naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

hydrofoil under Airush Sector V5 54

Postby naishdude » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:07 am

Hi all,
am thinking about putting a Hydrofoil under an Airush V5 54 the measurements of the board are 54cm wide, 1.75m long and it has 30 liters volume.
The board has 3 mini tuttle box finboxes.
Is there anybody that has an idea/ ideas to use the 3 finboxes to connect the hydrofoilmast on the board?
it is not in the intension to rebuild the board or glue something onto the bottom, I want to keep it as it is.

I have been thinking about a carbon plate with 3 minituttle finbox heads that go into the board as the regular fins.
Would one think this construction will hold?
Any idea is welcome...its for lightwind use with 12m Ozone reo

thx
Dude :cool2:
Attachments
sector V5 30L.png
Home_Page_SECTOR.png
Home_Page_SECTOR.png (111.34 KiB) Viewed 2025 times

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: hydrofoil under Airush Sector V5 54

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:31 am

If you can fabricate the plate well, the boxes are far enough apart I bet it could work for a while. Would have to keep an eye on the leading edge of those front boxes. Peak forces will be traction type, trying to rip those front fins out on hard touch downs or worse ground impact. Might be a good idea to try and find some info on the boards construction. If those fin boxes are just in the bottom skin backed by light eps foam.....you could easily rip them out, killing the board and worst case scenario losing the foil. If they are in a full thickness high density block that is bonded to the top skin of the board it could potentially work.

You will have to remove those front straps. They are too far back, and likely need some wax or traction in between the straps and in front of the front pads.

All round not a horrible shape for a foil board.

kollac
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Upstate NY
Favorite Beaches: I've only got one :)
Style: freeride
Gear: A couple of hand-me-down twin tips

Postby kollac » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:30 pm

naishdude wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:07 am
Hi all,
am thinking about putting a Hydrofoil under an Airush V5 54 the measurements of the board are 54cm wide, 1.75m long and it has 30 liters volume.
The board has 3 mini tuttle box finboxes.
Is there anybody that has an idea/ ideas to use the 3 finboxes to connect the hydrofoilmast on the board?
it is not in the intension to rebuild the board or glue something onto the bottom, I want to keep it as it is.

I have been thinking about a carbon plate with 3 minituttle finbox heads that go into the board as the regular fins.
Would one think this construction will hold?
Any idea is welcome...its for lightwind use with 12m Ozone reo

thx
I understand what you are saying but if you're already fabricating carbon plates - why not re-fabricate part of the board to accept 4 thru bolts (or a high density block + tracks) and have a 100% foolproof solution? That's not a super complicated project and you'll make sure not to wreck the tuttle boxes. In surf-mode you'll just have a few holes in the bottom of the board which won't affect performance all that much. I guess you could even plug them with wax when not in use or something...

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:45 pm

kollac wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:30 pm
I understand what you are saying but if you're already fabricating carbon plates - why not re-fabricate part of the board to accept 4 thru bolts (or a high density block + tracks) and have a 100% foolproof solution? That's not a super complicated project and you'll make sure not to wreck the tuttle boxes. In surf-mode you'll just have a few holes in the bottom of the board which won't affect performance all that much. I guess you could even plug them with wax when not in use or something...
I agree. I don't see how you can use the mini tuttle boxes for a reliable, low-drag mount adapter. Modifying the board is a better solution if you want a multi-purpose board. I have several surfboards that have been foil-enabled, I don't feel any difference in the surf mode.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Heh, I forgot I still have the Sector v5 60 somewhere in the gear room. :lol: The Sectors were sessions savers for a few years until the surf foils. I wouldn't think those mini tuttle boxes would hold very long. I recall the originals had issues with boxes cracking just from included fins. I wanted to put a track on the Sector but never did it. Now I have the urge to try the Sector with a Peak4 11m in some lighter winds. But I feel that'll be like rigging up my windsurf gear and remembering why I switched. :lol:

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:07 pm

hi guy's, thx for the ideas /replies.

I was thinking on a prefab carbon plate in a shape like this ( see attachment, very simple example) this would more or less equally devide the powers over the three finboxes, on the plate there will be 3 mini tuttlebox fin heads, that will go into the board. and maybe I put longer screws is, so I can mount some bigger washers/plates on the deck of the board.

Again, its just a try out, I had some go's on a hydrofoil of a friend, but with a thin board ( kind of snowboard/TT material) no volume nothing, although I was able to go for a couple of 100 meters, I did not get the thrill.

But he still has another mast and wings, and I just want to give it another try, but with a volume board, but if I still do not get the thrill I want my Sector back, when I put 3 extra meters extensions on the lines I get some good low wind action with the secto, although the Sector 54 is more ment as a downwind slalom board.

I had nearly all Sectors but with 60 cm width, the last one V4 60 too racy, this V5 54 great even jibing and so on, is great fun with this board, thats why I want to keep it as is...( :o )

but again, any ideas and advices are well appreciated.

@Norcom I fear a sector V5 60 will be too big /wide for this , will be heavier too?

thx
Attachments
WIN_20200718_19_54_15_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200718_19_54_15_Pro.jpg (34.64 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
Last edited by naishdude on Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:30 am

If it were me I would run unidirectional carbon or glass fibres from just behind the new USA box or Deep tuttle box to the forward expected foot position and overlap with woven fabric. Remember you are going to be front foot well in front of the foil so it has a significantly greater new load.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:58 am

Righ, your plate might work, your board might break. If it does, it will be at the front edge of the forward fun boxes.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:57 pm

Nah,

It is not going to break b/c of huge thickness.

I did have a similar setup. Impossible to ride. Than cut off 40cm, down to about 130cm. Still did not work, too wide.
It is difficult to hold thick board for water start. Too bulky is not good imo, youll fight the board more than the HF.
Good luck.
D.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:56 pm

hmmm ok...it seems that there is no good solution to this....ok might look into a volume second hand board...if there is not a real good solution or the danger of breaking the board which I want to avoid anyway!
then one more question, would a race volume kitefoilboard be too difficult compared by the waveboardlike boards? I think thos race hydrofoil boards, just carry enough volume to be able to float when wind drops and kite is still in the air, but not enough to fly it actively, to get the board out of the water?
Dude

Return to “Gear Builders”