Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Belt/Waist leash highly recommended!

Forum for wing surfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Belt/Waist leash highly recommended!

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:47 am

I have to try this.

Are you using a coil leash, or a line?

Oh, sorry, I saw in your video you are using a line/bungee leash :thumb:

8) Peter

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:33 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:47 am
I have to try this.

Are you using a coil leash, or a line?

Oh, sorry, I saw in your video you are using a line/bungee leash :thumb:

8) Peter
One big advantage of using a waist leash for the wing is that with free hands it makes paddling through the surf with the wing in tow to get out easier.

twig
Medium Poster
Style: freeride/boosting/Hydrofoil/race
Gear: Flysurfer speed4 lotus 12m
Flysurfer Sonic fr 18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 15m
North Vegas 11m
Flysurfer sonic race 9m
Ozone Reov4 7m

Moses Vorace 101 2017
w558 w590

Flysurfer Flysplit m

Postby twig » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:35 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:39 pm
TomW wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:45 pm
Hi Peter,
Which Gong wings are you using? Mast length?
I'm considering giving this a try. 78 kg dry.
Was thinking Gong Pro XL, surf 40 cm stab. 70-80 mast ( I have already 90 and 100cm carbon masts and surf 40 stab
Have not figured out board. Might make one, as have a 7-2 sup already shaped. And all the materials on hand. I've read I should have 100L.
What wing size should I start with 5m2?

I read on gong site, I can stick with my 90 and 100cm mast. I should get pro xl and 45cm surf stab, ( can I get away with 40cm surf I already have ?)
Was thinking about getting 5-3 Hipe inflatable (110L) or Flint 5-8 ( 110L).
What do you think?

Hi Tom

I am using a Pro XL wing, 80 cm mast, and the 229 cm2 surf stab - as I wanted the most lively wingfoil possible.

A 90 cm mast will work just fine also, use your current mast.

I am not convinced about inflatables myself, but could be wrong, so can not comment...
100 litre is needed for easy learning yes, but if a wide board, you can soon get away with 80 to 90 litres.

A 5 m2 is the wing size you need.

Later a 4 if you get into riding waves, or just get "bitten" like most do, and want to get out in more wind also.

8) Peter
As kitefoiler I would like to learn other aspects of the sport and get a big do it all board. As Tom Im also considering a Flint from Gong. Question is what size?

I would like the board pretty big to be able to do downwinders like this:

I would also like to foil slower in small waves with a paddle so then im thinking to get the Gong foil pro XXL wing on a 80cm or 65cm mast. would that wing be to big to do the faster sup downwinding that is in the video above?

Then I would sometimes go kiting with this big board, with a gong pro M wing. I know that a big supfoil would not be really good for kitefoiling but on the other hand I would like the board big to be able to kite really far out and just paddle back if the wind dies.

I would also like to let some friends use the board as a Sup without the foil attached.

Then Later maybe try winging, but at first do all the above.

What size board of the Flint would you get considering everything I want to do?
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/wp-content/ ... LINT-1.jpg

Considering the 5´8 (172 x 71cm) board. But I would like the board to really float while im standing still in the water so maybe the 5´10 (177,8 x 77xcm) would fit me better? im 82kg. is these big board sizes really bad for supfoiling in somewhat bigger waves that would be almost considered surffoiling.

I guess its recommended to go smaller for winging but I think Im looking for something big and floaty as a contrast to the fast kitefoiling im mostly doing, and that I would accept all the downsides a big board have for kitefoiling/wingng - and appreciate a board that suites supfoiling/downwinding.

I have no experience with any big boards, would the 5´10 - 135liters feel stable at 82kg paddeling in some smaller waves?

with the XXL pro foil wing from gong I could also do flatwater pumping if I attach it to my groove race foilboard, theres so many doors opening if I get a big supfoil and some supfoil wings, but worth pick the right sizes before investing, it could maybe be worth getting all the equipment soon and not wait another 1-2 years... :D

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:12 pm

This might be a stupid question.... And it's definitely in the wrong forum but could someone like this be used for a surfboard leash? And hook it into the back of a harness instead of a strap around the waist.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:40 pm

HugoMC wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:12 pm
This might be a stupid question.... And it's definitely in the wrong forum but could someone like this be used for a surfboard leash? And hook it into the back of a harness instead of a strap around the waist.

As I see it, could easily use a leash hooked into the back of a harness for a surfboard leash indeed.

To avoid the same issues having it get caught in your foot/toes/whatever :D

8) Peter

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:00 pm

If you do use a kiteboarding harness with a rear saftety leash attachment I would suggest removing the front hook so that you don't end up putting it through the board or Wing.

Another simple solution is to purchase a Kayak Release Belt

www.levelsix.com
Attachments
QuickRelease.jpg
QuickRelease.jpg (16.25 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

trefas
Rare Poster
Gear: Gong, moses
Been thanked: 0

Postby trefas » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:02 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
TomW wrote:
Hi Peter,
Was thinking Gong Pro XL, surf 40 cm stab. 70-80 mast ( I have already 90 and 100cm carbon masts and surf 40 stab
Have not figured out board. Might make one, as have a 7-2 sup already shaped. And all the materials on hand. I've read I should have 100L.

I read on gong site, I can stick with my 90 and 100cm mast. I should get pro xl and 45cm surf stab, ( can I get away with 40cm surf I already have ?)
What do you think?

Hi Tom

I am using a Pro XL wing, 80 cm mast, and the 229 cm2 surf stab - as I wanted the most lively wingfoil possible.

I am not convinced about inflatables myself, but could be wrong, so can not comment...
100 litre is needed for easy learning yes, but if a wide board, you can soon get away with 80 to 90 litres.

Later a 4 if you get into riding waves, or just get "bitten" like most do, and want to get out in more wind also.

8) Peter
Would it be possible to learn winging with a 90-95 litre board? Not really interested in buying a board (>100 litre) that I will use a couple of times. Or will the >100 board still be fun when I have learned to wing it.

I have kite foiled for three seasons.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:22 pm

When you add a harness, do this.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:32 pm

twig wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:35 pm
Then I would sometimes go kiting with this big board, with a gong pro M wing. I know that a big supfoil would not be really good for kitefoiling but on the other hand I would like the board big to be able to kite really far out and just paddle back if the wind dies.

I would also like to let some friends use the board as a Sup without the foil attached.
Then Later maybe try winging, but at first do all the above.
I'm also interested in a big floaty board that I could use for kitefoiling far from shore and paddling back in if the wind dies. For >20 years I've been doing this on smaller boards, but I would rather risk the paddle back in than the swim.

I know a bigger board is less fun to ride than a smaller board, but being able to paddle back in would give me the confidence to ride some nice waves that are a bit farther out than my preferred swimming distance. I'm thinking a wingfoil (or even a small windfoil) board might be what I'm talking about. (I'm about 80kg)

So if anyone has thoughts recommendations to share, I would appreciate them.

Thanks everyone.

John

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:25 am

trefas wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:02 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
TomW wrote:
Hi Peter,

What do you think?

Hi Tom

8) Peter
Would it be possible to learn winging with a 90-95 litre board? Not really interested in buying a board (>100 litre) that I will use a couple of times. Or will the >100 board still be fun when I have learned to wing it.

I have kite foiled for three seasons.
I am 66kg and learnt on 75l board so just 9l more than my weight. First 20mn were tough but definetly not worth getting a big board just for a couple of sessions especially if you choose a day with flat water for the first tries.

Return to “Wingsurfing”