that oblige you to use their chip and pay 20 USD per month. That's a rip off!

I'm not interested in tracking my session. All I want is a cheap device that can track where my kiteboard bag is for 2-3 days in case it gets stolen. And if I can attach it to my board during the session in case I loose it, even better.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: GPS tracker for travel kiteboard bag?

Postby Toby » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:03 pm

I just read about this:

Invoxia GPS Tracker

About 120 Euro.
Anyone uses it ?

Here the coverage area
https://www.sigfox.com/en/coverage

After the first 3 years, access to the tracker costs € 9.99 a year (payment is made via the app, not SB Supply).

DariKite
Medium Poster
Board: Cabrinha Ace ; Wainmann Hawaii Passport 5'7" ; F-One Mitu Pro Convertible 2016 (Hydrofoil/Surf)

Postby DariKite » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:00 pm

Toby wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:03 pm
I just read about this:

Invoxia GPS Tracker

About 120 Euro.
Anyone uses it ?

Here the coverage area
https://www.sigfox.com/en/coverage

After the first 3 years, access to the tracker costs € 9.99 a year (payment is made via the app, not SB Supply).
I read the reviews of the Invoxia app in the Google Play store and they are not encouraging. It doesn't seem like a reliable tool and the coverage area is limited. I think that it's probably better to use a GPS that allows you to insert your own SIM card with roaming data. Something that has a broad coverage area.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:01 am

How you turn off the device in flight.

Just go to police if big bag is lost.

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:49 am

I have never heard of totally lost (by airport) or stolen kite bag. Where this happens?
Remember of roaming costs if tracking data is being sent when you are abroad

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:25 am

jyka wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:49 am
I have never heard of totally lost (by airport) or stolen kite bag. Where this happens?
Remember of roaming costs if tracking data is being sent when you are abroad
I had it happen. Gone, never showed up.
Direct flight Fuerteventura to Hamburg, Germany.

50 kg bag...3 kites, 2 bars, 3 boards, 2 neos.
I was right in the world tour racing...went to the last stop with one new harness and borrowed all gear...

Called the local police...didn’t do shit.
I assume they stole it in the airport.
Which means a big security issue if a big bag like that just disappears. They have cameras everywhere...should have been easy to see what happened...they do nothing.

A complete nightmare. That’s why I would use a good device too.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:51 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:46 am

I think "often" might be an exaggeration here. How many flights have you taken with kite equipment Toby? How many threads on here about gear stolen/lost at airports? I have never heard of anyone losing their equipment at an airport before now (Toby). Even at beaches no-one I know or know about have ever lost any equipment.

The next problem I see is even if you can locate your bag reasonably well what are you supposed to do? My guess you will not be able in most countries to just call the police and ask them to help you retrieving the bag.

That said. If there is a cheap solution that works even if the probability of something happening is very low I wouldn't mind buying one myself. But it would have to be a no hassle solution.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

DariKite
Medium Poster

Postby DariKite » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:44 pm

Havre wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:46 am
I think "often" might be an exaggeration here. How many flights have you taken with kite equipment Toby? How many threads on here about gear stolen/lost at airports? I have never heard of anyone losing their equipment at an airport before now (Toby). Even at beaches no-one I know or know about have ever lost any equipment.

The next problem I see is even if you can locate your bag reasonably well what are you supposed to do? My guess you will not be able in most countries to just call the police and ask them to help you retrieving the bag.

That said. If there is a cheap solution that works even if the probability of something happening is very low I wouldn't mind buying one myself. But it would have to be a no hassle solution.
I met a spanish couple in Brazil who had their kite bag stolen twice. Once in a flight within Europe and once in a flight to Brazil. The one that got stolen in Europe they never recovered. The one they had stolen in Brazil got returned to them because he had a GPS in the bag. But he said that for one day the GPS stopped sending signal. The airlines will only refund you a fraction of the cost of your equipment if the bag disappears.

Just because it never happened to me before doesn't mean I don't need to be prepared. If the GPS tells me that the luggage is in the airport then I have greater leverage to pressure the airline to locate the bag.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 pm

I'm not arguing it doesn't happen, but I really don't think it happens often.

Airline is one thing. Insurance is another. My insurance would cover me fairly decently. Might even over cover as a couple of my kites were bought very cheaply - far below market value.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:38 pm

If there are technical solutions to track your bag, I will do it.

Lost 6000 Euro, got 1500 back from insurance. What a joke.

If you ever had that happened, you will get very nervous each time your bag is delayed...and that happened already 5 times to me.
Then you will be more relaxed and can speed up the process of recovering it if you can show the customer service where your bag is!

And specially now with my gear that is very special and I can't buy anymore, I am even more nervous.

I wish you good luck that you never will loose a bag.

Return to “Kitesurfing”