Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

hyperlink 2, 9 or 11 m2

Forum for kitesurfers
nayy
Frequent Poster

hyperlink 2, 9 or 11 m2

Postby nayy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi all,

doubting between the 2 sizes for light wind foiling.
70 kg, onda 633 foil.

11 will have better lowend, 9 will be more versatile...

Is there somebody who can share his usefull range for both kites on foil. (or even sufboard would be good too !)

I found a review where they claim that the 9m is usable on foil (big 633 wing) with 6-7 kn. this seems impossible to me...
I think a 9 needs 9 knots...

happy flying to all !

Nayy

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: hyperlink 2, 9 or 11 m2

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:50 pm

I'm not an expert foiler by any means but I can (just) waterstart on my 9m LEI in 9 knots so its believable to me. I think relaunch is your low end in practical situations. Whether you can relaunch the hyperlink in 6-7 knots after floating on the water - I don't know?

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:43 pm

I think the real question is how low do you want to go?

The 11m will for get you going in a little tiny bit lower wind speed than the 9m.... And you'll have more power in those low winds too.... but the 9m will get you going in very low too... perhaps only 1mph or 1.5mph difference in their low end.

I have a 13m Chrono V3 Ultralight... I'm about 90kg and I'm pleased I chose the 13m for my light wind kite as I can easily get going in 7mph and jumping in not much more.
These users thanked the author dave1986 for the post:
nayy (Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

yzbob
Medium Poster
Gear: Mixed

Postby yzbob » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:16 am

dave1986 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:43 pm
I think the real question is how low do you want to go?

The 11m will for get you going in a little tiny bit lower wind speed than the 9m.... And you'll have more power in those low winds too.... but the 9m will get you going in very low too... perhaps only 1mph or 1.5mph difference in their low end.

I have a 13m Chrono V3 Ultralight... I'm about 90kg and I'm pleased I chose the 13m for my light wind kite as I can easily get going in 7mph and jumping in not much more.

i agree
im about 84kg and the 9m hyperlink ultralight is enough for me. it has huge range and the low end is fantastic. i'm not sure of exact wind strengths so i wont make claims but i don't see me ever going for a bigger kite than this. my foil is around 1100cm2.
These users thanked the author yzbob for the post:
nayy (Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:55 am)

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:02 am

I’m 72 kg and I have a 9m hyperlink v1 ultra light and it gets me going in 8kts but below that you have to pay attention to not making a mistake and losing line tension.
These users thanked the author Brian H for the post:
nayy (Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:54 am)

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm

Postby Whattheflock » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:03 am

Brian H wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:02 am
I’m 72 kg and I have a 9m hyperlink v1 ultra light and it gets me going in 8kts but below that you have to pay attention to not making a mistake and losing line tension.
Does it depower well? Id love to get one, but would be limited to drift launches like horst sergio does.

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:34 am

I depower on the HL is one of the best . It depowers anywhere in the WW and super smooth power when you loop it during transitions. I use my peaks a lot but when ever I pull out my HL I always love it .

Tom Tom
Medium Poster

Postby Tom Tom » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:15 am

Hi, I am 87kg and fly the HL V2 9 on Onda 633. On 25m lines I am up and away at 6-7 knots. The oumph when waterstarting on the 9 in those winds is enough for me. Prefer the faster more agile 9 over the slightly more grunt of an 11. Once up on the foil there is plenty of power available for the 633 or similar light-wind wings in my opinion. Note that this is for freeriding on the 633, it is not a racer setup for a smaller/faster wing to blast around on. I combo it with a Soul 7 for higher winds.

Normally have the HL 9m on 20m lines and the Soul 7 on 18m. If I need to get a bit more impulse and longer power strike for those very light 6-7 days I add 5m to the HL. I honestly do not feel I need anything bigger. The 9m is also a fast-enough kite in turning and powering around on a TT in 14-24 knots, making it a very all-round kite for me.
Attachments
IMG_4062.JPG
These users thanked the author Tom Tom for the post:
nayy (Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:30 am)

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:54 am

I have hyperlinks up to 9 mtr and my 7 and 9 mtr are the newer V2 flavour, my 5mtr is the v1 UL
I also own the 9 mtr and 11mtr Chrono v3 ultra lights, and I did own the larger 13 and 15 mtr V3 chrono Ulight versions, but these 2 kites I have now sold as my need for them diminished drastically after learning how extract the best low end capabilities out of my smaller and much more enjoyable smaller foils.
saying that some sailing buddies I have are split on this choice of mine to go small in marginal conditions and love their 15mtr foils, soul and v3 ul chronos.
but my view on using as small as possible is a feeling that is shared by more and more freeride hydro foil users, with the 9mtr new generation foil kite being the sort of gem in the tool box of foil kites, and in places where winds are more smooth and less gusty then some have now only one foil kite, a 9mtr or one highly skilled guy i know of 105kg who uses a 7 mtr ul hyperlink v1 for all conditions, truly amazing, but not easy to copy in typical UK conditions.
In my learning the lighter your kite the more chance you have of getting near the the absolute low end capability of the kite.
and to match that kite capability the human element on the bar end has to train hard to understand the fine nuances that are to be understood and employed, but that comes with practice and in my case just not going for the easy option and grabbing the larger kite that is way easier to use for the marginal winds, easier but way less fun (in my case)

back to the main question
the Hyperlink V2,
its been good to to own the lightest freeride closed cell foil kites out there, that is the V3 UL Chrono,and this incredible lightness has now been matched by the V2 Hyperlink, truly amazing, this is based on fact, ok ok, if you want to split hairs the 9mtr v2 hyperlink weighs 1650 grams, the chrono 9mtr v3 ul weighs in at 1620 grams, but both are light enough "not" to back down when the wind dies, and the hyperlink is better at this than the chrono, at it maintains tip shape better so if you let the bar go and free the kite to do its own thing then it will simply lower itself down gently onto its trailing edge and sit there, no drama and no tip folding, this translates into real world better low end for me, easier to body drag out with less chance of a tip fold and kite collapse,
getting my 85kg arse up on my 110 board both feet strapped down above my 633 wingset in silly light winds does require a little adjustment and practice, I have found its better to depower a few cm, using a click bar that's 2 clicks of depower, then fully looping the kite down from behind and bearing off a tiny bit to get the full power spike available, fully extended arms are needed through the full reverse downloop, once flying quickly re engage full power, no need to de-power again if more loops are needed for more speed,
its worth noting that if you are not strapped down then its even easier to get up by moving your back foot forward a bit just before looping.

where all this gets a bit frustrating is in poor quality winds, gusty stuff just ruins everything, and that fantastic low end melts away into frustration, so being mindful of this fact will maybe help you make the better decision, which at times is to maybe to play safe and not go out, yes I know, that's one hard call to make.

my 11mtr chrono v3 ul rarely gets used now, the 9mtr v2 hyperlink is my choice 9 out of 10 times in the super light conditions, and if the winds are nasty gusty then the 7mtr v2 hyperlink is a joy to use and the lowend of that kite is unreal, such a fun kite, and super safe to use in gusty stuff, so well behaved and easy to use. the 5mtr hyperink v1 is that rare session saver when its silly strong and wavy, but not as well behaved as the v2 that's quite noticeable for me, not badly behaved just not as super well behaved as the 7mtr.

Its easy for me to make that choice of which hyperlink to buy, if I had to choose, then the 9mtr v2 without question or hesitation.
but if new to foil kites then maybe the 11 mtr for average weight guys, but remember this is only applies to the v2 hyperlink, the v1 standard cloth hyperlink which I also owned is not the same experience in so many ways.

my note about me extending my arms and using a little depower when looping to get going applies to me more than say Tom Tom in the above post, I have sailed with Tom Tom and his arm reach is unreal, he would make a fearsome basket ball player.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
nayy (Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:13 am)

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:34 am

Foil wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:54 am
I have hyperlinks up to 9 mtr and my 7 and 9 mtr are the newer V2 flavour, my 5mtr is the v1 UL
I also own the 9 mtr and 11mtr Chrono v3 ultra lights, and I did own the larger 13 and 15 mtr V3 chrono Ulight versions, but these 2 kites I have now sold as my need for them diminished drastically after learning how extract the best low end capabilities out of my smaller and much more enjoyable smaller foils.
saying that some sailing buddies I have are split on this choice of mine to go small in marginal conditions and love their 15mtr foils, soul and v3 ul chronos.
but my view on using as small as possible is a feeling that is shared by more and more freeride hydro foil users, with the 9mtr new generation foil kite being the sort of gem in the tool box of foil kites, and in places where winds are more smooth and less gusty then some have now only one foil kite, a 9mtr or one highly skilled guy i know of 105kg who uses a 7 mtr ul hyperlink v1 for all conditions, truly amazing, but not easy to copy in typical UK conditions.
In my learning the lighter your kite the more chance you have of getting near the the absolute low end capability of the kite.
and to match that kite capability the human element on the bar end has to train hard to understand the fine nuances that are to be understood and employed, but that comes with practice and in my case just not going for the easy option and grabbing the larger kite that is way easier to use for the marginal winds, easier but way less fun (in my case)

back to the main question
the Hyperlink V2,
its been good to to own the lightest freeride closed cell foil kites out there, that is the V3 UL Chrono,and this incredible lightness has now been matched by the V2 Hyperlink, truly amazing, this is based on fact, ok ok, if you want to split hairs the 9mtr v2 hyperlink weighs 1650 grams, the chrono 9mtr v3 ul weighs in at 1620 grams, but both are light enough "not" to back down when the wind dies, and the hyperlink is better at this than the chrono, at it maintains tip shape better so if you let the bar go and free the kite to do its own thing then it will simply lower itself down gently onto its trailing edge and sit there, no drama and no tip folding, this translates into real world better low end for me, easier to body drag out with less chance of a tip fold and kite collapse,
getting my 85kg arse up on my 110 board both feet strapped down above my 633 wingset in silly light winds does require a little adjustment and practice, I have found its better to depower a few cm, using a click bar that's 2 clicks of depower, then fully looping the kite down from behind and bearing off a tiny bit to get the full power spike available, fully extended arms are needed through the full reverse downloop, once flying quickly re engage full power, no need to de-power again if more loops are needed for more speed,
its worth noting that if you are not strapped down then its even easier to get up by moving your back foot forward a bit just before looping.

where all this gets a bit frustrating is in poor quality winds, gusty stuff just ruins everything, and that fantastic low end melts away into frustration, so being mindful of this fact will maybe help you make the better decision, which at times is to maybe to play safe and not go out, yes I know, that's one hard call to make.

my 11mtr chrono v3 ul rarely gets used now, the 9mtr v2 hyperlink is my choice 9 out of 10 times in the super light conditions, and if the winds are nasty gusty then the 7mtr v2 hyperlink is a joy to use and the lowend of that kite is unreal, such a fun kite, and super safe to use in gusty stuff, so well behaved and easy to use. the 5mtr hyperink v1 is that rare session saver when its silly strong and wavy, but not as well behaved as the v2 that's quite noticeable for me, not badly behaved just not as super well behaved as the 7mtr.

Its easy for me to make that choice of which hyperlink to buy, if I had to choose, then the 9mtr v2 without question or hesitation.
but if new to foil kites then maybe the 11 mtr for average weight guys, but remember this is only applies to the v2 hyperlink, the v1 standard cloth hyperlink which I also owned is not the same experience in so many ways.

my note about me extending my arms and using a little depower when looping to get going applies to me more than say Tom Tom in the above post, I have sailed with Tom Tom and his arm reach is unreal, he would make a fearsome basket ball player.
Thx ! How much wind do you need to get going with the 9 in regular winds ? 8 knots

Nayy

Return to “Kitesurfing”