Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Sinker Kneestart for Low Volume Boards

Postby gmb13 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:50 am

Yesterday a lot of people asked me how I got up and foiling with small low volume boards. So here is some raw video of the technique I use.
I am using the Indiana 4'5" 40L Board in this video. I have even managed to start boards down to 15 liters (North Scoop) with this technique.
It is important to note that this needs power in the wing and won't work if you are underpowered.

I am using the North Sonar 1650 and 4m WaspV1 in this video. Wind is about 23knots.

I hope you like it and it can help others get going.

--
Gunnar

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Sinker Kneestart for Low Volume Boards

Postby jakemoore » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:26 pm

The video does not play in Safari in a Mac (Catalina). A you-tube or Vimeo link would be awesome.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:17 am

gmb13 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:50 am
Yesterday a lot of people asked me how I got up and foiling with small low volume boards. So here is some raw video of the technique I use.
I am using the Indiana 4'5" 40L Board in this video. I have even managed to start boards down to 15 liters (North Scoop) with this technique.
It is important to note that this needs power in the wing and won't work if you are underpowered.

I am using the North Sonar 1650 and 4m WaspV1 in this video. Wind is about 23knots.

--
Gunnar
Hi Gunnar, wind looks deceptive to me because it seems to be barely whitecapping. So 15 Litre isn't far off neutral bouyancy, do you think you could waterstart a floaty kiteboard with a foil fixed underneath for example? I'm remembering 18 years ago when I would sometimes sail a sinker windsurf board so I was up to my knees in water and still just manage to control the board in marginal wind, is it comparible? At that low bouyancy, is it better to have a sleek board than a slightly floatier one like an inflateable?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:35 am

fluidity wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:17 am
gmb13 wrote:

--
Gunnar
Hi Gunnar, wind looks deceptive to me because it seems to be barely whitecapping. So 15 Litre isn't far off neutral bouyancy, do you think you could waterstart a floaty kiteboard with a foil fixed underneath for example? I'm remembering 18 years ago when I would sometimes sail a sinker windsurf board so I was up to my knees in water and still just manage to control the board in marginal wind, is it comparible? At that low bouyancy, is it better to have a sleek board than a slightly floatier one like an inflateable?
It is hard to see whitecaps on 360 Cam footage. That board in the Video is a floaty board with 40L Volume. I find that easier than a super low or no Volume board like the 15L. I find that having a bit more width helps a lot to get the board up to the surface once you get power. The good thing about being on the knees compared to a standing start is that even a very low volume board will barely be under the surface and once you get power on the wing you surface very quickly and won't have to deal with balancing the board under the water.

In regards to inflateables. I find them the easiest low volume boards to start. The actually are more buoyant for the given size and volume. I find starting by 44L Inflateable Prototype just as easy to start as by 58L Surffoil Carbon board. So at least for the knee start that I do it seems to help having a floatier board.

Another thing that really helps when learning is to use your biggert foil as this will add some buoyancy, but also stabilize and lift the board as soon as you start moving forward. And of course once you stand you have to work a lot less to get it flying.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
fluidity (Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:57 am)
Rating: 3.03%

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:39 am

jakemoore wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:26 pm
The video does not play in Safari in a Mac (Catalina). A you-tube or Vimeo link would be awesome.
Hi Jake,

Thanks for letting me know. It plays fine if you go to the link
Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 10.36.52.jpg
@Toby the facebook video embed does not seen to work in the posts with Safari and Catalina.

--
Gunnar
jakemoore (Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:41 pm)

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:32 am

jakemoore wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:26 pm
I just uploaded it to Youtube.

--
Gunnar
jakemoore (Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:12 pm)

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:00 am

gmb13 wrote:

--
Gunnar
Thanks for the video, I have only been Winging for a month but it is very addictive. Having windsurfed for 20 years and kitefoiled for 15 years progress is very fast and feels as if the sport was made for me.

Regarding the volume for the sinking knee start, I understand that not going too low helps with getting on the plane easier, but how important would you rate the width of the board? Do you think that keeping a good width (55cm +) is still necessary ?

Thanks for the input and keep up the good work!

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:23 am

windmaker wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:00 am
gmb13 wrote:

--
Gunnar
Thanks for the video, I have only been Winging for a month but it is very addictive. Having windsurfed for 20 years and kitefoiled for 15 years progress is very fast and feels as if the sport was made for me.

Regarding the volume for the sinking knee start, I understand that not going too low helps with getting on the plane easier, but how important would you rate the width of the board? Do you think that keeping a good width (55cm +) is still necessary ?

Thanks for the input and keep up the good work!
It helps for balancing a bit and getting planing once it is up on the surface. So yes. However a 55cm board would need to be a bit longer and will end up with a pretty large volume again.

The Board in the video is 20" or about 51cm wide.

--
Gunnar

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:29 pm

Wingfoiling with a 10 litre board. The battery of his Gopro ran flat before he could film it, but he promised to make a video of winging with a 10 litre board.
There is a short clip at about 7 minutes of him waterstarting the board onto the foil.

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joekitetime » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:08 pm

I'm confused. That fanatic 5'0" is 75L. 10? Now I see it, at the very end.

Return to “Wingsurfing”