Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Can we all agree about slo-mo?

Postby bragnouff » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:54 am

Bit of a rant, but one year ago, everyone was saying that winging was soooo easy to learn. Now everyone and his dog feels the need to make some winging tutorials, just in case it wasn't easy enough to figure out. Look, I carry my board, and look, here's a knee start, wowwww. I get that, everyone wants to be Mr Popular on YouTube and rack in some followers. But please, why the slow motion? The sport itself is happening in slow motion, why the need to slow things down even more? Are we brain dead? Is that in case we'd miss the movement of that big board across the screen, or we'd miss a sneaky foot switch, and wouldn't understand anything otherwise?

When Keahi is deep inside a barrel, with the sunset poking its warming rays at the other end, then it is super legit to slomo, letting us have a grasp of that extraordinary furtive moment, yeah I'm perfectly fine with that. But some slow things in slow mo, unless in a super artistic concept art piece, is just gonna get irritating and insulting for the viewer. It's 2020, you're competing for viewer's attention, and there's a whole world of videos of f*in cats stuck in f*in blinds. Don't waste our time, have some self esteem, do something nice and exciting, or don't do it.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post (total 2):
edt (Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:10 am) • Eltreato (Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:25 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Can we all agree about slo-mo?

Postby ronnie » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:59 am

Nope.

The slomo makes it easier to grasp things like the co-ordination of pumping the foil with pumping the wing.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:09 pm

ok fair enough, this is a good video, and the slomo usage is rare and restricted to parts that benefit from it. Same goes for sped up parts. There's a skilled video editor who knows his craft and his tools, and uses them adequately.
Unfortunately that's not the norm.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:08 am

ronnie wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:59 am
Nope.

The slomo makes it easier to grasp things like the co-ordination of pumping the foil with pumping the wing.

Looks like a piece-of-cake! :wink:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:11 am

Just between you and me. yes. We can agree. I dont need any more slow mo with wings.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:34 am

Slow-mo is a Youtube cancer. So many videos have it. I personally don't even thing its good for instructional purposes. I would rather see how fast things should be done in real time. That way when I'm going over it in my head I'm mentally picturing how to do it at the proper speed of things. I think repetition teaches far better than slo-mo.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:06 am

bragnouff wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:54 am
<cut> But please, why the slow motion? The sport itself is happening in slow motion, why the need to slow things down even more? Are we brain dead?<cut>
People's learning strengths can be split into:
Visual (images and graphics, video)
Auditory (hearing)
Kinaesthetic (Doing)

For example I can learn(at my own pace) reading and watching and by doing. I'm not very good at taking in verbal instruction.
I absolutely suck at taking in dance steps other show me but if I dance, lots of people come around and copy me.

Personally, I like the slow motion video of critical steps on here but I still struggle to take it in even then and always have, I'm a strong kinaesthetic learner.
But in my imagination I'm going to learn something from watching slowed down tutorials and occasionally I do.
When I'm not being brain-dead watching slowed down videos I do inventive things like designing circuit boards, 3D models(over in gear builders or "fluidity" on thingiverse and other places), writing embedded and front end programs, writing 3D designs, learning metal casting and a surplus of other things too.

So please be tolerant to other people's different ballances of information gathering talents and keep in mind that whether you, I or they are introverts or extroverts, it's all part of the richness of human personality that makes other people more than mere carbon copies of ourselves.

I do watch real-time videos too 8)
Last edited by fluidity on Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:07 am

TheJoe wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:34 am
Slow-mo is a Youtube cancer. So many videos have it. I personally don't even thing its good for instructional purposes. I would rather see how fast things should be done in real time. That way when I'm going over it in my head I'm mentally picturing how to do it at the proper speed of things. I think repetition teaches far better than slo-mo.
Repetition- That would be kinaesthetic learning :thumb:

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:21 am

I’ll take any video over a bunch of lengthy verbal descriptions,.....or complaints.

Some angles like a tradional head mount are really limited to me whether kiting or winging

I generally dislike any music background. Plain old wind noise preferred

Real time speed is great, but if it’s showing endless footage of just riding in one direction, kiting or winging then gets boring. I like seeing slo-mo of things I want to learn. I also like seeing video of the crashes and less than perfect attempts required to learn something new, by average people rather than just the perfectly executed final version by some 25 yr old kid

I like seeing unedited clips of close linked moves. What are you actually doing out there for 3 minutes at a time, versus nothing but 6 second clips of unlinked tricks

I’ve seen endless clips of pro’s riding in amazing surf. I’ve yet to see any of someone getting worked in the impact zone, and getting themselves out of it, or actually getting out through challenging shore break.

Return to “Wingsurfing”