Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Heavy rider equipment

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Heavy rider equipment

Postby Herman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:07 am

At 100kg, ignore winds below 15kn on a TT, especially as a learner. Take it from me, it's just frustrating for us larger humans.
Yep I agree with Blackend! It is so much easier to learn to ride when properly powered. Trouble is you have to get the brain to accept that it is a good idea to tie yourself to something that could hurt you. You just have to commit and still TCUP. Imho the best way to help your brain over this stage is improve your kite skills.

Hence for those who are serious I recommend planning a quiver from the start. Then buy the largest and the smallest. The largest for the water and the smallest to use in relatively light conditions on land to develop kite handling skills before hitting the water. But this is coming from somebody who learnt a long time ago when lessons or instructors did not exist! Also the kites were more likely to kill you if you tried to go on the water without good kite skills!
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
AdamskiNL (Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:46 am

I'm nearly at your wheight (90kg) and at that wind range I use a 14m O Enduro, and twin-tip or foilboard and I cover from 8-25 knots no problem.

So I advice you to not get a larger kite than 15m, cause later on you could add a foilbord, but at your stage a large door board or large finned surfboard will do the trick as you improve your riding.

From my point of view, in light wind, the board is more important than the kite.
These users thanked the author BOEMIX for the post:
AdamskiNL (Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:27 pm)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:55 am

Has any of you heavier guys tried the single strut kites? My experience as a lighter rider is that bigger kites (older ones certainly) need active flying to keep in the air below about 12 knots - something that adds extra problems for a learner.

I'm wondering if the big single strut kites work for heavier riders in the big sizes. I know that the 17m Airush ultra is used by some kite schools to teach in low wind (less than 10 knots) so might be an option worth considering. Don't know for heavy riders though I'd expect it to be fine if less grunty and needing more active flying than some.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
AdamskiNL (Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:26 pm)

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:39 am

Get a seat harness and you be able to hold down more power.

I would get the 15 meter Contra, you can depower it a lot when wind comes up. Look at what other guys your size are using during different days - take binoculars if needed to read the numbers. There’s also 17 and 19 Contras if needed. Smaller kite 12 or 11 switchblade.

Get a high volume pump like wfmg or an electric one.

On your twin tip board get the widest and longest one in the model you like. I like the Crazyfly Raptor.
These users thanked the author Dave_5280 for the post:
AdamskiNL (Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:26 pm)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:42 pm

AdamskiNL wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:41 pm
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on what size kite you guys would recommend as my first kite? Think Switchblade or EVO
I'm 195cm (6,3) and 100kg (220)

The wind is about 7-22 kts here.

I'm looking for a fun ride.

Looking forward to your advice
Don't say what your water is like -- flat pond, choppy lake or ocean swell...?

Forget about anything under probably 12 knots. You're probably not going to have "fun" until 16 knots.

I'd go 17m Contra and a 12m Switchblade, pair them with a door if you're really desperate for the low end, and/or an efficient 140x42-sized twin tip.

Foil will be more fun...
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
AdamskiNL (Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:25 pm)

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:16 pm

12kts 100kg and LEI is not going to work, as some people mentioned for your weight minimum wind you need 15kts unless you get foil kite.
LEI kites in 17m size are only ok-ish if wind is steady, they have like 4kts range, you get overpower very quickly. You would need at least 14kts on 17m away. They fall off sky very easy in lulls, not really fun if kites inverts as a results and you need to relaunch it.
Get 11m and 15m and maybe 8m if you ever experience >25kts
These users thanked the author SolarSet for the post:

runner1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Kilda

Postby runner1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:27 pm

Daversj wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:31 am
Get an Ozone Zephyr 17m. You will use it for half of all your kiting. Its a big powerful kite that has huge range and turns fast if you crank on it. I haven't found a better kite for big guys. I have owned three of them and It was a must have for teaching big guys to kite. The Cabrinha Contra 15,17m has grunt for big guys as well, but smaller range, turns much slower, and more bar pressure. Thank me in a year.
I am the same size as the OP (6'3", 100kg) and this advice is spot on. The zephyr is a great kite, not as powerful as some 17m, but great range, easy to fly and goes upwind well.
These users thanked the author runner1 for the post:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:51 pm

Interesting to see the differences in opinion.

I wrote a long post earlier, but it seems like I forgot to actually post it? My short version for someone being around 100kg and slightly taller than the OP.

1. I hate big boards. Boring. Personal opinion which obviously is not true for everyone (with big I mean these light wind boards - not big as in 142x42 or something like that)
2. I think the Zephyr is a great kite, but when I replace my current quiver I will never go larger than 13 or maybe 14 again. I have used my 17 a lot and it has saved me plenty of times on holiday especially, but I grown out of riding kites that slow.
3. For heavier riders I prefer high aspect kites with more struts. On the flip side riding something like a Rebel or similar can be quite challenging for a beginner. Yank it too much crashing or something and both you and the kite will fly all over the place. So for someone less experienced I don't know. For me those are two things that conflict a bit with each other. Others might have other views there?
4. At 100kg you can ride most kites at 22 knots I would say. So in that sense 17m and 12m covers you well (and they overlap each other quite nicely). 17-12 also allows you to add a 9 later which would then cover you for almost all conditions. I have been to Brazil and South Africa, but never have I used a smaller kite than 9. Sometimes I would have liked to, but 9 to 17 will cover most conditions in most places.

My next quiver will be something like 8-10-13/14. So if I was in your position I would go 10-13/14, but 17-12 is not a bad combination if you just want to get out on the water. I have not regretted for a second that I went 17-12 initially (added 9 and 7 later), but as you mature as a kitesurfer priorities change (taken years though).
These users thanked the author Havre for the post (total 2):
alford (Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:25 pm) • AdamskiNL (Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:25 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Delta99
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stockholm
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Delta99 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:29 pm

I'm 100 kg 194 cm. You have gotten some really good advice in the forum. The Ozone Zephyr is a great kite. And really good to learn on since the large kites move slowly so you as a beginner have time to understand cause and effect. Going out in high winds with a small kite is frustrating as a beginner. Everything happens too fast.

However I'm also a great fan of Cabrinha Switchblade. So easy to use and works for everything. Solid. I have had many kites and for people asking advice what to start with I say get Cab Switchblades and don't think more about your gear. Just go out. So a Switchblade 12 would be perfect in your quiver and this then points to having a Cab Contra 17 so you can use the same bar.

I loved my Ozone Zephyr and rode it in 13/14 to 20+ knots. Amazing. However, my Cab Contra 17 works in even less wind, but has a lower top end. Both are great kites.

RE boards you'll be fine on a 145/45-ish type of all-round board. For eg a Xenon Rayo. Don't go smaller. It will make you happy for many years. For the really low end I also have a large "door". It does really make a huge difference for us large humans and saves some sessions. Mine has all the fins on the heel side so it holds the edge easily and tracks upwind like crazy. However, some find this too booring, just going back and forth so they like another style of door. Mine actually jumps OK though thanks to the good edge grip. But get the other board first and don't think more about your gear. Enjoy, kitesurfing will change your life. 😃
These users thanked the author Delta99 for the post:
AdamskiNL (Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:24 pm)

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:01 am

Anyone ridden the Contra 19m?

Return to “Kitesurfing”