Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

how do you retrieve someone elses foil board?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Re: how do you retrieve someone elses foil board?

Postby derek440 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:17 pm

I actually had to work this out last night so interesting to see this. I was foiling late in the evening and about to go in and the wind went funky and ended up way downwind, eventually as I got back to shore went went back up and i went back upwind arriving in the dark and then noticed a friend was still out with his foil kite down and he seemed to be swimming rather than sitting on board. So I went back out in the dark to check him and when I got there his board and foil were gone and its a black chubanga, so i went looking in teh dark and found it and then had this dilemna. Tried one arm on each board then tried my feet in mine and arm on his, both not working well. In the end I rode his board to him and dragged back to mine, luckily it wasn't too far. He sat on his board and did a foil kite self rescue and I went back in. The upside was the short ride on his chubanga was pretty awesome, that is a sweet board and foil, bet he's glad it wasn't gone!
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post:
Peter_Frank (Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:20 pm

Nice! By salvage rules, the Chubanga now belongs to you right? :D
derek440 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:17 pm
he seemed to be swimming rather than sitting on board
I've gotten myself into this situation before. Usually I would grab my board first then relaunch, but I thought I could relaunch the kite if I tried right away. I let the board go downwind, but the kite never relaunched. Then I was floating with a foil kite and no chance to catch the board. Luckily my board wound up on the beach, and I wasn't too far out. Now, no matter what, if the kites in the water I always swim to grab the board first.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:25 am

Very true Dave.

Even with a tubekite, your board will most likely pedal away downwind, if you can not relaunch.

So grab the board first thing, always.

8) Peter

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:04 pm

I've been trying to figure out how to get my girlfriend who is now a pretty decent foiler to not let her board go when working on relaunch of her kite! No matter what, if she is down.....off the board goes. I know how tricky it is to deal with foil kites and keep your board with you...I use a tether or sit on the board if the conditions are going to take some time... I am loath to add complexity to her life but I gotta figure it out before my mouth gets me in trouble! :-)

If it's windy enough I just cycle the boards back upwind....hers upwind of her, then drag back to mine and repeat usually is required.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:33 pm

cwood wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:04 pm
I've been trying to figure out how to get my girlfriend who is now a pretty decent foiler to not let her board go when working on relaunch of her kite!
The easiest way is to put the board in front of you sideways. Then put your feet on the fuselage under water on either side of the mast. Now you can have your arms and your bar on top of the board and you can see what you are doing relaunching. The board is also resisting the pull toward the kite which helps in relaunching in light wind.
:wink: CG

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:44 pm

So far I have only ditched my board - help out - and go back to mine. Mine literally flies with the chop waves so it’s down with me shortly after I sorted things out with the other board owner.

Riding with another foil in hand seems way undoable to me. Impressive that some actually can!!!

Return to “Hydrofoil”