Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Shorter board is less playful...!

Postby kit3surfer » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:48 pm

Hello,

I started with the Duotone freefoil board and the 950 carve wing and found it after a while pretty playful/reactive in waves. Now I switched over to a way shorter stiff board (moses ca. 120 cm) and found it suddenly awful to turn and carve on the waves. I tried two settings of mast position, but both made me feel like a total beginner again. To be concrete: on my old flexible and longer board my carves on the waves were way looser, narrower and more relaxed and playful. I did not had to concentrate at all while surfing the waves.... And now with a two times more expensive board I regresse and can only do big boring carves (fully concentrated)!
What could be the mistake? Any ideas are very welcome.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Re: Shorter board is less playful...!

Postby Jyoder » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:00 am

If you’ve accounted for the possible changing variables like foot or strap position then just give it time to get dialed in and update muscle memory.

kit3surfer
Medium Poster

Postby kit3surfer » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:22 am

I ride strapless, so feet can adjust and riding is OK, but surfing swell and turning tight radius changed to the worse :(

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:07 am

This is strange. If you can put your feet in the right spots in relation to the foil, nothing should change much. It seems to me that a smaller and lighter board should always be more reactive.

After all, once you are on foil, the board is nothing more than a platform to stand on.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:39 am

Used to using the weight to swing it into the turn?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:47 am

I had a similar thing on my mountain bike when I had flexible wheels. I learnt a technique to turn that required more input and and turning in sooner. I switch to carbon wheels and instantly started to crash as i would turn into the corners too soon.

The same is happening to you. You have learnt bad technique from a flexible board. You now need to relearn on a board that is responsive. Its simply a matter of time on the board. Once you get used to the added precision you will love it.

Because foiling is soo sensitive to weight distribution any slight change is going to mean a recalibration period more so they surface boards.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:47 am

I totally understand this feeling, and for me it was lack of rocker or nose lift, rocker line that on some small Moses boards is lacking, this lack of rocker made me feel like I had to move my weight back and start messing with the mast position footstrap positioning the whole experience for me was not great, as soon as i swapped back to a more extreme nose rocker board then all came good, what a difference a bit more rocker gives to your sailing especially at speed on a wavy surface when using the water shapes to carve around on.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:54 am

Reading your post, it seems like you should just wait, and you will get used to this board, as you should be able to turn faster and more playful on this shorter and stiffer board :thumb:

But, I agree with some of the others, that too short is not playful or useful.

At some point there is no room for nose rocker (scoop), which means you can not carve and surf around in the waves as playful and relaxed.

Which is why I love my Ketos Pocket 118 cm, and the older Groove Skate 120 is very similar, also a great board.
Being 78 kg.

Shorter than that, I also got a 90 cm board with no rocker, is fun just doing it, but very fast I change to the 118 cm as way better in every way, turns well, can go down on the whitewater or surface without risk, and pop up again, and also way faster waterstarts of course.

Some like the supersmall boards, I dont, except for the occasional fun, there are no advantages IMO, only downsides (if you dont travel).

I cant remember if the Moses 120 got loads of nose rocker/scoop or not?

If it has, then no problem you will have the perfect small board for allround fun :thumb:

If it is almost rockerless and a quite flat nose (I doubt it), then you might have issues riding relaxed and playful indeed :roll:

We are all different in liking, but I really understand this feel you describe Foil.

8) Peter

PS: If you angle a flat board up for better touchdowns, it will give you a very uncomfortable stance front leg bent rear leg straight...

kit3surfer
Medium Poster

Postby kit3surfer » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:00 pm

Thanks for the replys. I don't understand what the rockerline on the nose has to do with carving radius while flying in waves?
The hint with the weight could be an issue... maybe I used the more weight and flex to throw the board through turns and it rebounded better?
Maybe I just have to give a bit more time to myself and didn't be to stressed, but it was really crazy how much the feeling of the board changed, when I put the foil only 1 cm to the front! We'll see.
Any tips with shimming? Duotone gave me some shims with the foil, but I never understood how they work and the describtion is really crap. You even don't understand in which way you have to put them (front and back looks the same and top or bottom is not marked!).

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:38 am

Rockerline got nothing to do with carving radius, if you hardly never touch down, so as I wrote I don't think this is your issue, but it is for many of us with the short ones.

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”