Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha bars

Forum for kitesurfers
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cabrinha bars

Postby beebad » Sun May 24, 2020 10:10 pm

i got mine from barton, at sail and surf he has a lir of stuff.

appelton
Medium Poster
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Belmont Shore / CA
Gear: Still looking for gear.
Has thanked: 0

Postby appelton » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:33 am

beebad wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:55 pm
dejavu wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:49 pm
Been using Trimlite after hesitantly moving away from the recoil and personally I feel that the trimlite bar is uncluttered, light and easy to use. Gradually got out of all my recoils and now just use the trim. As far as longevity I have had no issues with 2017, 2018 and 2019 versions. I don't leave them lying around in the sun on the sand, always wash with fresh water and dry them after use. No issues.
Well here i am still in the same place. I just bought a 17m Contra and selling my 15m.
What is your weight ? I am thinking about buying CONTRA 15m - as I am 190lbs. Would work for my weight ? Given that I'll problably loose some weight and end up at my regular 175lbs.

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:43 pm

90kgs. The 15 is good in the range of say 13-19kn. I also use a 159 in lighter wind to plane more.

pākihiroa
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby pākihiroa » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:28 am

I have both the recoil (strap trim) and trimlite style bars. FWIW, I prefer the recoil for the following reasons:

(1) Always ride hooked and blessed with relatively steady sea breezes. Therefore, I generally only need to use three basic trim settings: full in, medium, and full out and generally don't fine tune much if at all in the middle of the session. I actually prefer the recoil adjustment to fine tune the setting for trimming The recoil gives a lot of 'depower' (trim out) in one of two pulls of red handle, whereas the adjustment is finer, more incremental, when trimming in ('powering up' with the black handle. So it is easy to trim it out a bit too munch and then dial the trim back in with in small fixed increments. I imagine that someone riding unhooked may have a different opinion. I also sometimes find it a bit finicky to unclear the bungee when wanting to trim in.

(2) The main complaint I have with the trim light is that, I find if I trim out all the way (ie: pull full in on the bungee), then the termination (thick) part of the bungee gets jammed in the metal part where it loops around. It becomes a two handed operation to free it. So the procedure is to drop the kite, apply a few choice swear words, and use two hands to jiggle it free. I am not sure if this is a design error, manufacturing error, or operator error. (Kamikuza opined it was the third alternative :lol: ). However, I do know that I dread having to use that bar. Of course, this is countered by the fact that my trimlite is 44 cm and I only use it on my 6 m SB and if that is the kite I am taking out I know that I am in for a fun session. :thumb:

(3) I suppose that the increased weight of the recoil bar might make a difference if you have a long trek to the beach. Luckily I don't. In any case, I never notice the weight while riding. It is more of a case of the trim light seeming light than the recoil seeming heavy. But it is a shorter and a non overdrive bar so I think that has more to do with it than the trim mechanism or weight of the spring. In other words, grow a pair on the weight issue. :cool2:
These users thanked the author pākihiroa for the post:
zlatko23 (Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:31 am

appelton wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:33 am
beebad wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:55 pm
dejavu wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:49 pm
Been using Trimlite after hesitantly moving away from the recoil and personally I feel that the trimlite bar is uncluttered, light and easy to use. Gradually got out of all my recoils and now just use the trim. As far as longevity I have had no issues with 2017, 2018 and 2019 versions. I don't leave them lying around in the sun on the sand, always wash with fresh water and dry them after use. No issues.
Well here i am still in the same place. I just bought a 17m Contra and selling my 15m.
What is your weight ? I am thinking about buying CONTRA 15m - as I am 190lbs. Would work for my weight ? Given that I'll problably loose some weight and end up at my regular 175lbs.
173...everything is wind dependent..i guess

Return to “Kitesurfing”