Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

The New Airush Lift

Postby Toby » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:24 pm

Airush News:

The New Lift

lift.png

The Lift is said to be the kite that really put Airush on the map with its top end control, big air capabilities and smooth power delivery and was designed to turn the advanced rider into an expert, and a mere competitor into a winner, but that was in 2002. With the advancements in modern technology, a massive big air trend and a crew of passionate riders and designers, full circle around to 20/21 and the Lift is back.

The Lift is all about boosting, hangtime, and taking performance freeride to new heights. Designed for the rider looking for exceptional hangtime, explosive power and stability in the wildest conditions. Ease of use, paired with incredible top end performance, makes the Lift the ultimate big air machine.

https://airush.com/getlifted/

Behind the Design

Then and Now – Circa 2002

The Lift is said to be the kite that really put Airush on the map with its top end control, big air capabilities and smooth power delivery and was designed to turn the advanced rider into an expert, and a mere competitor into a winner.

With the advancements in modern technology, a massive big air trend and a crew of passionate riders and designers, full circle around to 20/21 and the Lift is back. We caught up with Airush Kite Designer, Mark Pattison, and go behind the design of the new Lift.

What was the reasoning behind bringing the Lift back after a 13-year hiatus?

We have been wanting to create a new big air kite for the last few years, and whilst looking at the range felt that now is the time. There has been a growing big air trend where riders are chasing hangtime and height, the combination of both of these lead to really focusing on the development of the Lift.

Just looking at the rage for big air, the Razor is our traditional C-kite with 5 lines, that in the smaller sizes is a mega-looping machine, and bigger sizes are renowned for their Freestyle capabilities. The Union is more for performance freeride, big air and freestyle crossover. The Lift fits well and brings something new to the market, offering ridiculous hangtime, performance freeride and of course you can go really high.

The naming of the Lift only came about later in the development whilst testing, it was such a legendary kite, that one of our testers Sam Medysky proposed it, as he had heard about it many years before. You would have expected the idea to come from the original Lift stalwarts such as Mike Birt, who was a team rider at the time and become our distributor later on. It´s great to have that kind of legacy, to continue to build the company on.

What influential factors have been involved with the New Lift?

We have a team of really passionate riders that love going big, and that give really good feedback, so during the design process we predominantly used Ozzie, Gijs, Sam, Victor, Kyle, DK, Su, and myself.

There were a lot of people involved at varying riding levels, styles and each who prefer different aspects of the kite. We wanted the kite to be able to perform from a full on professional level, to the everyday rider who simply wanted to boost and get lifted.

In the conceptual phase, we spoke about a few ideas, made a bunch of prototypes, tested them in a wide variety of conditions, some landed up being just OK and a few with some real magic, we focused on the good ones, refined those and developed what you now find as the Lift.

How does the new lift differ from the old lift?

In essence, the Lift is true to the original kite, meaning, that it is still all about performance freeride, and big air. We were chasing a similar explosive power feel, massive lift and hangtime, while still being stable in high winds and still being ‘easy’ to fly. However, from a technical standpoint, the new Lift is completely different to the old Lift.

The old Lift was a classic four-line C-kite, that had very little depower, and to jump it high, you needed to be very specific about where you placed it in the window, whereas the new Lift has tons of depower due to the bridles and sweep, has a much more open-C shape, and is way easier to jump. The addition of the Load Frame and WebTech reinforces the kite where you get the broader loads, so just helps maintain the structure in high winds, especially in key areas, such as the attachment points.

Ultimately, it still targets the same type of rider, those who want to go massive and enjoy really good hangtime, but who want to see a vast improvement in design and performance.

Even though the team that tested the kite are all experienced kiteboarders, how will it relate to the intermediate rider?

Depending on what style of riding you have chosen to pursue for your current level, or where you see yourself quickly progressing to, the Lift is geared to more performance freeride, meaning that you want to try some big jumps, have more time to perfect your simple spins or board offs, while experiencing a sense of flying, learning to loop, and just experimenting with your gear. Having the added sweep in the wingtips helps the kite to stay stable whilst pivoting forward and back with little effort.

Why have you included an additional High-Y setting for the Lift?

We found that the high-Y feature changes the feel of how the kite reacts to bar movements, specifically depower, but on the other hand we are also finding some people prefer the Low-Y. It’s more of a personal preference thing and what works best for your riding style. It doesn’t increase performance, i.e. you are not going to get an extra 2m added to your WOO score because you put the High-Y setting on.

What design feature makes the Lift more stable in high winds, over say, the Union or Razor which have been seen in the King Of The Air and Mega-loop Challenge?

The Razor and Union are both incredibly stable kites within their own right, but they both have a more compact geometry, focusing a bit more on the lower, more powered mega-loop vs the Lift which is designed first for height, and with a higher loop in mind.

With the higher-aspect design of the Lift, for the focus on height and glide, you have more unsupported area between the struts, so we opted for a 5-strut design to increase the drift stability. This also works in conjunction with the Load Frame to keep the overall canopy shape more structured.

Besides for big air boosting, there is talk that the Lift is also suitable for foiling, why?

We weren’t really focused on foiling when developing the kite but, that is another testament to how versatile kites are getting. Due to the higher-aspect design, the kite will sit further forward in the window which is something more advanced foil riders are looking for when chasing their upwind angle.

What about strapless freestyle? We recently saw Kiko Torres pull off some never seen before tricks, like the Front-roll Tic Tac Flip, whist using the Lift.

We signed Kiko Torres pretty recently, so although he didn’t have any input into the Lift, he got his hands on the final prototypes and is raving about it for strapless freestyle. The hangtime has allowed him fit in extra maneuvers to each trick, like the Front-Roll Tic-Tac Flip – Watch here

What board setup would you recommend with the Lift?

DK would give a much better lowdown on that, and I know there is some exciting stuff in the works, but personally I would ride the Apex, also I generally prefer to ride a bigger board and with straps over boots. The Lift is that versatile, that we have everyone from boot freestyle riders to the strapless crew, as long as you want height, it’s the right machine.

What would you say the ideal wind range would be for a 9m 75kg rider?

I would say around 15 – 32 Knots, depending on your skill level, and how powered you like riding!

AirushKiteOnly_1080x1080.jpg
Airush-Lift_Dorothee-Stanek_Jordan-Heurto_DSC_3462.jpg

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The New Airush Lift

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:13 pm

Looks like they do a 17m version. Are you going to give it a test Toby? High Y setting should fit on your North bar with the microloop too! :D

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:05 pm

Loved my 2002-3 Lift and Lift Pro kites. They certainly lived up to their name. Here's my 12.2m (projected, actual 15.5). Wish I had never sold it.
pb250005.jpg

andikite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 77
Local Beach: Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Cádiz, Spain
Caños de Meca, Cádiz, Spain
Isla Canela, Huelva, Spain
Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone Dice 6, 9, 12.
Duotone Clickbar 22-24
Duotone whip SLS 5'1
Mystic Majestic 2020 Harness

Postby andikite » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:17 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:05 pm
Loved my 2002-3 Lift and Lift Pro kites. They certainly lived up to their name. Here's my 12.2m (projected, actual 15.5). Wish I had never sold it.

pb250005.jpg
Yeaah When I was child and discovered the sport I fell in love of this kite...

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:53 am

andikite wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:17 pm
JakeFarley wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:05 pm

pb250005.jpg
Yeaah When I was child and discovered the sport I fell in love of this kite...
I had the lift pro, and it was an expensive thing of wonder, so fragile, so explosive in its lift, never had a kite like it since, very fond of that kite, sooooo flipping fantastic at delivering massive explosive boosting and hangtime that enabled such long distances in flight, it had issues that I remember well, because the kite was so light and minimal, basic token reinforcement patches that were tiny patches of soft like material that made me think really? but the kite was addictive, which did result in the kite falling apart rather quickly, but I did learn how to use an industrial sewing machine, as I had to keep it flying, the strut bladders were the weak point and simply split open at the seams, O the joy of becoming a bit of an expert at fixing my split seam bladders, but what a kite, brilliant.
I remember a lot of people bought them at the time.

Mellowyellow
Medium Poster
Weight: 62
Local Beach: South west France
Style: All round
Gear: Reedin supermodel

Postby Mellowyellow » Wed May 24, 2023 10:43 am

I’m looking for a cheaper alternative to a duotone rebel 8m.
I don’t see much feedbacks about the airush lift. (V1)
Yet it sounds the perfect alternative.

Someone is using it here ?

Also, is there anyone who can compare with the Duotone rebel ?

I saw they changed a lot the v3 so it makes me nervous to buy a v1. Is there some noticeable downsides on the v1 ?

Mellowyellow
Medium Poster

Postby Mellowyellow » Fri May 26, 2023 10:37 pm

Please any feedbacks on the airush lift v1 ?

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri May 26, 2023 10:54 pm

Mellowyellow wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:37 pm
Please any feedbacks on the airush lift v1 ?
Just google Airush Lift V1 kite reviews.
Plenty of reviews and vids there :)

Mellowyellow
Medium Poster

Postby Mellowyellow » Sat May 27, 2023 7:56 am

Reviews I sew are usually really good but airush decided to kill the model and went for a all new design for the v3.
I wonder if there was something wrong about the v1 and v2 which led them to redesign everything for v3. It’s basically a new model and Gijs wassenar explains in the video that the previous model had stability problem.

But I see nothing about that stability problem in the YouTube test of the v1…

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sat May 27, 2023 10:05 am

Your obviously not up to date with the new Big Air trend..
V1 & 2 were park and ride.
The new V3 less height faster turning to catch you from all the latest tricks..
If your just out of noob school, the 1 & 2 will be fine and also stronger canopy that will last.
If your not sure - the new Lithium would be a great allround choice and light bar pressure..

Return to “Kitesurfing”