Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Large foils: kite vs wing thing

Forum for wing surfers
bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Large foils: kite vs wing thing

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:30 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:48 am
bigtone667 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:04 pm
I am pretty happy to kite, SUP foil and Wing foil on an AXIS 1020 or 1010 ........ I just added excitement by going the ultra short fuselage and tiny rear wings. Once I get an 1150 I will probably dump the 1010 and stick with two monsters for everything.
Yeah but you're a weirdo :lol: short fuse/small stab certainly enlivens the big wings...
I am just having most epic fun carving around like a lunatic on a foil that doesn't get much over 10 knots. Slow for the carve.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:27 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:32 am
Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:46 am
You don't have to ride it/them all the time ;) If you only planned on buying one wing or foil at a time then that would affect your decision, but it's pretty cheap to get another wing. I know you got more than one :D
For sure! I think I have settled on the happy combo for me at the moment. GoFoil Kai (1200) for kiting, and IWA front wing (1700) for wingfoiling. I've also used the Kai for Winging, and IWA for kiting, but that's much better the other way around.
And despite having a van and plenty of capacity to carry lots of gear around, it's actually nice to have something quite streamlined. Takes 5mn to go from one to the other, good on the wallet too!
Makes international travel easier too :D Did you sell the Spitfire?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:35 pm

bigtone667 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:30 am
I am just having most epic fun carving around like a lunatic on a foil that doesn't get much over 10 knots. Slow for the carve.
Remember when everyone insisted going slow wasn't fun and nobody would need a foil bigger than 600cm2? Good times.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:24 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:35 pm
bigtone667 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:30 am
Remember when everyone insisted going slow wasn't fun and nobody would need a foil bigger than 600cm2? Good times.
But I also remember learning on the original liquid force foil (with the fish board) and a 19m Edge. The fun times I had. :o

Now I lean towards a 2000cm2 foil and a 13.4 or 17m Cloud on those lighter days. Generally switch to a wing once it is 10m kite weather. :D

The addition of the foil has added so much to the sport.
These users thanked the author bigtone667 for the post:
juandesooka (Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:02 am)
Rating: 3.03%

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:24 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:27 pm
bragnouff wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:32 am
Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:46 am
You don't have to ride it/them all the time ;) If you only planned on buying one wing or foil at a time then that would affect your decision, but it's pretty cheap to get another wing. I know you got more than one :D
For sure! I think I have settled on the happy combo for me at the moment. GoFoil Kai (1200) for kiting, and IWA front wing (1700) for wingfoiling. I've also used the Kai for Winging, and IWA for kiting, but that's much better the other way around.
And despite having a van and plenty of capacity to carry lots of gear around, it's actually nice to have something quite streamlined. Takes 5mn to go from one to the other, good on the wallet too!
Makes international travel easier too :D Did you sell the Spitfire?
I still have the Spitfire, I still use it for strapped foiling every now and then, or for teaching

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:02 am

bragnouff wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:24 pm
I still have the Spitfire, I still use it for strapped foiling every now and then, or for teaching
Hey Bragnouff, fellow GoFoil rider, plus I just got a spitfire -- twinzies across the pond. I have been using Maliko200 winging, but now when nicely powered I am using Iwa, as I find the Maliko gets a bit much dropping into wind swells. Kai would be next level further, I'd think you need a lot of wind to make that work. Have you tried the GL series high aspect wings yet? I attempted to DIY a GL180 and 140, limited success so far ... unsure if it's the poor designer or just not used to how differently the high aspect rides. Quite a bit less lift, faster once once up but a bit skatey. I just made a copy of the 18w stabilizer, that's a winner, noticably less drag, recommended.

I haven't tried kai for kiting yet, maybe I will. I have been loving the spitfire though, torn whether I like the speed and lightness of the XLW or the lift and stability of the XXLW ... lighter wind the XXLW, higher wind the XLW. I am finding that sub 15kt, the big wing thing is a bit meh, too much work for the fun generated, I am more enjoying ripping around on the kite foil in light wind. So, the wing dream of light wind wave riding is evolving, so far seems most fun as a higher wind (bigger wind swell) toy ... but that may change once surf season starts.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:45 am

Hi Juan,
I still like the Spitfire XLW, and the XXLW, although the XXLW is even heavier. And that creates some unnecessary issues with the big 36L board that I use, for waterstarts and general handling in the breakers. And I ride that big board in case I have to swim back if I crash the Peak kites... The GoFoils float, and keep that big board gently on its side when needed, so that makes things much easier overall. Cold water makes me a lazy kiter! And of course, the Kai is a really nice foil to ride with! I keep the Spitfire for strapped riding or low volume boards and LEI kites.
I haven't tried the GL series yet, but main thing I found for the GoFoil is to give the chop to that big blue stab, or use the Kai rear wing if you have it. Much less drag, more lively, and overall no negative tradeoff that I found. I'm pretty happy with the IWA / small tail wing combo. Surely a 2500cm2 foil would extend the low end, but then I'm yet to be convinced that it would be fun. I have had dual sessions last weekend, and I can kitefoil with the 5m Peak in less wind than I need for winging on a 6m. And I go faster, point higher, have full visibility and overall a much more nimble craft, and setup is half the time, and it'd fit in a small city car, and... But that's not the point, I'm learning some new skills, that hopefully will open up some more riding opportunities for the season ahead.

Return to “Wingsurfing”