Rare Poster
Local Beach: Gombászó
Gear: North Evo 9m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

2016 North Evo backstalling

Postby motosrac » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:12 am

Hi,
Lately, my 2016 Evo started to backstall a lot, and I think the bar pressure is also bigger than it was a couple of years ago.
My bar is perfectly tuned, so I think the problem may be on the kite canopy or more likely on the bridle.
I measured the bridle lines where the pulleys slide, and they are 1-2 cm shorter than it should be, but I didn’t check the thinner lines on the bridle yet.
As I see if the bridle lines shorter rather than longer, the kite should not stall, but loose a little power.
Can anybody give me advice what could be the problem?
Does anybody had the same problem and solved it?

I have this kite since 2016, and I used it around 50 times a year max

Thanks for any help in advance

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 2016 North Evo backstalling

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:25 am

Hi

Have you really measured all your bridle lines, and flying lines, 4 years ago when you bought it, since you can compare?

Or have you got the original measurements on the bridles from North?

I would not put anything into this though...

How many other kites do you have - are they flying with the same trim on the same bar, just not the Evo?

Anyways, in general, over time your frontlines and bridles will slightly stretch (actually not shrink as much) so all kites begins to backstall a bit more over the years.

When reaching a certain point, it might feel like it comes "all of a sudden", eventhough a gradual change.

I would just either lengthen my rear lines a tad at the leader lines, or shorten the fronts - or add a bit longer pigtails on the Evo rear attachments, and you are just fine again :thumb:

You can not measure kite bar lines to say they are "perfectly tuned" - no such thing exist....

Everything should fit as a complete setup, and this will never require the same bar trim for all kites :naughty:

8) Peter

motosrac
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Gombászó
Gear: North Evo 9m
Has thanked: 0

Postby motosrac » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:45 pm

All lines have a tag on it with a length, and I compared my measurements with these.
I only use this bar with this kite, as my other kite is a 2015 rebel and it has a 5 line setup.
On the bar itself, at full power all lines are the same length, that’s what I meant ‘perfectly tuned’.

I have to pull the trim almost half way to completely eliminate the stall, and I don’t really want to just put this long pigtail on or set the bar this way.

Maybe I’ll measure all of the bridle lines, or buy a complete new bridle.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:05 pm

I think it would be worth looking at the rear lines on the kite. If those shortened up, that would explain the back stall. It would be easy to lengthen them with a pigtail. They would be cheaper to replace.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:02 pm

motosrac wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:45 pm
All lines have a tag on it with a length, and I compared my measurements with these.
I only use this bar with this kite, as my other kite is a 2015 rebel and it has a 5 line setup.
On the bar itself, at full power all lines are the same length, that’s what I meant ‘perfectly tuned’.

I have to pull the trim almost half way to completely eliminate the stall, and I don’t really want to just put this long pigtail on or set the bar this way.

It was once suggested to me that bridles tended to shrink (perhaps the salt water) and that I should remove them from the kite and put them through a wash cycle in a mesh bag,..... has anyone tried this?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:01 pm

windybrit wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:02 pm
motosrac wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:45 pm

It was once suggested to me that bridles tended to shrink (perhaps the salt water) and that I should remove them from the kite and put them through a wash cycle in a mesh bag,..... has anyone tried this?
This is to do with the (theory?) that salt crystals/beach sand getting into the fibre of the bridle material - they get a bit fatter and a bit shorter. I have tried it and it did work to an extent. You need to stretch out the bridle lines after washing though. It did help but in this case the bridles were so out of condition that it only made about half the difference back again so ended up getting a new set of bridles.

Return to “Kitesurfing”