Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: Cabrinha Foil Problem

Postby bragnouff » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:35 am

I agree that it looks a bit short. There's lots of meat in the Zeeko bolts with plenty of thread to grip. When I did cut 15cm off my mast, it wasn't super easy to find a tap deep enough to re-tap it. Took it to a machine shop and issue solved.
I'm sure Cabrinha would have gone the way of selecting only one size of hardware so as to make it easy for the customer. One size, one tool, one easy job, but apparently one job half done that is not up to the task.

On the Zeeko, there are 3 M8x60 countersunk for the plate to mast, 2 M8x60 socket head cap screw for the fuse to mast, and M6 countersunk bolts for the wings to fuse. That takes 3 different hex heads, which is not really a big deal, but for sure, someone in marketing could argue that it's best for the end user to have one size, despite the engineering requirements of having enough thread, and the right fastener for the application.

Clintkite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Terrace B.C. Canada

Skeena river, Local lakes, pacific ocean.
Gear: Drifter, speed5.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Clintkite » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:24 pm

#METOO!
Lost my Fuselage and it sunk to the bottom of the lake, only got to ride it about 10 times. Threads pulled right out! Not happy. Local dealer is reaching out to Cabrinha about it, I'm happy to have found this thread. Starting to see a pattern here. Will post the results of our efforts.
DB1BBD42-5DA6-488A-A9C5-2D04719B23C1_1_201_a.jpeg

joeblo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: ocean rodeo prodigy

Postby joeblo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:12 pm

Wow, when I opened the thread today I thought something was wrong because there was the picture of my striped fuselage..... but it was not mine! Mine looks almost identical, Annoying that you can see the nice, clean, usable threads just above the puny stripped area. My guy went to bat for me with Cabrinha, then finally handed the job over to me. I do lots of work here in my shop. I have welding equipment and a metal lathe and tons of other tools. People often drop by to get things fixed, or use my tools. I know about putting things together and I am positive that I did not over tighten the bolts on the fuselage and it is just a design problem. I cut about 20 cm off my old fuselage and rethreaded the holes so I could have a short one for learning. Now that there are two of us out of the woodwork, Cabrinha's answer of, "this has never happened before," is total baloney. I am going to forward your pic to the rep who was dealing with my retailer and suggest they send 50-55mm bolts to all customers who have bought this foil, and replace the ones we lost!
Thanks people

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:59 pm

I would personally not ride like that I would have gotten longer screws before riding but I'm anal with my gear and I don't trust anything unless I approve of the way it's built and put together. Some wings are thicker than others and require longer screws. Maybe it's their failing for not pointing that out or not giving you longer screws with the wings. If you assemble your gear yourself you have to exercise judgement when something looks wrong. I purchased an Axis foil used and the screws for the mast and wings were ridiculously short for my linking and what the fuselage could accept so I went to the local fastener place and got longer metric SS screw it was well worth the trip and 10$ in screws.

BalsaMichel
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: FS Soul 2 8m + 10m, CAB Fusion DA foil, backyard built split-TTs, skimboards and foilboards

Postby BalsaMichel » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:12 pm

...and thanks guys for posting, as I seem to be the only one who has not yet lost the foil or brused mast-threads. Ow you a beer or two :roll:

Micha

Clintkite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Terrace B.C. Canada

Skeena river, Local lakes, pacific ocean.
Gear: Drifter, speed5.

Postby Clintkite » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:56 am

@BalsaMIichel Go get some longer screws ASAP!!!! Then you should be good to go no worries. ;)

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:28 am

I think the same thing happened to a foiler who frequents my local spot. He had a Cabrinha Double Agent though, but the bolts stripped out of the mast, same as the pic above, but worse - the side of the mast buckled. He lost two sets of wings, but was fortunate to recover the second set. Still a painful experience for him.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:04 am

On that picture above, we can see that it was literally holding by 4 or 5 threads of aluminium. Surely not really up to the task considering the forces involved in foiling!
Attaching the fuse with duct tape would be stronger

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:05 am

I had a similar problem with another brand of fuselage. Some of the screws supplied with the front wing were too short. Eventually the threads in the aluminum fuselage completely stripped.
A solution is a helicoil which you install in the fuselage and it provides fresh strong threads. You need to be comfortable drilling and tapping metal to do this yourself but it is not difficult. Here is a complete kit..

Of course I also got longer screws.

:wink: CG
helicoil.jpg
helicoil.jpg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 780 times

joeblo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: ocean rodeo prodigy

Postby joeblo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:54 am

Thanks for the helicoils idea cglazier. I am familiar with them, and if they could get my foil off the bottom of the muddy lake, I would use them. I have the stripped mast but no fuselage or wings. They are waiting at the bottom of the lake to become fossil records after the next ice age. boohoo

Return to “Hydrofoil”