Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Torque Bar - flag line knot slipped through stopper

Forum for kitesurfers
taiguy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Naish Torque Bar - flag line knot slipped through stopper

Postby taiguy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:39 pm

So this is a new one for me. I was out yesterday on an upwinder and heard a twang sound. All four lines are still connected to my kite and it seems like it's still in the air. Then I realize the twang sound is coming from my safety line as it's completely loaded. There is a plastic stopper that captures a knot on my flag line, and that stopper is then caught by the center line organizer. The knot slipped through the plastic stopper.

Aside from having a loaded flag line, one center is now effectively longer than the other. It gives the kite some weird flying characteristics for sure. I made it back to shore and then swapped out bars before heading out again.

Now to try and fix this. I can't find a replacement part for this on Naish's website. This is for the 2020 ATB Torque Bar. Has anyone else seen this or recommendations on how to fix this?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Re: Naish Torque Bar - flag line knot slipped through stopper

Postby kitexpert » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:26 pm

Yes I've seen that happen. It all goes down to have correct size of knot and hole respectively. In your case the issue is that plastic part which has a bit too big hole in it.

I wouldn't recommend to make a bigger knot because it can stuck when quick release is used and then safety system of the kite may not work, which can be very dangerous of course. But if this must be done it have to be checked that knot goes through the bar and most importantly through the chicken loop surely.

It shouldn't been too difficult to replace that plastic pearl, or even to make one. I've done several of them (and other bar/mixer parts) from POM plastic (same material as original part).

Jfactor
Rare Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco, 3rd Ave
Gear: Slingshot SST 4, 6, 8, Flite 10m, Lift 110, 170

Postby Jfactor » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:43 pm

Use the ozone stopper ball from kiteboarding.com. The hole is TINY and will probably require you to open it up a tad. I’m using these on the bars I’m making and there’s no way you’ll have the knot pass through again.

https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp ... opper_ball

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:15 pm

Undo the loop to loop connection and make it like in the photo - you'll get a larger knot. Check if it runs smoothly through the QR.
And look for a replacement part. If it happened once, it can happen again. Even with the bigger knot.
Attachments
IMG_20200801_220901.jpg
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post (total 2):
merl (Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:08 pm) • taiguy (Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:03 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Larry Pinta
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 12m/8m
Has thanked: 0

Postby Larry Pinta » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:39 am

Hi,

I have the same bar but my stopper has been replaced with an blue aluminum stopper vs black plastic stopper. It came spec with the aluminum on both 2020 bars I purchased in spring 2020.

Worth chatting with your local shop/purchase location regarding a replacement.
These users thanked the author Larry Pinta for the post:
iriejohn (Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:57 am)
Rating: 3.03%

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:44 am

Larry Pinta wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:39 am
Hi,

I have the same bar but my stopper has been replaced with an blue aluminum stopper vs black plastic stopper. It came spec with the aluminum on both 2020 bars I purchased in spring 2020.

Worth chatting with your local shop/purchase location regarding a replacement.
Hmmm they should have gone for a thicker flagout line and bigger hole through the chickenloop so it can run smoothly when flagging.

Knowing Naish they didn't test the aluminum stopper for wear and it will probably eat up the lines like the old sheet metal line organizer without stopper.

It is problem I see with most brands: hole through the quick release that is too small so they have very tight tolerances for the stopper connection between the flagout and power line. Either pulling through the line organizer or getting stuck in the quick release.
Just go with an 8mm hole like Ozone and it makes life way easier.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:12 pm

I've had this problem on homemade bars. What I do is thread (Splice) a thin bit of line through the loop of the safety line. The line goes inside the loop like a splice. This makes the connection quite a bit bigger and should fix the problem. I also liked nixmatters' idea which is very simple..
These users thanked the author merl for the post (total 2):
Faxie (Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:07 pm) • nixmatters (Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:53 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:08 pm

merl wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:12 pm
I've had this problem on homemade bars. What I do is thread (Splice) a thin bit of line through the loop of the safety line. The line goes inside the loop like a splice. This makes the connection quite a bit bigger and should fix the problem. I also liked nixmatters' idea which is very simple..
Same here. Just keep in mind that the line still clears the QR hole.

runner1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Kilda

Postby runner1 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:17 pm

I had the same thing happen. Inspect the black stopper very closely and you will almost certainly see a very small crack which allows the hole to open and the knot to slip through. It happened on a batch of the stopper balls, Naish made a stronger replacement.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:07 pm

OP, if you are making that connection (loop to loop knot) bigger, make sure that the spliced-in line piece (merl's suggestion) or the twist (the photo I posted above) is on the safety line and not on the flying line.
This way the excess wear from the stopper part will be on the safety line - easier/cheaper to replace than 2 front lines, even if you are replacing just the lower sections.

Return to “Kitesurfing”