Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Gong Veloce impressions

Postby TomW » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:17 pm

I just got my gong Veloce M and 100cm CF " monoblok" mast.
Build quality is top notch. Some cosmetic errors on the big gong logo print on the mast.
The mast is massively wide at the base, tapering to the integrated fuselage.
sketch1594382112231.png
Today I attempted to go out in some rough waves but failed due to massive amount of mucky sea moss in the start zone. 4 times I lifted off got stuck in it and ended up in the break zone and got washed in. Add to that 2 unintended c loop releases against board, foil tangled in lines, foil kite down and rolling in the waves 2 times and 30 min untangling.

Looks good tomorrow and will try another spot.

Anyone have one it would be great to hear your impressions too.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
chibern (Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Gong Veloce impressions

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:09 am

Sounds like a perfect day - I've had some of those too. Yeah, the mast looks pretty wide at top. How is the fuselage fit with the Veloce & with the MPro wings?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:04 am

That’s a nice looking pocket board!

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:13 am

Tom, looking forward for your review!

Quick question; what's the length between the top of the plate and the bottom of the fuselage, ie. the max length of the setup, please? Gong says 100cm, but then again in another source at Gong site, it says 105cm?

I'm also interested in how tight the connection of the front wing and fuselage as in Oase forum people had some slack in this connection (wobbled a lot).

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:38 pm

The length is 1045mm from base to outside fuselage.
The wings fit well, slide on easy, no play at all once screwed on with 3 screws each.
But top of rear wing " tube" sticks up from fuselage about 2mm. I'm going to round it off.

I was just out an hour. It plays a two tone whistle constantly. Have to sand the trailing edge off the wings.

Take things with a grain of salt, only out an hour in rough conditions, 1m swell, super choppy, Gusty wind over powered at times on my Hyperlink 7m on 15m lines. About 9-11 s.
GPS says top speed 22 knots. 2 knots faster than M Pro. Is more roll sensitive, but that might be 100cm mast compared to 90cm. Fairly agile, I some way felt more agile than M pro, I guess it's a bit more yaw agile so at end of high speed turns you can hook the turn easier. But it's really close to m pro. Felt like it glides better on swell, eats chop.
Whistled so much I could feel the vibration in my feet. I suspect it's slowing it down. Plus that little 2 mm misalignment on the rear wing fuselage joint might be causing some drag.
Starting speed is marginally faster than M Pro, but a few times I popped right up. It's difficult on 15m lines, normally I'm on 20m and my timing is off using 15m.

I'm going to need 3-5 sessions to get used to it, then change the wings to m pro on the 100cm mast to make more complete comparison.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post (total 3):
Flyboy (Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:53 pm) • omg (Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:56 pm) • azoele (Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:47 am)
Rating: 9.09%

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:51 am

TomW wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:38 pm
I was just out an hour. It plays a two tone whistle constantly. Have to sand the trailing edge off the wings.
Please, let us know if/how you solve this.
I am considering the Gong, but if it whistles, then it is an absolute no-go for me :nono:
I love the silence of foiling as much as the magic carpet ride :wink:

Many thanks for the review: would love if you added more impressions after you try it more!

P.s.
you logged 2 extra knots with it: exactly what Patrice reports in his official Gong videos :thumb:
Reassuring that they do not overinflate their product.
Did/do you also find it, as he says, less forgiving on mistakes?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:56 pm

azoele wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:51 am
TomW wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:38 pm
Please, let us know if/how you solve this.
I am considering the Gong, but if it whistles, then it is an absolute no-go for me :nono:
I love the silence of foiling as much as the magic carpet ride :wink:

Many thanks for the review: would love if you added more impressions after you try it more!

P.s.
you logged 2 extra knots with it: exactly what Patrice reports in his official Gong videos :thumb:
Reassuring that they do not overinflate their product.
Did/do you also find it, as he says, less forgiving on mistakes?
There's a few videos out there, threads here on forum and instructions on gong site how to sand the TE on the wings to eliminate whistle.

It takes me 20 min. You need sanding block, 180-240-400-800 grit wet /dry ( black) sandpaper. Water. ,

The gong wings are very solid construction, better than most. And price is so competitive, that I'm willing to sand them.
My friends m pro clear didn't whistle, but my Mpro and Veloce did. Now totally silent.

Hade one wing of 4 from Moses whistle, due to pin holes in clear coat on surface of wing. That was harder to fix. Had to paint whole wing. And it cost 2x the gong.

About ride. I have been on 90 cm mast almost 4 years, so switch to 100cm could be part of increased difficulty. Feeling was that it was less roll stable, but flying foot switchs were not a problem. Too early to tell whether Veloce is preferred over m Pro.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:31 pm

Could you not mount the Veloce wing to your alum mast/fuse for a more direct comparison to the MPro?

It does sound like the Veloce doesn't really offer enough of a difference from the MPro to make it a worthwhile addition ... although it's possible that it could function as an alternative to the MPro for someone looking for a bit more speed. I wonder if it wouldn't make sense for Gong to add a smaller version of the Veloce which presumably would be faster?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:13 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:31 pm
Could you not mount the Veloce wing to your alum mast/fuse for a more direct comparison to the MPro?

It does sound like the Veloce doesn't really offer enough of a difference from the MPro to make it a worthwhile addition ... although it's possible that it could function as an alternative to the MPro for someone looking for a bit more speed. I wonder if it wouldn't make sense for Gong to add a smaller version of the Veloce which presumably would be faster?
My plan is to ride 3-4 more sessions on the 100 mast and Veloce wings and then move m pro wings to 100 cm mast to compare. Then move mpro back to 90 alu mast and compare.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:31 pm

TomW wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:13 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:31 pm

My plan is to ride 3-4 more sessions on the 100 mast and Veloce wings and then move m pro wings to 100 cm mast to compare. Then move mpro back to 90 alu mast and compare.
Makes sense. :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”