WEARING A HELMET OR NO HELMET ????

Forum for kitesurfers
roelof
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WEARING A HELMET OR NO HELMET ????

Postby roelof » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:08 pm

I'm just interested to see how many people are using a helmet these days.

I've seen a few accidents so far with also some head injuries.

I live in Holland and always use a helmet even if there is not a very stong wind. But i have the feeling that using a helmet in Holland is not 'cool' as almost nobody here uses one. To my opinion safety is more important than being cool.

Every summer I go to France for kitesurfing. There you see almost everyone wearing a helmet.

How about other contries ?

Thanks,

Roelof

oceanplay
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby oceanplay » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:12 pm

:thumb: your cool just for haven the guts to stand out

sportbilly
Rare Poster

Postby sportbilly » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:35 pm

Well done, accidents will happen even if you're a pro. There are allways other surfers who can cause an accident. Look at Silke Gorldt. Or Ronald in Holland. You can be a very good kiter but the elements will have their way. What makes a person cool is not the he looks but the way he acts.
Fly safe,
Dutch kiter

Fabe
Medium Poster

Postby Fabe » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:48 pm

You see helmets and impact vests more and more here.

Yesterday was the first time i can remember to see more riders with helmets (including me for the first time) than without helmet at my homespot.
Can´t predict how it will look like in higher temperatures and less wind in the summer. At the moment helmets and vests also improve your isolation against the cold water and wind.

Fact is, you can´t walk up to the beach and get your helmet if you are in trouble! So, you´ll better wear it everytime you´re out on the water.

CaymanWind
Medium Poster

Postby CaymanWind » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:12 pm

There are only two kiteboarders on this island. I wear a helmet and an impact vest and the other guy does not because it is uncool. After being dragged around all over the lagoon on a 9m kite yesterday, the first thing he asked me after the session was how much a helmet costs. Screw cool - I would rather be uncool and alive. As it is I owe my life to a cycling helmet. That used to be uncool and now your are uncool if you cycle without one. Things change and if enough of us start wearing helmets, we will make it cool.

Ryan

Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:22 pm

I started wearing a helmet because I thought to myself, The majority of seruious KB'ng accidents involved head injuries. I kept reading "if he was wearing a helmet..." The more I thought about it, the more things made sence. I owe it to my wife to protect myself. That is why I wear one. Cool or uncool is the wrong rational to use when it comes to safety.

sgt. Salty
Frequent Poster

Postby sgt. Salty » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:08 pm

I protect my head as well. Had a small incident where I was dragged on land. Nothing bad, but I was happy had it on for the case that there could have been something.

I see a couple of guy around Lake Michigan with helmet.

BTW: Mine is cool now, because I put lots of stickers on it *LOL*

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:00 pm

I live in Salt Lake City, UT and I would say about 30% of the guys always wear a helmet. I wear a helmet and an impact vest.

Last week, I went to Aruba. I was the only guy wearing a helmet. Oh well, I don't care what other people think. I would rather be safe than impress the locals.

I noticed that experienced riders tend to treat you like a newbie when you show up at a new beach with a helmet and impact vest. I figure that they are the ignorant ones. It took awhile before helmets took hold in cycling, it may take a while for it to happen with kite boarding.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:16 pm

WEAR a helmet.

I posted on several occations the statistics that I gathered myself (asked 25 kiters):
More than 50% of kiters that didn't wear a helmet have 3 to 12 stiches in their head. :mad2:

Besides the basic head impact protection, it protects from the sun, the water inside the ears (less ear infections) and, Hey be surprized, many people out there I think it looks cool. :thumb:

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sid5150 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:50 pm

Helmets are for chumps.

I know that everyone on earth is now encouraged to wear a helmet when performing even the most mundane activities, but it just doesn't seem necessary.

When growing up, I rode (often crashed) my bike all the time without (gasp!) a helmet (Horror!). So did every other kid in the 'hood. Guess how many died from bicycle induced head injuries? ZERO.

Amazing, huh?

However, if you feel you absolutely need to wear a helmet to feel safe, feel free to do so. Know that people like myself will make fun of you. A lot.

Ladies dig scars,

Sid sends

Return to “Kitesurfing”