Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

climate change / unpredictable weather/wind

Forum for snow- and landkiters
wedge
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: climate change / unpredictable weather/wind

Postby wedge » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:51 pm

Kind of amusing to watch Marlborough argue with himself like Smeagol.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:03 am

wedge wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:51 pm
Kind of amusing to watch Marlborough argue with himself like Smeagol.
Me and silent majority

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pemba » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:18 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:47 pm
palmbeacher wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:18 pm

Trump supporting MAGAt kiteboarders, I never realized such people existed...
What that has to do with green fraud? We are winning by the way.
Well done !
Another proud day for mama M. I guess. :lol: :lol:

prop_joe
Frequent Poster
Gear: twin tips

Postby prop_joe » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:02 am

palmbeacher wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:47 pm

And history will similarly view people who support Trump now in the same way we regard the 13.5 million Germans who voted for bad person Party candidate Adolf Hitler in 1932.
Cool... what about the climate thing, how does that work out for everyone?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:10 am

Anyone still on topic or just election debate?

unclebill
Medium Poster
Gear: mixed

Postby unclebill » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:43 am

Toby. I hope you don't close this thread. Even though it has gone off topic, the comments coming from some posters help to explain why there is such a wide range of opinion ranging from fanatical religious belief with predictions of the "end" to outright denial. I believe it is far better to know how people really feel about the topic. Speaking for myself, I would rather know that I am being compared to a Hitler supporter than not know someone feels that way.
These users thanked the author unclebill for the post:
prop_joe (Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Postby palmbeacher » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:52 am

The science is clear, the severity understood at the highest levels everywhere, and serious debates about what to do are turning into action. The deniers have nothing to contribute to this. But climate deniers are not all the same. They tend to fit into one of four different categories: the shill, the grifter, the egomaniac and the ideological fool.

The shill is the easiest to understand. He, and it almost always is he, is paid by vested interests to emit clouds of confusion about the science or economics of climate action. This uncertainty creates a smokescreen behind which polluters can lobby against measures that cut their profits.

A sadder case is that of the grifters. They have found themselves earning a living by grinding out contrarian articles for rightwing media outlets. Do they actually believe the guff they write? It doesn’t matter: they just warm their hands on the outrage, count the clicks and wait for the pay cheque.

The egomaniacs are also tragic figures. They are disappointed, frustrated people whose careers have stalled and who can’t understand why the world refuses to give full reverence to their brilliance. They are desperate for recognition, and, when it stubbornly refuses to arrive, they are drawn to make increasingly extreme pronouncements, in the hope of finally being proved a dogma-busting, 21st-century Galileo.

The ideological fool is the fourth type of climate denier, and they can be intelligent. But they are utterly blinded by their inane, no-limits version of the free-market creed. The climate emergency requires coordinated global action, they observe, and that looks horribly like communism in disguise.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:55 am

Why do you keep on with this palmbeacher? It has nothing to do with the topic and says more about you than the people you are describing.

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Postby palmbeacher » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:08 am

Havre wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:55 am
Why do you keep on with this palmbeacher? It has nothing to do with the topic and says more about you than the people you are describing.
Plenty of egomaniacs in the thread debating the fundamentals of science, so I don’t see why this is off topic?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:28 am

palmbeacher wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:08 am
Havre wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:55 am
Plenty of egomaniacs in the thread debating the fundamentals of science, so I don’t see why this is off topic?
That is not a discussion about how the fundamentals of science is understood (and I'm not defending all the other posts in this thread on that) - it is just a statement disclosing your personal biases.

And why would you lower yourself to be discussing at the same level as these egomaniacs?

If you had made in concrete in the context of this thread, then I could have understood, as it stands and with these general comments you are coming with it has no value.

What is your end goal here? To angrily tell everyone that disagree with you that they are idiots? Isn't that what Twitter is for?

If the science is clear. Why do you want to interfere with people that do not see it the same way unless you are here trying to make them/us understand? How would you make them/us understand? By telling us how ignorant and stupid we are (in four different ways)? Or by trying to explain the science? Or in this case analyse the biases them/we might have (which would have been fair if it was specific and not just general).

Return to “Snow / Land”