Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha valve trap install

Forum for kitesurfers
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Cabrinha valve trap install

Postby beebad » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:36 am

I inspected my 2016 drifter Leading edge valves and they are NOT leaking.

But, one valve has one end delaminating from the bladder with about 1/8-3/16” before it reaches the valve space at which point i will have a leak.

The easiest thing would be to remove this valve, use a valve trap and get on with kiting.

Only thing, how does one remove a valve without deforming the bladder?

I know they say to use a blow dryer ......

Any ideas?

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Re: Cabrinha valve trap install.

Postby GregK » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:48 am

Safest way is to pour a big ceramic mug half-full of boiling water, soak the valve and bladder still attached to it in the hot water for a good 5 - 10 minutes, remove it from the water quickly, draining away any water that's entered the bladder & shaking off the water on the outside, then gently peel the valve off.

If it doesn't come off easily, repeat the soaking in fresh boiling water.
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:
beebad (Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:09 am)
Rating: 3.03%

beebad
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:16 am

GregK wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:48 am
Safest way is to pour a big ceramic mug half-full of boiling water, soak the valve and bladder still attached to it in the hot water for a good 5 - 10 minutes, remove it from the water quickly, draining away any water that's entered the bladder & shaking off the water on the outside, then gently peel the valve off.

If it doesn't come off easily, repeat the soaking in fresh boiling water.
I think i used a blow dryer a few years ago and deformed the bladder slightly but i was able to remove the valve, trap it, and then reattach it....but it was a harrowing experience when the bladder deformed because of the heat.

Would you ever just carefully cut the valve off the bladder, use the valve trap and then reintroduce the valve since you would be using a valve trap?

https://www.jupiterkiteboarding.com/sto ... J8EALw_wcB

I am ready to try the boiling water....

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:37 am

You want to maximize the amount of valve trap in contact with the bladder film. If the valve has started to delaminate, it will likely come off pretty easily with a soak or two. Usually only cut off a valve when the factory bond is so new and strong that it would take a LONG time to soak or heat it off.
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:
beebad (Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:51 am)
Rating: 3.03%

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:53 am

GregK wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:37 am
You want to maximize the amount of valve trap in contact with the bladder film. If the valve has started to delaminate, it will likely come off pretty easily with a soak or two. Usually only cut off a valve when the factory bond is so new and strong that it would take a LONG time to soak or heat it off.
Makes sense. The last thing is seeing a potential session killer now and not addressing the issue....i will do the big boil in the morning.. i appreciate your help. Wish us luck cheers

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Avro, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:59 am

I have done a few of these. I simply peel the valve off in room temperature very gently and slowly off the bladder. Just do it slowly and it should come off. Then clean both the surfaces of the valve with an alcohol wipe, stick the top of the valve first to the first section of the trap, then the base of the valve which encaptulates the valve. Firmly press all around the valve to ensure it is well sealed then alcohol wipe the bladder and line up the hole on the bladder, peel off the bottom of the trap and stick to the bladder on a flat surface. Press firmly all around. Remember if one is gone chances all the others are too. They usually start lifting if the kite has been in extreme heat.

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:07 am

dejavu wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:59 am
I have done a few of these. I simply peel the valve off in room temperature very gently and slowly off the bladder. Just do it slowly and it should come off. Then clean both the surfaces of the valve with an alcohol wipe, stick the top of the valve first to the first section of the trap, then the base of the valve which encaptulates the valve. Firmly press all around the valve to ensure it is well sealed then alcohol wipe the bladder and line up the hole on the bladder, peel off the bottom of the trap and stick to the bladder on a flat surface. Press firmly all around. Remember if one is gone chances all the others are too. They usually start lifting if the kite has been in extreme heat.
I tried to do that and pull the valve off but they are on there pretty well and I certainly am trying to avoid stretching the bladder as I remove the valve because the trap will not lay flat in the end. I have done a few myself and it is always a delicate and stressful affair especially since it is hard to find bladders for some models. thank you!

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:42 am

I am told some manufacturers use a welding process as well as glue. This results in a anular ring that cannot be delaminated. They can still be repaired but it involves cutting. May be worth checking for this. If it is welded, personally I would just glue the area that has lifted providing the rest of the valve is sound and would not apply heat. Unfortunately I don't know what spec Cabrinha use.

PS. Hot air or not water work for glue. I prefer not water as guarantee temp will not exceed ~100°C, plus it helps clean the area.

Mark the bladder to show valve orientation before removal!

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:11 pm

Herman wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:42 am
I am told some manufacturers use a welding process as well as glue. This results in a anular ring that cannot be delaminated. They can still be repaired but it involves cutting. May be worth checking for this. If it is welded, personally I would just glue the area that has lifted providing the rest of the valve is sound and would not apply heat. Unfortunately I don't know what spec Cabrinha use.

PS. Hot air or not water work for glue. I prefer not water as guarantee temp will not exceed ~100°C, plus it helps clean the area.

Mark the bladder to show valve orientation before removal!
I wish i could just glue down the little corner that has come up .

Our hot water butler in the kitxhen dispenses water that is around 180 degrees. This is not a welded valve.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Re: Cabrinha valve trap install

Postby Herman » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:28 pm

I work in Celsius so assuming you are talking 180° F. That may be a little cool according to the data sheets on pu but it would not surprise me if it works in practice. I just boil a kettle.

Before I supposedly new better I just used to restick down areas that easily lifted and put a bead of Aquasure around the outside overlapping the valve base and bladder ~4mm. Never had any failures but only a small number done this way.

What is the worst that could happen if you just did that?

Return to “Kitesurfing”