For all foil kite riders
neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

soul pulling to one side

Postby neilhapgood » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:20 am

Any quick fixes for a soul that is pulling slightly to one side?

thanks

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: soul pulling to one side

Postby Nem0 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 am

Do the long mixer test!

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:37 am

Check Flying lines first, then bridle lines for a small knot, and finally long Mixer.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:52 am

^^^ what he said. Also depending on your bar make sure your safety line isn’t too tight. My older Flysurfer bars would sometimes have the safety twist up enough to put tension on that side of the bridle which can cause it to slightly turn.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
kitexpert (Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:51 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:49 pm

Long mixer test is not a magic word. Actually bundling several components together is a bit suspicious way to measure and adjust differences in kite bridle. It is true LMT is usually efficient and if you don't want to use your brain it is ok. But if you want to find out in where issues develop and if there is something to improve it it is best to take measurements separately in different parts of the system.

If kite pulls to one side there is an asymmetry which causes a steering input to pulling side. Wing itself can be a culprit almost only if there is an internal damage in kite. Bridle lines are easy to compare side by side, just like mixer and flying lines.

That is very good point that if safety line is too short it pulls other front line and makes kite pull constantly to one side

MasonJ19
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: South end
Gear: Flysurfer soul 12m
Been thanked: 0

Postby MasonJ19 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:25 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:49 pm
Long mixer test is not a magic word. Actually bundling several components together is a bit suspicious way to measure and adjust differences in kite bridle. It is true LMT is usually efficient and if you don't want to use your brain it is ok. But if you want to find out in where issues develop and if there is something to improve it it is best to take measurements separately in different parts of the system.

If kite pulls to one side there is an asymmetry which causes a steering input to pulling side. Wing itself can be a culprit almost only if there is an internal damage in kite. Bridle lines are easy to compare side by side, just like mixer and flying lines.

That is very good point that if safety line is too short it pulls other front line and makes kite pull constantly to one side
While on that subject I changed all my lines and now it seems the safety is pulling on my centre line like you describe I dont know why though, all lines were same length as the older lines. Although when I pull the centre line because the safety line is kind of on a bunjee where they are attached together it does go to equal lengths without much tension needed? Would that have the same effect of pulling the kite to one side?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:32 pm

If there’s tension is could be causing the imbalance. Remember your steering lines will shrink with age and so will your safety line. So replacing them brings them back to factory length but the safety line would still be shrunken. You can try to stretch that safety line back out.

justmike666
Rare Poster
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0

Postby justmike666 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:49 am

I have similar problem on my soul 15m.. very weird. kite has lots of sessions on it but still is really good shape. I check oftenly my mixer test..
when at 12 o clock every things is perfect and kite stays perfectly balanced. when I'm riding to the left side I can ride with the kite some foot above the water, bar pretty straight. When I'm riding to the right side, I need a really big input on the bar. if I don't do that the kite has a big tendency to steer in the direction of the water. in really light winds it is not as strong but if wind picks up.. it get really worst . I first checked my bar line lenght and also tried with other bars.. (also check the safety line)

I checked the long mixer test and every thing was good so I checked all the bridles to the kite. I didn't mesure all of them but i compared left and right for symetry (all separate segments of bridle). didn't notice big differences

I also inflated the kite and inspected as i can the straps and structural components..

Something I forgot? maybe i missed something..

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:10 am

Check the sewing on top. Does it look great or pulled out and stretched?
The internal ribs might be off too. All not under much stress on zenith.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:48 am

did you check the pulleys? If one gets stuck the kite can do all those weird things, up to a kite loop..
The pulleys on the soul need a lot of attention... or you'll end up with a long swim...

Return to “Foil Kites”