Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Insta360 One R

Postby fun2kite » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:10 am

Thanks! Yes, I bought dive case right away ad it was a total disappointment as it is visible.

So I took the case off and tried without it. (of course worrying about the camera), but so far, the camera is ok. I do try not to fall while riding with it..

Here is a 360 degree test (must watch on mobile phone or a browser that supports 360 degree videos.

FB:
(FB can fully zoom out.. best view angle. Switch to 1600 resolution)

YouTube:
(Youtube you can zoom out a bit in full screen mode only. Switch to 4K resolution)

haiku wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:38 am
Hi, I used the Insta 360 One R without the dive case with the 4 K harness Mount. After the first kite session the camera was dead, no way to turn It on or even to charge It. Luckily I had It replaced and I bought a Dive Case for the 360 Mod and a vertical battery...what a mistake! The dive case base is visible even If I reframe the video so, I can only shot front or rear videos loosing all the magic of the invisible stick of the 4 K harness Mount. I'm so sad because the 360 video quality is excellent. So by now I will use my Insta on the kite lines but not in water anymore.

Cheers

Carlo

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:19 am

fun2kite, please be the director of your videos. 360 unedited/reframed videos suck badly for us watchers. Maybe you as video author have more fun watching those on every possible angle than us, random video watchers. So please at least reframe your videos what you like us to see in them in normal 16:9 video, instead of making us rotating video around trying to search something to watch, you video initial view is downwards to sea.

360 cameras are made for edit process re-framing, not end users to rotate videos aimlessly. So going back to acting as director, please direct our views where you want our attention to be.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:22 am

I was not sure if I had posted this before, but it shows the One Rs Capabilities in low light and the quality of the sensor data.

--
Gunnar

Jeremey76
Rare Poster
Local Beach: katwijk aan zee
Favorite Beaches: katwijk aan Zee Dolphins beach Hermanus
Style: free ride big air
Gear: Nort Reach 11 , 9 , 7 , 5 , North Orbit 8 , 12 Core XR6 17m2LW North Atmos carbon Lieuwe Shotgun 138 Mystic majestic X .

Postby Jeremey76 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:28 am

nice Gunnar i got my one R twin edition yesterday trying it out for a session this weekend is there any tips you can give me i got a helmet with some sticky mount a selfy stick making a custom backmount at the moment and orderd the ugo line mount that shoul arive friday.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:02 am

Jeremey76 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:28 am
nice Gunnar i got my one R twin edition yesterday trying it out for a session this weekend is there any tips you can give me i got a helmet with some sticky mount a selfy stick making a custom backmount at the moment and orderd the ugo line mount that shoul arive friday.
Here is Insta one x 360 test video mounted on my helmet. I've baseball cap type helmet so I've drilled camera mount screw through "visor" and use gopro camera mount adapter. You can see part of this std. adapter on visor of my helmet. Stabilization is great as you can see.

On other helmet without visor I use sticky mount, and from mount-side with screw, I've made short dyneema line to helmet's strap. So if "3M" sticker gives up, I still have the camera with me.

On gopro surf mount there is double stickers, but I still think putting again dyneema to hydrofoils front foot mount.

Helmet mount of Insta One X 360.

Board mount of same camera on same test session..
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
Jeremey76 (Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

douglasbreaks
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 83
Local Beach: lancing, camber, greatstone, south end, hayling.
Favorite Beaches: hunstanton, rhosilli
Gear: Peak4 5m.Evo7m,9m,12m.Juice15m.Kitech Frs 12m.
Select138.Spike154.Refraction147.Gong Freewave HF.P-Unit SB.Trampa LB.
Been thanked: 0

Postby douglasbreaks » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:52 am

Hi Gunnar, how has it held up - any water related problems without using a waterproof case?
gmb13 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:52 am
haiku wrote:
Hi, I used the Insta 360 One R without the dive case with the 4 K harness Mount. After the first kite session the camera was dead, no way to turn It on or even to charge It. Luckily I had It replaced and I bought a Dive Case for the 360 Mod and a vertical battery...what a mistake! The dive case base is visible even If I reframe the video so, I can only shot front or rear videos loosing all the magic of the invisible stick of the 4 K harness Mount. I'm so sad because the 360 video quality is excellent. So by now I will use my Insta on the kite lines but not in water anymore.

Cheers

Carlo
I used my second one in the water without a case for some time now and it's fine. What I did find however is that the rubber retainer holding Cover for the USB compartment can get caught under the seal of the cover. This will let water in. I cut that off now to prevent that from happening.

--
Gunnar

douglasbreaks
Rare Poster

Postby douglasbreaks » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:57 am

Hi Carlo

did you post any footage with the Isnta360 360 waterproof case showing the Nadir blocking you in the shot? i am wondering how bad it is as i also want to use the footage to zone in on friends around me using the 360 mod, but prob just use the 4k mod for shooting myself with the k4 mount.
fun2kite wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:10 am
Thanks! Yes, I bought dive case right away ad it was a total disappointment as it is visible.

So I took the case off and tried without it. (of course worrying about the camera), but so far, the camera is ok. I do try not to fall while riding with it..

Here is a 360 degree test (must watch on mobile phone or a browser that supports 360 degree videos.

FB:

YouTube:
(Youtube you can zoom out a bit in full screen mode only. Switch to 4K resolution)

haiku wrote:

Cheers

Carlo

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:42 am

douglasbreaks wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:52 am
Hi Gunnar, how has it held up - any water related problems without using a waterproof case?
gmb13 wrote:
haiku wrote:

Cheers

Carlo
I used my second one in the water without a case for some time now and it's fine. What I did find however is that the rubber retainer holding Cover for the USB compartment can get caught under the seal of the cover. This will let water in. I cut that off now to prevent that from happening.

--
Gunnar
So far so good with the second one. Still works fine and no water has gotten in. Only issue now is the Insta have messed up the desktop software and made it a pain in the ass to work with. I now have to use my MAX most of the time as the workflow of the Insta has become really bad thanks to them removing batch processing in the last update.

--
Gunnar

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:39 am

douglasbreaks wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:57 am
Hi Carlo

did you post any footage with the Isnta360 360 waterproof case showing the Nadir blocking you in the shot? i am wondering how bad it is as i also want to use the footage to zone in on friends around me using the 360 mod, but prob just use the 4k mod for shooting myself with the k4 mount.
fun2kite wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:10 am

FB:

YouTube:

haiku wrote:

Cheers

Carlo
[/quote

Hi I am in Sardinia when I come back home I post a footage with the waterproof case (360 mod). I haven't my Insta 360 with me.

Cheers

Carlo

douglasbreaks
Rare Poster

Postby douglasbreaks » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback Gunnar, good to hear. Just bought one and looking at the seals, it does look like it should be watertight with the without too much pressure (2m plus underwater) as long as the surround is holding the modules together.
gmb13 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:42 am
douglasbreaks wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:52 am
gmb13 wrote:

--
Gunnar
So far so good with the second one. Still works fine and no water has gotten in. Only issue now is the Insta have messed up the desktop software and made it a pain in the ass to work with. I now have to use my MAX most of the time as the workflow of the Insta has become really bad thanks to them removing batch processing in the last update.

--
Gunnar

Return to “Kitesurfing”