Helicoils in Al struts

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Dugong
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 77 kg
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius.
Style: Surf and foil
Gear: Boardriding Maui Cloud kites, DIY and Moses foils, garage-sale surfboards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Helicoils in Al struts

Postby Dugong » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:53 am

It's some years later now… I'm curious, can anyone report on their experience with helicoils as a solution to repair galvanic corrosion in terms of their long-term performance? I recently used a Moses foil in which two of the three front-wing holes were partially or fully stripped for the stock screws.

I'm also curious how effective Loctite Red is for preventing corrosion between the helicoil and the aluminium. I'm guessing the connections still need to be greased to fend off any additional corrosion.

I'm curious about either mast or fuselage holes, although I guess mast holes are more demanding.

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby atomic-chomik » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:59 am

If you use the highest quality coils they work...for a time. Dont bother with cheap ones thats f sure. All in all not ideal but if necessary its the way to get thread.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:02 am

Helicoils need to be twisted from the furthest end of the hole so they have a bent straight bit at the end to turn them in. This is because twisting the close end against friction will wind the coil fatter and vice versa. So stacking seems impractical but I'm sure they can be ordered in various lengths.

Return to “Gear Builders”