what are you workin on? kitefoil strapless freestyle progression

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: what are you workin on? kitefoil strapless freestyle progression

Postby Qiter » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:08 pm

Aerial jibe with footswitch. Have seen it first in Loic Brismontier videos. He does it with front straps, just as cool :-)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:07 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:55 pm
Your 360s are very circular. Mine are more oblong:
Aberration of the GPS probably. I feel like mine are still like yours, or sometimes a turn up into the wind, then pulled downwind without much carve in the middle :( always working on a smooth round carve...

alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:23 am

Often with my 360s I feel a bump from the foil when just getting around heading downwind again, almost like I brush against something underwater. My assumption is that this is the foil stalling out momentarily...

Does this happen to anyone else?

My 360s don't feel very circular at all (I lost my gps watch), but sometimes I fluke it and get good power all the way around.

Qiter
Medium Poster

Postby Qiter » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:32 am

alowishus wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:23 am
Often with my 360s I feel a bump from the foil when just getting around heading downwind again, almost like I brush against something underwater. My assumption is that this is the foil stalling out momentarily...

My 360s don't feel very circular at all (I lost my gps watch), but sometimes I fluke it and get good power all the way around.
This is when you go through your own foil "wake" on the way out of the 360...Common phenomenon. Usually proves it was a good one, as you dont get it when you somehow "yank" it around with the kite while almost stalling, as described in one of the previous post
These users thanked the author Qiter for the post:
alowishus (Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:56 am

alowishus wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:23 am

What Qiter said. You'll run over the "train lines" when you cross the wake of other foilers too :D the bigger the wing, the bigger the "clunk". The wing foiler guys with 2500cm2 ... it's like driving over the curb :lol:

Also your GPS probably doesn't trace much of a circle if it's on your inside arm...

I'm pretty sure my best 360s end up further downwind than I went into them, but it feels sweet riding through the whole thing powered and fast :D
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
alowishus (Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:32 pm

I'm currently learning strapless roll tacks - about 5% success, and toe to heel tacks - about 40% success. Main problem with both is having the kite in a position where I am powered enough to foil through the exit. I just need to send it harder at the end I think. The cold weather / water in the Perth winter make practice less fun.

lebast
Rare Poster
Gear: 15 FS Boost, 9,7,5 Naish Pivot, 4 Naish Slash, Ketos 118, Wave Xl, G10 350, 83 Rfx, standard fuselage

Postby lebast » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:41 pm

@Trent hink: impressive indeed. for getting up I need a bit more power of the kite. Do you get up from a sideways sitting position (pushing up the backfoot?) or what is your technique?

@Cefirmeza: the other way around is also weird, straps blocking the perfect spots, where you want to move your feet :wink:.

@Kamikuza: beautiful line. looks like some nice carving. both heelside 360s?

@geron: I haven't seen a splitt while foiling but who knows...I personally would look at surfing and freestyle snowboarding but in the end it is more style, personal preference, what feels good to you and your setup. All works perfectly good. Even one legged riding.
That skate line is insane. Looking forward to more skate like tricks in the future. flips will be a good challenge...

@tkaraszewski: exploring something new is always fun. Maybe after a little break your kitefoil riding will improve anyways, when the brain has some time to "think". Especially with roll tacks I felt like I got hung up a couple times, especially when conditions weren't perfect (the timing of starting the upwing turn/pivot, body turning and kite movement change a lot with different kite sizes and different power on the same size, whole new topic) A break/reset worked wonders for me.

@360s: hard to tell the perfect roundness from a gps track but in case you want to smoothen your 360s start play around with kite- and body lean in timing. Once you get more synched with this and comfortable with banking the turn it should feel more like a continuous carve. Water surface and kitepower dictate the size, speed and shape.

@Qiter: he has a unique style. Have you seen some recent riding of him?

keep it coming, nice to hear what you guys are workin on.

Qiter
Medium Poster

Postby Qiter » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:52 pm

lebast wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:41 pm

@Qiter: he has a unique style. Have you seen some recent riding of him?

keep it coming, nice to hear what you guys are workin on.
Unfortunately not. Most of the footage is from before 2017 and he was lightyears ahead of everybody else in terms of freestyle skills. But since then, he has completely disappeared from all channels..

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:08 pm

Great thread, and nice clip to start us off!

Mostly working on getting my grabs done proper, and changing the trajectory from up down to getting a bit more sideways line angle and wang from the kite. Feels like a bit of tail whip in the air. Finding functional grabs sooooooo gratifying. I know on a wake and snow set up grabbing in airs helps heaps with overall balance and control, but with strapless foiling its on a whole other level. The grab is often the one freeze-frame moment in these relatively short airs that lets you direct the foil for a clean landing as well as keep your body and long gangly foil unit properly balanced in the air. A good grabbed air on strapless foil is as gratifying as a nice long strapless air on a surfboard.

Working on toeside airs with front hand grab that sees the foil whip upwind in an off the lip type of trajectory. The whole move is the same upface take off, u turn in the air and back down face landing. The U turn is facilitated by looping the kite backward with the rear hand on the bar. Front hand grab just forward of mid rail to help turn the board and let the foil whip a bit.

Heel side airs, mostly working amplitude now. Has a bit of the upwind, turn and down wind landing to it, but not as pronounced as toe side. The kite loop seems to be more for absorbing landing force on heel side for me, so the resulting change in trajectory is sort of after the fact and more a part of the landing, making it more of a transition. Mostly front hand grab of heel side rail at front heel, but really working on setting up the kite position deep in the window and pointed skyward before carving up face to shoot back past noon during the air allowing front hand on the bar and rear hand grab on leeward rail almost mid board. This one is going to be sick once its working as it also has potential for major foil whip at apex. Kite flies back past noon at take off, and the loft is from front hand pressure pulling it into a forward kite loop on landing.

Should be working on back loop transition airs on my strong side, but have been away for the past week with only a few moments on foil.

Other than that, mostly just trying to get my simple tack (body does not really move at all, board goes through eye of the wind rather level under foot, and you remain heel side. Slickest tack there is, looks like nothing really. No loop, no lean, no Wow in the corner, just slick as shit and looks completely effortless. I get those down by the end of the season and I'll be content.

Should also attempt a big spin, but its still pretty counterintuitive to put the foil backward, even if its not supposed to stay there. Maybe a simple 360 air would be a better place to start.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:09 pm

I think I'll reach my geriatric age before I get to where many of you are. Seems to take ages for me to learn stuff. Perhaps I'm entering the geriatric age.

Strapless, Working on weak side heal to toeside tacks and 360. Have those claimed on strongside.
No airs.
Going out in stronger winds 22knots + and head high junk waves in those conditions, but rarely.

Return to “Hydrofoil”