Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Just not getting it

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Alvaro
Medium Poster

Re: Just not getting it

Postby Alvaro » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:28 pm

Some great comments here.
The part that took me a while to understand and apply, is that you don't have to edge your board while water starting, it is something that I did instinctively after so many years of riding twin tips.
You have to try to stand up while keeping your foil board flat, otherwise you will be fighting (and losing) against your foil instead of using it to your advantage.

I hope it helps, keep practising. Foiling It is totally worth it.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:18 pm

All good advice (except the "ride the board on the water before trying to get up on the foil, which, for whatever reason, didn't work for me at all). The turning point for me was when a pro/foilracer looked at my set up & told me to move the mast to the back of the track & where to put my back foot, which was much further forward than I had been doing. Immediately I popped up on the foil & started getting short rides. For an experienced TT or SB kiter, how far forward you need to keep your weight is entirely counter-intuitive & takes a major mental & muscle-memory adjustment.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:30 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:18 pm
All good advice (except the "ride the board on the water before trying to get up on the foil, which, for whatever reason, didn't work for me at all). The turning point for me was when a pro/foilracer looked at my set up & told me to move the mast to the back of the track & where to put my back foot, which was much further forward than I had been doing. Immediately I popped up on the foil & started getting short rides. For an experienced TT or SB kiter, how far forward you need to keep your weight is entirely counter-intuitive & takes a major mental & muscle-memory adjustment.

Hmmm, I agree, for a TT rider it is difficult, as you got your rear leg bent, and load on this leg.

But for a waveboard surfer, it is quite natural, as all the dominance is on the front leg, just as when on a surfboard :thumb:

So if purely riding waveboards, it is quite easy to find the balance.
But getting "relaxed" takes forever, and it is almost impossible to understand it will EVER be possible, when you are up for the first times.

I must say, 7 years ago when I was up foiling for the very first time, all alone here, nobody else did this, I was thinking the very same "Can this really be IT"???

So sensitive and nervous, this cant be right?

But is WAS right, and when I had learned in muscle memory, I could ride totally relaxed and ride waves, with the very same (Zeeko) foil :thumb:

Yes, you might have trim issues, as other have pointed out, let someone else try just to see how the trim works out.

Otherwise, just keep going - it will come, where you can ride relaxed one day :rollgrin:

We are not all agile and talented like Øyvind Nøstdal who can make the impossible possible, but it will come to you.

8) Peter

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:51 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:30 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:18 pm

Hmmm, I agree, for a TT rider it is difficult, as you got your rear leg bent, and load on this leg.

But for a waveboard surfer, it is quite natural, as all the dominance is on the front leg, just as when on a surfboard :thumb:

I hadn't been on a TT at all in the 8 or 9 years preceding my first foiling attempts. I was told I would get it "easier" because I was used to riding a SB. Didn't seem that way to me! :-?

Although everything is difficult at first with foiling, the major hurdle you have to overcome (IMO) is water starting. It takes a leap of faith to commit to the foil as the whole motion involved just seems very "unlikely". However, once you pass that first hurdle, the feeling of foiling immediately becomes very addictive, even though the first runs (for some time) are short & result in a lot of painful & scary crashes. Having the mast & your feet in the right position is essential for success & having the right conditions is equally important.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:05 pm

Follow these steps.
1. Don't ride your TT at all until you learn to foil
2. Don't try to fly until you can taxi on the surface , or skimming the surface, keeping upwind,
and do surface gybe.
3. Only fly low and for a few seconds before going back to surface.
4. Fly longer and return to surface to do surface gybe.

Basically everyone try's to fly too soon

knucklehead beginner
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 180 LBS
Gear: lots of kites

Postby knucklehead beginner » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:18 am

My gear setup, SS Hypermiler, foil is a SS Hoverglide 68cm Gamma wing and a 28cm mast. I bought the setup from one of my friends. He used it to learn how to foil.

I was out at Belmont today and getting short rides. Still a work in progress, but it will come.

I appreciate the encouraging words from many of you.

knucklehead beginner
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 180 LBS
Gear: lots of kites

Postby knucklehead beginner » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:35 am

I want to thank everyone for the excellent advice! I have a location where I can learn that fits the bill. There is a bit of chop, but the wind is smooth and the right strength. I have been trying in onshore wind and it is just a royal struggle. The onshore spot has wind like a fan and the water is flat, but about the time I am up on the board I am in the shallow again. Once I learn, it will be an amazing location.

I bought my setup from a friend that he used to learn on. It is a SS 4’6” Dwarfcraft and the foil is a 68cm Gamma front wing, I don’t recall the rear wing, but it is a standard setup. The mast length is 28” and I am attaching the mast at the back of the board per the instructions of my friend. I will ride strapless surfboard when not riding the foilboard. I am a long time TT rider and I like to ride super lit, so I am sure I have some bad habits to overcome.

Wazza Foil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:33 am

knucklehead beginner wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:18 am
My gear setup, SS Hypermiler, foil is a SS Hoverglide 68cm Gamma wing and a 28cm mast. I bought the setup from one of my friends. He used it to learn how to foil.

I was out at Belmont today and getting short rides. Still a work in progress, but it will come.

I appreciate the encouraging words from many of you.
Is that Belmont NSW Australia?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:21 pm

knucklehead beginner wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:34 pm
I learned how to kite in 2000 on 2-line kites. I am in my mid-50's. I am in good shape. I kite 5 to 6 days a week and I workout regularly as well. I have good balancing skills from doing yoga. I am just not sure of what my problem is...
Here's what i'm not getting :

5 to 6 days a week kiting
Since 2000 ?
250 to 300 days a year
So you want to foilboard and bring your numbers up ??
My numbers are on the high side since 1999
Year round averaging to 3 to 4 days a week / 150 to 200 year
Belmont California riding San Francisco bay ?
Don't have an answer about your problem

Return to “Hydrofoil”