Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Launches The Reach

Forum for kitesurfers
TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby TheJoe » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:50 pm

ku_perk wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:30 pm
Hi guys! Could you compare the Reach to the Orbit? I recently tested Reach, Switchblade and Evo and was impressed most with the Reach, but didn’t have a chance to ride the Orbit. Is the Reach a more developed product? Is the sacrifice on boost and hang time big?
The difference is in versatility between the 2. The Reach is an all around kite that is a little bit better than most all around kites out there. The Orbit is a big air kite. The Orbit wants more wind than what you think it does. I tried the 12m and it did not feel like a 12m it felt smaller. It all so flew too far forward in the window since It was on the low end of the kite. It jumped pretty well for the light winds I was flying in.

The Reach is not going to jump as high but it gets up there. I just got a quiver of them to be able to ride every style of riding. I'm getting older so I'm doing more big air and learning to foil. I would score it from best to worst Foil, Surf, Big air, then Freestyle. But the difference between them is not a huge gap. There just is not that much compromise in this kite. Can you ride a better kite for any of these disciplines certainly a dedicated Freestyle kite is going to be better at giving slack just like a high aspect 5 strut kite will boost higher. However you can do it all with this one kite.

If you want an all around kite, or a beginner not knowing what you want to do as your progress then the Reach is a perfect kite for you. If you just want to boost as high as possible and float forever then the Orbit will be better. I'm 100% thrilled with the Reach and not needing 3 different quivers to enjoy multiple styles of riding.
These users thanked the author TheJoe for the post:
McLovin (Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:35 pm

Does anyone knows the weight of this 12m²?
Why North does not inform the weight as all good brands are doing ?

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:24 am

LeoLeal wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:35 pm
Knowing the weight of kites is only a relatively recent must-have. I'd assume due to the rise in foiling. I think Duotone only started doing it in 2018 for the 2019 season. I'm sure they'll get to it when the company gets into more of a routine.

Personally I'd like to see board weights as a priority as I don't bother kiting until 18kn. :)

mattaiken MYS NKB
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:47 am

LeoLeal wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:35 pm
I don't have a 12m handy, but I'll get you a weight as soon as I can. Mirroring the comment of Blackened, the total static weight (dry, not moving, etc) is "a" factor in a kite's performance, and I hope, whether you choose to buy a North kite or not, please do not put too much weight into this alone (pun intended). Light wind flying ability is not entirely base on a kites weight. Anyway, wait for some numbers please.

Jeremey76
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: katwijk aan zee
Favorite Beaches: katwijk aan Zee Dolphins beach Hermanus
Style: free ride big air
Gear: North Atmos hybrid 2023 North orbit 2023 8-9-12. Flysurfer soul2 18

Postby Jeremey76 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:30 am

ku_perk wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:30 pm
Hi guys! Could you compare the Reach to the Orbit? I recently tested Reach, Switchblade and Evo and was impressed most with the Reach, but didn’t have a chance to ride the Orbit. Is the Reach a more developed product? Is the sacrifice on boost and hang time big?
I got a set of Reaches 11-9-7-5 also a orbit 8m2 for me the reach is a good combination between the orbit and a pulse in jumps it has the lift like an orbit but when you loop it it feels more like a pulse but not that aggressive pull forward it is more forgiving i tested al the north kites and i am not a waver so the surf side of the reach i cannot comment on i tested the carve as wel and between all the north models the reach has the lightest bar pressure it almost feels weird. u can see 1 orbit kite in our quiver yes that is my go 2 30 knots plus kite the hangtime of the orbit is just so much fun.

dewwy
Medium Poster
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle
Gear: -

Postby dewwy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:27 pm

Does anyone have experience with the 15m for light wind wakestyle riding?
These users thanked the author dewwy for the post:
kyter (Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:22 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Nickcallejo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 185
Local Beach: Jupiter
Favorite Beaches: Shower 33 in juno/ kite beach
Hood river event site
Style: Wakestyle!!
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: Rider for north and mystic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nickcallejo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:16 pm

I’m a wakestyle rider and got the chance to ride the 15 meter reach in the Kite park in Cape Hatteras. The kite is an absolute weapon for freestyle/wakestyle light wind riding. The low end power and light three strut design gives you a nice sturdy feel on any features your hitting without sacrificing turning speed or upwind capability. In simple terms the reach will keep you juiced up long after everyone else has resorted to their foil.

ShredThaGnar
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 2nd Ave N.
Wiggins Pass
Tigertail Beach
Big Hickory Island
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Skyway
Curry Hammock
Veterans Beach
Coco Plum
Jetty Island
Style: The Freshest
Gear: 2015 14m FX
2016 11m Chaos
2013 9m RPM

2016 Naish DUB 138X43
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ShredThaGnar » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:48 pm

dewwy wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:27 pm
I got to fly the 9m, 12m and 15m Reach. All sizes unhook very well surprisingly. The kite was designed to surf, foil, boost and loop. Normally there’s always a trade off but this kite in every size has been so fun to fly. When you first launch this kite, especially in the 12m and 15m you’ll notice the light bar pressure right away. It almost feels there’s not enough. But as soon as you dive the kite the bar pressure is exactly what it should be. Medium to light which makes handle passing a breeze. The 15m was designed the be very light in the sky (lighter bladders, less Dacron etc.) so the kite is light. This allows the kite to almost float with the lines slacked. It’s hard to explain, however when you load and pop this kite feels floaty without being ripped off the water like a bow kite. But then parks itself giving you plenty of slack without sacrificing low end capabilities like most freestyle/wakestyle kites. That being said, you won’t get stuck in lightwind with the Reach in the water. The 12m and 15m will relaunch in a puff of wind. The Reach 15m is perfect for those light wind half load and powered up freestyle/wakestyle sessions. You’ll also notice the Reach does not back stall. It’s tuned perfectly right out of the bag. The Reach will be my next quiver, with the 15m being my go to lightwind wakestyle kite. I flew the 14m Pulse last week in Hood River. Amazing wakestyle kite especially in the 14m, however the Reach is going relaunch it bit easier and can be used in a wide array of styles such as foiling, surf, boosting. The advantage of the Reach is going to be low end and relaunch. If you’re a dedicated wakestyle rider I’d recommend the Pulse. If you enjoy unhooking, but also see yourself foiling, doing boardoffs etc the Reach is the choice. The only disadvantage of the 15m Reach is not having friends to unhook with in lightwinds.

I hope this answered your question. If you have any questions on North Kites shoot me a message. I’ve flown almost every model and size in most wind conditions. I’ve also been kiting for 13+ years and have flown most brands.

🤙🏼

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:22 pm

Guys,
I would like some help here. I'm thinking about buy a North Reach, for most of the time i will be using on a waveboard ProVoke (wind 11 knots to 18 knots), my weight is 83 kg or 183 lbs.
Which size should i take? 11m² ou 12m²?

Is there a lot of diference between this two?

luca
Frequent Poster

Postby luca » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:17 pm

You should go with the 12m.
I am using it as well with 75kg from 12-20 with the TT, 8-12 with the foil.

Return to “Kitesurfing”