Re: First impression of Gong M Pro

Postby Flyboy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:01 pm

TomW wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:35 am
Flyboy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:51 pm
TomW wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:43 am

Yes. All surf wings fit onto both aluminum surf fuselage and carbon mast/ fuselage.
It wasn't clear to me that the Veloce was considered a "surf wing".
Yes, it is. There are lots of people kiting on the M size wings.

Three surf wings each available in 4 sizes: M- L-XL-XXL
Rise
Pro ( Pro and Curve Pro Clear are same wing)
Veloce.

Stabs:
Surf 40,45,55
Veloce 43,47
Kite 40,45
Got it! It's a bit confusing how Gong lays out their options, as for instance the "Rise" doesn't even appear under the kite foil WINGS/STABS/FUSELAGES/MASTS section, although it shows up in the KITEFOIL section. I think it might make sense for them to have a single chart listing all the options & compatibilities.

On the positive side, it's great that they are continuing to expand their line with a range of realistic options. Waiting to see if they bring out a 90cm/80cm carbon mast/fuselage option.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby merl » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:26 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:01 pm
On the positive side, it's great that they are continuing to expand their line with a range of realistic options. Waiting to see if they bring out a 90cm/80cm carbon mast/fuselage option.
I got a mail from Gong after I enquired about this (more specifically, about a must between the 70 and the 100 size). This is what they said:
100 PRO MAST Height : 105cm Length : 54,5cm - This is a top of the range version of our mast that we reserve for experienced riders.
The vast majority of kite riders are turning to a 100 version to optimize its performance.
So we will not produce an 80/85 version.
If you want something other than 75 or 105 in carbon then you and a load of other people will need to let gong know!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:37 pm

merl wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:26 pm

The vast majority of kite riders are turning to a 100 version to optimize its performance.
So we will not produce an 80/85 version.
I wonder what percentage of people on kite forum are using, or wanting to use a 100cm+ mast?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:30 pm

Gong sells 100cm mast and fuse for 699€.
Tooling costs 25000€ according to Gong. So they are going to have to sell around 1000 of them over 2 years to amortize the tooling to 25€ per mast.
Maybe they could do kickstarter type of funding...

Yes, Gong needs better editing and organization on their website. I suspect they know, but don't have time to do it. Sometimes it is difficult to realize your site is confusing because as insider you already " know" and don't see the inconsistency.

My Veloce with 100cm mast is in transit. Its blowing 15-18ms with squalls last 3 days and will continue like this a few more days and then a few days of 8-9ms in between until next storm. Hoping weather will settle down soon. Life at 56N

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:10 pm

Beautiful day today. Steady 10 - 12 knots with the MPro, 3'6" Dwarfcraft & an 8m wave kite. My gybes are getting more consistent - biggest issue is making sure the kite continues to turn & doesn't stall as I gybe downwind towards the kite it light winds. The MPro is impressive in staying up on foil with almost no forward motion as the kite comes around.

I can honestly say that this Gong foil as been the single best purchase of my kiting career so far (well, perhaps along with the purchase of my first Airblast in 2001).

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:56 pm

sketch1594382112231.png
Veloce M with 100cm carbon mast. Test tomorrow.

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:11 am

Hello all,

this is the thread that made me curious of the GONG foil (enough to buy one!) so I'm tapping the collective knowledge :)

Does anyone know the impact of the Kite stab 40cm vs the Surf stab 40cm on the M or L Pro wings?

I just received the full carbon foil in L Pro size.
On the pictures in GONG's website, the foil is shown with the Surf stab, so felt confident that was going to be in the package.
Instead, received it with a Kite stab, 40cm... (originally developed for their small wing Allvator foil, I believe).

Main goals to me are light wind and surfing, so am afraid it won't do (too well).
Am a bit baffled at the choice of stab for such a big wing... I thought people wishing to go fast would have chosen the Veloce!!!
Thought "I Choose a Surf foil, they'll send it with a Surf stab"... Mysteries of GONG! :)

So, is there any consensus on how does it ride?
My curiosity is also heightened, because my Onda setup is 1225cm wing, and 316cm stab (483s), and it's very skatey already, with pinpoint turns.
This GONG is 1350cm wing, and I think 200(!)cm stab...

Ah well.
It is very possible it'll still be a blast to ride.
Am just a bit disappointed at the idea of waiting other 15 days to receive another stab, and at the fact that the GONG shop has many things out of stock since some time (but good for them, many things sell super fast).
I should have to purchase the normal Surf stab (not the newer, tougher Clear versions), which also lacks a whole.
Ouch, I'm miffed!

Thanks all!

Ulrik
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Hydrofoil,Waveriding
Gear: Shinn BronQ CRB4
Groove Skate 130,
Nobile Kite skim
Kitech FreeRS
Naish Pivot
Gong Unik
GONG KITEFOIL ALLVATOR FREEWAVE

Postby Ulrik » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:20 pm

I asked Gong for a Freewave M set, but with a change of stab from kite to surf.
This is their answer:
I fully recommend the kite stab 40cm with the front wing CURVE in kitefoil.
You will still have a very good lift at low speed (due to the front wing CURVE) and it will allow you better performance and a more reactive foil.
The surf stab is more thicker that will reduce considerably the speed (you will feel a brake).
You should definitely keep the kite stab 40cm from the kitefoil pack you selected.
If you really want a surf stab, you should consider to buy a surf stab in 40cm (with the front wing CURVE in size M) but we can't change a foil pack.

So I think I will buy the extra surf stab, just to have both options.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:28 pm

They sold me the M Pro with the surf stab it's too big the foil is too lifty too much down pressure from that stab on my setup. I had a 45cm stab from the kite foil but that was too big too so I had to cut it down and reshape the tips. It works sort of good now. I wish they had sent my the kite stab. If I order one the shipping to get it here is insane. I'm usign a Groveskate 130 maybe a bigger board it would work or a board with the mast further back.

Ulrik
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Hydrofoil,Waveriding
Gear: Shinn BronQ CRB4
Groove Skate 130,
Nobile Kite skim
Kitech FreeRS
Naish Pivot
Gong Unik
GONG KITEFOIL ALLVATOR FREEWAVE

Postby Ulrik » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:42 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:28 pm
They sold me the M Pro with the surf stab it's too big the foil is too lifty too much down pressure from that stab on my setup. I had a 45cm stab from the kite foil but that was too big too so I had to cut it down and reshape the tips. It works sort of good now. I wish they had sent my the kite stab. If I order one the shipping to get it here is insane. I'm usign a Groveskate 130 maybe a bigger board it would work or a board with the mast further back.
You got the 40 cm surfstab ?
I am also riding the Grooveskate 130, so your advise is to stick with the 40 cm kite stab ?

Ps. Is your Grooveskate a 2020 or 2019 model ? (On the 2020 version, the tracks are moved further back)

Return to “Hydrofoil”