PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Inflatable wing boards

Postby PrfctChaos » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:28 am

How often do you see carbon layers delaminating from other carbon layers? I certainly don't.

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:30 am

I would like to know more about the durability of this kind of inflatable board. I have two friends that bought Chinese inflatable board and after 2 - 3 years the glue get old and the side of the board started to deattached.
I don't know if can be fix or if it will be garbage

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:03 pm

PrfctChaos wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:28 am
How often do you see carbon layers delaminating from other carbon layers? I certainly don't.
I've seen it in kiteboards with double bias carbon cloth with strands pulling loose a long way.
Do you understand that the bond strength is massively stronger in the direction of the fibres than between the layers? Otherwise people would just paint their boards with epoxy resin only. :D

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.

Postby fluidity » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:04 pm

fluidity wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:03 pm
PrfctChaos wrote:
I've seen it in kiteboards with double bias carbon cloth with strands pulling loose a long way. I've also repaired a friend's delaminated C.F. kiteboard.
Do you understand that the bond strength is massively stronger in the direction of the fibres than between the layers? Otherwise people would just paint their boards with epoxy resin only. :D

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:06 pm

LeoLeal wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:30 am
I would like to know more about the durability of this kind of inflatable board. I have two friends that bought Chinese inflatable board and after 2 - 3 years the glue get old and the side of the board started to deattached.
I don't know if can be fix or if it will be garbage
If the glued structure is like kites then it's likely from overheating in the car. Or a bad batch, wrong glue. Kites aren't supposed to be kept in the heat of a car long term.

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster

Postby PrfctChaos » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:43 pm

fluidity wrote:
PrfctChaos wrote:
I've seen it in kiteboards with double bias carbon cloth with strands pulling loose a long way.
Do you understand that multilayer prepreg carbon objects like masts, wings etc hold up really well IN THE REAL WORLD. Same construction as the gong foil base being discussed.

You are clearly just getting started in the wonderfull world of epoxy based fabrication and overtheorising something that you will understand better later.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:25 am

PrfctChaos wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:43 pm
fluidity wrote:
PrfctChaos wrote:
Do you understand that multilayer prepreg carbon objects like masts, wings etc hold up really well IN THE REAL WORLD. Same construction as the gong foil base being discussed.

You are clearly just getting started in the wonderfull world of epoxy based fabrication and overtheorising something that you will understand better later.
Difference between us is that I learn and pass on my knowlege. So far I only see you making unsupported claims.
So your claim that the construction of the Gong foilbase is the same as CF masts and wings, you'd actually have to compare prepreg CF sources, specifications, quality control measures in the prepreg factory , storage temperature profile in transit and on site and procedure in the assembly and autoclave processes. And even then you'd luck out because the shapes are very different, the stresses are very different and the core materials don't compare. A racing hydrofoil can be carbon only because it's span is high and it's chord is minimal. A wingsurf hydrofoil has a lot of thickness which is pointless to waste expensive composite materials on so any manufacturer will uses a lower costing core. A mast has peak loading on long curved surfaces at the extremes of inside and outside bend deflection. A Hydrofoil has smoother front to back loading but intense loading toward the centre. A foil base has shear forces between CF layers on front attachments points and compressive forces on rear of the flange on a foil ground impact.
A careful google shows innovations like this: https://www.compositesworld.com/article ... lamination dated 10/21/2015, but uptake of new factory processes is dependent on tooling and supply, training.
As someone who's never used prepreg I can theorise that in a factory environment it's possible to mix batches of resin with high short fibre content and blend these totally into the prepreg fabric. However short fibre agregate tensile strength doesn't compare with long continous fibre strength. So forgive me for querying the delamination resistance of the Gong base!

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster

Postby PrfctChaos » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:37 am

Im not reading your longwinded post mate. Gong can and do make CF items that seem to hold up well and work reliably. So I wouldn't worry about them. I think this chat would bee more suited to a specific topic in the gear builders section.

As you were gents, Ill exit the conversation here.
These users thanked the author PrfctChaos for the post:
Eltreato (Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:28 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Wingsurfing”