jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Review of Airush Ultra versus Ocean Rodeo Aluula Flite, 14m

Postby jkrug » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:53 pm

winds were light, 9-10 mph. seas flat. on 1200m Armstrong foil. me, about 200 lbs. i couldn't really get going on my 12m Ozone Alpha. So kindly, a couple of friends lent me the two titled 14Ms. Note: Flite Aluula is 14.5M. Results: both 14M's are slow movers. Because they're 14M's. The Aluula didn't make the kite any faster regards turning. Both kites wanted to drop from the sky while dragging out. I blame part of that on me as I haven't really flown kites this big in years. Once I got more used to them I knew better when it was time to loop to prevent slow sink to sea. The Aluula was noticeably lighter in the air and regards bar pressure. Both kites got me up and going on foil. The Aluula had stronger pull/force...I was flying on it versus just getting by on the Airush. The Aluula made transitions easier, just kind of floating overhead but with enough force to keep me going. Overall, i was more comfortable on the Aluula. I didn't try relaunch on either...i was borrowing them! That said, the Airush is about $1500, the Aluula about $2700. Both kites saved me from sitting on the beach. If money is no object, the Aluula clearly wins. Is it worth $1200 more? Again, if money is no object...
These users thanked the author jkrug for the post (total 2):
dkazhdan (Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:27 pm) • MrValle (Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:18 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Re: Review of Airush Ultra versus Ocean Rodeo Aluula Flite, 14Ms

Postby mar menor » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:01 pm

As you have a 12m Ozone alpha have you tried the 14m or 16m?

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Re: Review of Airush Ultra versus Ocean Rodeo Aluula Flite, 14Ms

Postby jkrug » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:40 pm

mar menor wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:01 pm
As you have a 12m Ozone alpha have you tried the 14m or 16m?
thought the 14m alpha was a dog. never tried the 16m. the alpha's tend to feel heavier than other single struts so i wouldn't go bigger than a 12m with them. they do relaunch easier than others though.

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Re: Review of Airush Ultra versus Ocean Rodeo Aluula Flite, 14m

Postby Pierrot » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:49 pm

jkrug wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:53 pm
The Aluula didn't make the kite any faster regards turning.
Interesting. Quite unlike my experience when I flew the first version of the aluula roam (black version) and compared back to back with my North Neo.
Maybe has to do with the design of the flight model.
Can't wait to confirm when I receive the Roam :D

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:23 pm

I was out the other day in 6-7 knots on my 10m Ultra and 800cm wing. I didn't have enough juice to get going, but the kite was staying in the area. I waited for the wind for 20 min or so, didn't drop the kite at all. I think if I was on my 1300cm surf wing I could've been riding, but I brought the wrong wing.
Another guy was out on his 14.5m Aluula trying to foil without too much success. He is a good kiter, but new to foiling, so couldn't nail the light wind technique.
He gave me his 14.5 Aluula, I got up for 1 tack, wind died another 1 knot or so, and I was skunked, not enough power to ride, but kite still in the air.
This whole time there was another guy on a 9m Ultra waiting for the wind, kite was in the air the entire time (40 min or so)

The 14.5 Aluula I no doubt had more power than the 10m Ultra, but I was still under powered and could've used a few more knots, where I know if it picked up a few more knots, the Ultra 10m would've worked anyways.
So, point is, like jkrug said, both kites do well in light wind, and the Aluula is a lighter kite so it should do a hair better, but is it worth the extra money?

Well, put it this way, would you rather have a 1 single brand new Aluula? 2 brand new Ultras? or 3 last years Ultras?

The evolution of materials is exciting, but it's a serious premium to be the first kid on the block with it.
It will be more interesting once more brands can play with it and mature the kite design specifically for these lighter stronger materials such as Aluula.

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:26 pm

We have many foilers using the Utra here, and these kites are pretty impressive. I have not tried one yet... from what I have seen and experienced
- Aluula will not necessarily have a significant advantage over a light 1 strut/no strut kite like the Ultra for its ability to stay in the air
- Also I'm not expecting any strong impact on "power per sqm". The Aluula kite I flew was a 10m and it had the power of a 10m...
so this is pretty consistent with what you have observed.

To me the big benefit was on how "fun" and safe it was to fly in light wind: super solid and stable even in gusty shifty wind, light bar pressure, huge drift, extremely fast turning, great relaunch... but again these are impressions from almost 10 months ago :-) I hope I won't be disappointed!

Is it worth the extra $$$? good question...

Return to “Hydrofoil”