Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foil Gybe Advice

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Foil Gybe Advice

Postby tomtom » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:53 pm

Im mean it seriously. And see it often unfortunately. People are trying to foil with a/ waaay too bad kite flying skills, b/ waaaay too bad board riding skills.
HF riding is quite a bit more advanced than TT riding and demands some skill set. Be able to gybe on TT is pretty basic skill. I dont feel arogant to say that.

kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitegirls » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:15 am

tomtom wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:25 pm
Two different things

Peter says dont mix foil with TT and SB while learning! TRUE
Other says you should be comfortable with on TT on SB! also TRUE

So jibe comfortable on TT SB and then commit to Hydrofoil only while learning.

Anybody who cant jibe on SB or TT with ease are just not skill enough for HF

Of course there are rare exceptions like some race guys which went direct to HF from windsurfing formulas
I cannot gybe a TT nor ride a TT heelside. Ive never ridden a surfboard / directional board at all. It took me about 20 or 30 sessions but I can now gybe the foil to both toeside and heelside without issue and can ride toeside for a few hundred meters without having to switch.

kitegirls
Medium Poster

Postby kitegirls » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:17 am

Eduardo wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:47 am
two disagreements on some advice:

I don't think swapping out equipment is going to help. I got to do some demos when I was about at your stage and sorry to say, if you suck, you suck on all equipment. you can learn this on anything not too extreme (no race foils...)

second, I am a very good kite looper from my jumping days so I started at your phase with looping. But I learned it is not needed. if you get the carve right with tension in the lines and starting from upwind, even wind under 10 knots I do not loop and stay on foil through the jibe. A couple friends loop every turn but in my opinion, their timing is bad and they carve down wind way too early and then have to loop to compensate for bad timing and regain tension.

I do agree with another post that you are likely underpowered for a beginner which puts extra demand on perfection. try going out with a couple extra square meters just to practice turns. when you get a bit better, you can go back smaller.
Your first statement is incorrect. After riding the Cabrinha foil for several weeks and failing at all gybes I bought a lift and did 60 or 70 gybes my first time out.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:44 am

It could also be you simply suddenly "got the idea"?

Meaning if you swop back now, you would be able to do some jibes on the cab.

It is so delicate and when you begin to make some, you don't really know why.

Or just the change was the kick that made it work, eventhough the foil not the main reason, and suddenly you can do some.

Not always as obvious what the cause is IMO, for success on a steep learning curve. .

8) Peter

kitegirls
Medium Poster

Postby kitegirls » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:05 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:44 am
It could also be you simply suddenly "got the idea"?

Meaning if you swop back now, you would be able to do some jibes on the cab.

It is so delicate and when you begin to make some, you don't really know why.

Or just the change was the kick that made it work, eventhough the foil not the main reason, and suddenly you can do some.

Not always as obvious what the cause is IMO.

8) Peter
Possibly, but it would be slim and stretching. I made 6847 ;-) gybe attempts on the Cab and made zero. On the Lift I made the first one and then continued to make 100 more throughout the day first day out.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:10 pm

kitegirls wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:05 am
Possibly, but it would be slim and stretching. I made 6847 ;-) gybe attempts on the Cab and made zero. On the Lift I made the first one and then continued to make 100 more throughout the day first day out.
The Double Agent? I thought it was power-hungry and tended not to glide well at all ... the new ones are much better.

IMO when you're learning to gybe it's about adapting to the balance of foil speed, the radius of the turn and the power of the kite. The more a foil will glide with less kite power, the easier it is ... so I'm not surprised your Lift gave rapid success.

chibern
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SoCal
Style: Spastic
Gear: Anything

Postby chibern » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:12 pm

Slight thread hijack...

What is the trick to high(er) speed gybes? For relatively sedate speeds, I can gybe fine. However, if I'm cruising along and want to do a sudden direction change I always outrun my kite especially in lower (10kt) winds. Do I just have to lean harder into the turn to tighten up the radius, downloop only, faster/slower kite movement?

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Lake Mojave boat launch
Favorite Beaches: Lake Mohave AZ
SPI
Union Island
Style: Intermediate surf/beginner foil
Gear: Switch Helium 8/12/16
Hyperlink V1 12

Postby Rojbrown » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:26 pm

In a different thread (Armstrong vs Axis) advice was a different foil would Not allow for rapid progression such as this. I'm stuck in touch down gybe mode. For me that's the current and elusive goal. Yes, time on the water is probably the main limitation. Any feedback on equipment (specifically foil) to accelerate to this skill. Thanks!!

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:17 pm

chibern wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:12 pm
Slight thread hijack...

What is the trick to high(er) speed gybes? For relatively sedate speeds, I can gybe fine. However, if I'm cruising along and want to do a sudden direction change I always outrun my kite especially in lower (10kt) winds. Do I just have to lean harder into the turn to tighten up the radius, downloop only, faster/slower kite movement?
High speed, downloop.
If you go fast the downloop gets smoother and you don't get the powerspike you can get when downlooping at slower speed.
These users thanked the author AndersP for the post:
chibern (Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:25 am)
Rating: 3.03%

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:03 pm

chibern wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:12 pm
Slight thread hijack...

Key thought for me is to turn the kite earlier or the board later. It can help to head upwind before the turn.

In the lower winds the kite turns slower.
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
chibern (Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:25 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”