Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Onda » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:56 am

My only concern is: Will I sell my 8 m² Naish Boxer or my 6 m² Religion because the Peak will make them obsolete? Or both?!

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:31 am

Onda wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:56 am
My only concern is: Will I sell my 8 m² Naish Boxer or my 6 m² Religion because the Peak will make them obsolete? Or both?!
:roll: yes, If you only foil and get the 3m + 4m also.. 8)

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:15 pm

I also have a 5 m² SST and a 7 m² Section1 :-)
You think the 5 Peak will replace a 7 m² wave kite?

When wind is approaching 20 kts I´ll only use my waveboard. We have too nice waves then, and my wave foiling skills are not sufficcient then :oops:

PS: Don´t consider buying your peak at you-love-it.eu
They continue being a pain in the ass despite their super attractive prices. Only because I live just 20 mins from them... :angryfire:

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:57 pm

I've never used a foil kite before, but I'm considering getting a Peak to try it out. I'm 195 lbs and I ride a Lift 150. I'm not really interested in a huge foil kite, but considering the smaller sizes. What would the approximate wind range be for 3m, 4m, 5m, and 8m?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:30 pm

Loads of info on range if you read through, but yes, its a long thread so I'll give you my personal ranges on the 4 and 5m

Im 75-78kg, ride the Lift 170 ~ 1100 cm2

On normal line length (20-22m) the 5m is nicely powered for easy waterstarts and upwind angles at 12 knots. It begins to flap too much for my taste at a steady 16-17 knots. You can easily and comfortably ride in winds gusting up to 20 knots and the kite feels very safe with no poor behaviour, but your definitely riding really high upwind and downwind angles to minimize the flapping once its up over 16 knots base wind. On the 4m the low end for easy waterstarts and upwind angles about 14 knots. Anything less and your really whipping it around to start and the upwind angles are poor. I generally don't put it up unless it's 15 knots base wind. Top end is somewhere around 22-24 knots. Again, due to flapping. Flapping is much easier to mitigate on the 4 and I will ride it well up over 20. Will rig down around 25 knots.

Get the 5m and you will quickly see how these kites are different. That size has all the pluses. If you like it, get the 4m.

I have resisted getting the 8 but might some day with the excuse that its for winter/snow. For now I'm pretty into the efficiency exercise of using the 5m down to 10 knots. As long as its base wind 10, I enjoy the easy flat water cruise of flying the 5m on long lines. It's nice to get out, but it's nothing like the same kite on normal length lines in 12+
Last edited by jumptheshark on Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
junebug (Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:42 pm

I had two more sessions on my 5m in 15-20 knots last weekend.

SO MUCH FUN!

The small wind generated swell (short period on our North Sea) only gets knee or waist high but it's great to ride it down wind and forget about the kite. Suddenly everything goes quiet because the wind 'disappears' and it's all about gliding and carving. Love it.

Could have used the 4 in this windrange but was happy with the 5 despite some flapping about. Doesn't really bother me that much.

Will be trying to unhook next time :-)

seppalord
Medium Poster
Gear: FS

Postby seppalord » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:13 pm

My low wind session with the 8m today was not successful.
The wind was 6-10 knt but I was struggling big time to get my ass over the board (78kg). My bar has 21 m lines.
I could use 2-3 gusts to cruise a little but failed the gybe under these conditions..
Maybe with a tad more skill this endeavor would have been better.

I'm a bit disappointed, was expecting more from the 8m.

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:19 am

I’m using 30m ozone race lines on my 8m and it really helps if you are doing flying foot switches .

kriskris
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 162
Local Beach: Crack Park
Style: Foil
Gear: 633 Onda Peak4 8,5,4,3m

Postby kriskris » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:31 am

Just had my first session on my new Peak4 5m yesterday and I was overpowered so I could not really form an objective oppinion. Kite was flapping and upper tip would fold. Kite was managable but nothing special. I was not really impressed Easy launch and no drama landing solo.
Today I rode again and...............all my LEI wave kites are still smoking in the back yard.........On the second thought I could have sold them and gotten smaller sized Peaks but I guess I overreacted slightly...........Been riding only wave kites for last few years. That era is over. I guess you can call me a Convert.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:57 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:33 am
Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:13 am
jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:42 am

5m is the workhorse, but 4m is the money.

Shortchange yourself if you like. No one here will stop you.
OK, but a 5m wave kite also offers great foiling in 15-22 knots. Whereas ... a foil kite may work well in 7 - 10 knots but a tube kite may not work at all.

Disagree...

Once you have ridden the 4 or 5 m2 Peak4 in waves, you will know how awful your wave tube kites was for this, absolutely horrible and you dont ever wanna go back :wink:

Yes, a 5 m2 wave tube was fine before you had the single skin foil kites, but useless now, except for riding back and forth (no wave riding) :rollgrin:

And tube kites works great in 7 to 10 knots also, of course light tube kites when 7-8 knots.

Only below 7 knots, tubes are useless indeed...

8) Peter
I'm waiting for the new kites that will make the Peak4s seem "awful" & "absolutely horrible". :rollgrin:

Maybe it's not a problem for some people, but Covid has resulted in basically zero income for my business for the last 3 months. It's a bit difficult, under the circumstances, to justify rushing out to buy a new kite ... & the problem with the Peak4 cult is ONE is clearly not enough! The 5m is brilliant ... but not as good as the 4m, which is not as good as the 3m! So, having bought the 5m unless you're satisfied with the continuing mediocrity of your other tubes, you are obliged to buy a complete new quiver! :-?

And ... on top of that the 8m/11m, which would logically be the most useful supplement to smaller tube kites, isn't that highly valued! :duh:

Return to “Foil Kites”