Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 80kg
Style: Freeride
Gear: Trying to figure it out
Brand Affiliation: None

Another this vs that thread: XR6 vs PS for beginner

Postby ZMN » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:01 pm

Hi all,

Happy to be joining the community. New to board sports but was an advanced level skier doing part-time ski patrol in my earlier years back in Colorado.

I just finished some lessons and, while it was rough, I got enough over the hump that I'm eager to get a kit and progress on my own.

Struggling with the following options and hoping to draw on this community's thinking.

Option A (~$3,000): Demo Core XR6 13.5m with Demo Sensor 2S bar and Lightwave Wing Carbon 155 board
Option B (~$2,000): USED Eleveight PS 14m with Demo CS bar and Lightwave Wing Carbon 155 board
Option C (~$2,500): USED Eleveight RS 12m with Demo CS bar and USED Process board

Priorities: Looking for a setup that mainly gets me over the beginner hump in relatively low wind conditions (8-15 mph).

Currently leaning towards Option B, followed by selling the gear if I get the stage where more skills warrant more expressive gear.

I know that the XR6 and RS have the benefit of still being good through the intermediate stages (and beyond), but they're costlier and less performant in low wind. The low wind is important because I have three weeks starting now to get a lot of time in with the sport in low wind conditions. The rest of the season is higher winds, but my ability to have time during the rest of the season will depend on how many smiles the next few weeks can put on my face :)

Cheers!

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Re: Another this vs that thread: XR6 vs PS for beginner

Postby HALF » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:44 pm

None of these options are great for 8-15mph
Go bigger, 15-17m for low wind
ignore carbon for a LW board, not necessary

The prices feel way too high, I can get brand new rs12m+new cs bar for 1350usd, board i would pick up something used for around 300-400usd

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:51 pm

Take a look some single strut kites maybe. They will be easier for a new kiter. They fly better underpowered and relaunch super easy.

notamondayperson
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Castelldefels, Sant Pere Pescador
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Freeride - Old school
Gear: Core XR6 12M
Core XR5 9m
Core XR4 7m
Core XR4 15m
Core Sensor 3+ Bar
Board: Clash Reincarnation 140cm

Postby notamondayperson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:03 am

XR6 all the way. it's like driving a sedan. Super smooth and easy handling.

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:03 pm

XR6, best kite in the World for your early years...

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:01 am

XR 6 absolutely. It has the perfect sheet in and go behaviour that is perfect for begineers and early intermediates. Also, it's a strong kite, does not suffer too much if you sometimes tomahawk it in the first days. A carbon board is not a must but can be viewed as an investment for the future: you can keep this board as your light wind board and buy a small one for good days. I'd say 100% otpion A if you don't mind too much the budget. My experience is that I never regretted the purchase of expensive but good stuff but I often regretted the purchase of cheap but not so good gear...

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:43 am

XR6 is the best kite: absolutely. It is a beginner kite: NO. In your case I would go for the Nexus ( i have both, Nexus and XR), the Nexus is a three strut, lighter and more forgiven kite than the XR. Easier to learn loops as well. The XR 13.5m is not a light wind kite. Although it can pull you around 15mph it won't be easy. Forget it in 8mph. Also the XR is a 5 strut which is on the heavy side. For a beginner I definitely recommend the Nexus and for that specific conditions, the Nexus LW 15 or even 17m.
I have a 14m three strut kite for light winds, and my weight is 66~68 kg. I can enjoy the 14m in 12kts on a twintip... less than that nowadays i would choose the foilboard.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:52 am

The core is a top line product. You can grow with it. And build out your kite quiver. Always best to use same kite brand and model in all your sizes as beginner. 13,5 size is good from 14 knots on tt as a beginner.
On a TT don't expect to kite until is 12-14 knots. Then a 15m is better.
Then if you have season of 18-22 knots you'll want a 12m and a 9 m
So you should look to build a quiver of 15-12-9 .
But Depends on your wind conditions. If in place with more wind then 13,5 -10-7 could work.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:04 pm

For a beginner it really doesn't matter much what kite it is, as far as it is of right size and is not an extreme kite for some special purpose. Good sheet-in-and-go pull and easy relaunch are perhaps the most valuable properties.

So some three strut middle of the range kite will do very well: Rally, Lithium, RS, Neo, Catalyst, Envy, Bandit etc. etc., every brand has kite in that segment.

Don't pay extra for brand or new model, it won't help you. In last 10 years inflatable kites have not developed much, there isn't anything new (except Aluula).

Board needs to be big enough and not to have too much rocker, and even more big if there is not much wind. Carbon is waste of money for a beginner. If you really want to extend low end and to get more hours on the water then there is no substitute for a door.

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best

Postby bjw » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:16 am

There is a lot to be said for the PS. Use it learn on it then keep it for your light wind kite later. Then upgrade to your smaller more high performance kite.

There is no point spending a fortune on your first kite as no matter what you get you will demolish it. I spent up on my first kite and regretted it. Spend later.

Return to “Kitesurfing”