Forum for kitesurfers
vassilief
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First time wave riding

Postby vassilief » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:54 am

Hey guys i moved to an island with frequent wave-windy conditions 0.5m -1.5m and 18-25 knots. I ride many years twintips doing basic airstyle tricks but ive never been into riding direction boards. I consider buying this one i found for learning. Do you think its a good choice? size is 5'2'' x17' 3/8''. maybe too small? kite sizes 11 and 9 EVO
Attachments
104777306_10164095196965495_4233111644172104029_o.jpg

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Re: First time wave riding

Postby TheJoe » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:04 am

Better to ask around the local spot for advice if you can. I personally would go for a wider board but that would depend on the waves. That is why I would ask around. If the waves are strong it might be a good board but if they are mushy then your going to want something wider.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:38 pm

I think it would work just fine :thumb:

Small is good when you are making the transition, especially as you got straps, which means you can ride a bit more powered and "get it all", so a win win :D

8) Peter

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:00 am

How on earth did a Jimmy Lewis rental board from Real Kiteboarding in OBX get to Greece!

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:14 am

You could certainly start with that one. But I wouldn´t.
If you´re in the Mediterranean Sea (Greec Island?) the waves will mostly be very small and mushy (not powerfull). That board shown is more for clean, powerful waves (my educated guess).
I´d try to get a contemporary "no-nose" shape like the Vader (Firewire) or the respective models from North / Duotone, Naish etc.. The have more glide (better low end) and are generally easier to ride for a novice. And they catch small mushy waves better than a typical "short board" shape.
You find lots of them 2nd hand.

Start strapless! It might be harder at first, but you´ll be able to find your optimal position on the board more easily. With straps you´re fixed to one single position, which might be good if you´re charging on a wave, but not good if you are a beginner on flat water.

And don´t use the board leash!!!

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:51 am

I echo all of the above, get something meant for those smaller waves. Vassilief, what's your weight, that will also help recommendations?

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:39 pm

Go get some Standard for Small Waves.

I bought a slingshot celero (the older Model) (can not get more Standard)
The 5.8 probably is too big in the Long run, but the First three times, I had such a Hard Time with the foot–switching..... with some no name Board, I would have blaimed the board.... with the Celero I knew it is my own fault. (75kg mostly used 9/7 kite)

If I would have 85kg and only small Waves and 12/9 kite, I would get a Mixxer or anything comparable.

Just my experience. (I use it with straps, also in light Wind/no Waves)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:22 pm

I think the board is fine. It is also fine to get a board like the skater from Naish but it depends on how you want to ride. I think, like Peter, that starting with a slightly smaller board is great. The conditions you'll go in is similar to the conditions you'd go in with a TT, and you'd need more power, but hitting small waves powered is a lot of fun.
If you are more into learning actual wave riding, maybe go for the skater style board, but not needed. The kite size question doesn't make much sense without a lot more information. Anyway, a smaller surfboard with a bigger kite. Just note that a used board, you'd better get a good price for it.

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:00 am

17.4” wide is very narrow and 5’2 is super short for a traditionally shaped board. The narrowest board i ride is 18”. My most used board is 19.3 “ wide. Width is a pretty important dimension in regard to surfboards.
At 185 lbs i would only use a board that small When its nuking And for jumping on the way out. It would be very sinky and require a lot of pumping to get going. Wont really be able to surf much with it because you will have to be so powered up.
Would work well if you live in the George or If you are 5’4 and weigh 115 lbs....a girl sized board. That’s my 2 cents.

Return to “Kitesurfing”